So... the Calradian "Empire" never had access to the sea?

Users who are viewing this thread

The borders of the Empire appear to be surrounded AND without sea access.

This sounds like something that could never happen. That's a tough position to maintain yet alone "achieve" and then call yourself an "Empire."

Will have to change that in game. Hope it's possible to conquer in their name and dominate the map.

Did the Vlandians take the best part of the Empire in a previous decade or something?

Last edited:
I think the Empire lost the wetern provinces (with the coastline) to the Vlandians, as well as their eastern provinces to the Khuzaits. It seems like they're a bit of a rump state.

Ah, the Vlandians. Yeah that part of the continent looked like the most important part to me. They really are in the best position of all the Kingdoms, given that with some simple transport craft your armies can pop up anywhere. Dangerous.

Read up on the lore a bit and you'll find your answer. The Vlandians were formerly tributaries to the Empire, and held land by its western shores. They then rose up and formed a kingdom.

That Kingdom alone doomed them. If this mirrored history at all, the geography is pretty clear in its intentions: one dead Empire. So I guess the devs did a good job in ensuring their sequel (the original game) has well justified borders and no empire.

The empire used to have coastal lands, but then the Vlandians usurped them along with the old imperial capital of Baravenos (which may be the original name for Pravend) and they also still have access to rivers which lead out to the sea.

Actually this sounds very cool. I can't wait to see what Baravenos looks like. Once they get the unique artwork for each city done. The old capital and the new one. Sounds very fun.

Also sounds like Taleworlds has bitten off a LOT to chew on. Let alone swallow.

This sounds like something that could never happen. That's a tough position to maintain yet alone "achieve" and then call yourself an "Empire."

I could go on, but you get the point. Landlocked states are rare simply because of how much coastline there is in the world. It's almost impossible to be a landlocked empire in Western Europe for example. Sea power was important but it wasn't the deciding factor in whether an empire got powerful or not. And since bannerlord has no naval combat, I don't see what the issue is from a gameplay perspective.

Read up on the lore a bit and you'll find your answer. The Vlandians were formerly tributaries to the Empire, and held land by its western shores. They then rose up and formed a kingdom.
Funny thing Is that after losing access to sea calradic empire invited Nords as galley crew and lost further land!

The value of access to the sea depends on what lands lie beyond. Perhaps the wider world around Calradia makes trading etc. less lucrative than in our world. That might be why the empire was comfortable to settle the Vlandians along the coast.

The borders of the Empire appear to be surrounded AND without sea access.

Will have to change that in game. Hope it's possible to conquer in their name and dominate the map.

Did the Vlandians take the best part of the Empire in a previous decade or something?
They ruled all of Calradia at one point.......................

As others have said, they ruled pretty much the whole continent once. Most notably, they recently lost what is now Vlandia to the Vlandians when they backstabbed their masters and declared independence.

That aside, the technical definition for an empire is merely "A political unit having an extensive territory or comprising a number of territories or nations and ruled by a single supreme authority." Or if you want to get real technical, you could say it was a kingdom that ruled over other kings. Plenty of empires have been landlocked over the centuries, surprisingly enough. It certainly pays to have sea access, but it's not required to maintain an empire by any means.

They ruled all of Calradia at one point.......................

Where is all this info!? It must be spread out over a lot of various sources, because there is no single sort of clearing house of this history I have found that has a cohesive presentation. WIKIs and dev blogs are not exactly organized for the overall flow.

The Golden Horde was a functioning mega empire without any sea power, so why would Calradic Empire not be?

Also imagine Calradia as a continent with many large lakes and rivers, enriching intra-trade with strong agricultural and community support. Thus establishing functioning empire.

I think the most important things have been cleared already, that the empire used to have coastline and that not all large and successful states in history have had it.

I just want to point out that the Empire still has access to all of Calradia's major rivers and lakes, which, as far as internal logistics go, are just as good as the sea. The only thing the empire doesn't have is direct access to trading partners outside Calradia but that's not necessarily a problem.

Back
Top Bottom