SoD vanilla M&B repeatedly crashing

Users who are viewing this thread

I recently got back into playing M&B, have the vanilla version 1.011, I believe, and installed the SoD mod v5.0 for it. I am on a win10 system, 6 GB mem, 500+ GB HD, yet, whenever I try to play, it allows me to play for a few min, or even an hour, but the more I get into certain activities, the more often it crashes the game completely, and the closer to my start point the crashes occur. For example, when I first started playing 24 hrs, ago, it seemed fine, when I continued that game, earlier in the day, I had completed one quest and was fighting bandits for, what I believe was my 6th total battle, when the game crashed midway through the battle sequence. I subsequently created a new character, story line, etc. and was following progression in fighting bandits, went back to the same town that requested help with training the troops, but halfway through the subsequent battle when the bandits showed up, the game crashed, and it seems it does this more when I dismount and use two handed melee weapons in battle than anything else. Is there a fix for this, is this a known issue, or what is going on, someone please help. And FYI, as I am a veteran M&B player, I do turn the cheats on, for the purpose of leveling my character up faster. I used to play the version that rolled out under the original developer team, and never had these kind of issues, not to say anything negative about the current team, but I am thinking something in the coding with the latest version caused it to go out of whack, either that or it doesn't like my laptop set up. Last machine I played on had 8 GB mem, 1 TB HDD, and was running either Win7 or WinVista, both machines use Intel processors.

Doesn't matter how much memory your system has if the game can't access it.  There's a 2Gb memory limitation in M&B (and most programs from that timeframe), but you can download a free utility to make the program 3Gb or 4Gb "aware".  There are probably a dozen or more such utilities out there (I used Google to find one), which require you to download and run the utility, select the program to modify, and it locates and modifies the program's memory allocation limits.  I had constant crashes with two different M&B mods practically every 15 minutes, and only 1 in the couple of months since running the fix.

The other issues with crashing involve accepting a duel over an insult to one of your kingdom's female nobles, which will not let you return to the world view OR even close the program with the Windows Program Manager (it just puts you right back in the program).  I had to log out and restart the computer.

Then there's the problem with building Universities, where it INCREASES your "badboy" rating instead of lowering it, making you hated by other kingdoms.  Once the AI kingdoms start building Universities in all of its towns, you can't take over those towns without permanently trashing your reputation.  No fix for it.

Well that seems like it would make sense, considering the last time I played was on an older version of Windows. So now my question is, can you link to me the address aware utility you utilized to stabilize your version of the game?

Unfortunately when I tried to download and run the enhanced version, my system kept flagging it as unverified, and would not let me run it, would not even give me the option of overriding security settings to install it. So now I am in a fix, I bought a game I enjoyed playing a few years ago, and downloaded a preferred mod for it, but since it keeps crashing every 15 min, I cannot even enjoy the game anymore. I tried to run it via a memory aware utility program but doing so corrupted the executable file for the game that I had to uninstall, and reinstall a clean version after getting rid of the utility. I am sorely disappointed, but the problem is, I am not sure where my disappointment lies, with my system, with the game, or what. I need some kind of a fix for this where it is not going to compromise the integrity of my system's security but will still allow me to enjoy a stable version of this game.

Here's a 4Gb memory aware link recommended by one of the TLD forum posters:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/

I used a different one on my PC at home, but I don't have the name or it or link to it here.

The "enhanced version" of the 1.011 patch should be slightly SMALLER than the other "official" 1.011 patch that the Taleworlds site links to.  It's in the library with the other patches, but finding it without a proper link can be annoying.  If you're running Steam, it may not let you install it, thinking that it's not the "correct" one.  That patch cleared up about half of my problems; the other half were fixed by the "large memory address aware" utility.  It's quite a hassle for something that SHOULD be the default installation by now.

Well I finally found an enhanced version of 1.011 that my security would allow through, however, that particular large address utility you linked me is the one that corrupted my first attempt at linking it with the default M&B, so I am not sure if it will work with the enhanced version. I will try running the enhanced version to see if it is more stable, and hopefully I won't even need to use the LAA utility

Back
Top Bottom