So many abandoned modifications

Users who are viewing this thread

Having different views/opinions about a game and claim the world is flat as a pancake quite different things. Bethseda doesn't adore their modders they wanted to monetize their work of which imho is far worse

People get labelled for their views on the game. If someone say something positive about the game or show they enjoy it they get the instant label of a fanboi or a white knight because they doesn't subscribe to your agenda. Meanwhile you get the label of being a hater and a troll. You can enjoy something and be critical to it, and you can critical to something and still be vested into it without the need for labels,

They are just opinions on different things, but opinions nonetheless. One is just far more stupid than the other, that's all. And yet the claim here is that Taleworld cares for its modders simply because they support modding. So, by the asinine logic, Bethseda also cares for its modders because it created a central page for them. The point? Creating room for something doesn't mean they care. TW knows the foundation of Warband was the mods, so why would they go out of their way to prevent it? That makes no sense, just as claiming they care about the modders makes no sense.

I'm not interested in the "they all get x" from people argument, it serves no purpose here. I've seen my fair of that being directly not true regardless. It's easier to dismiss the mindless fanboys that plague this forum by claiming all fans or anyone who has any positives to say about the game are "labeled" and "attacked" by the opposite, or acting like it's some create insult to call them out for it. It's not, so let's stop pretending the whole "don't give them labels" thing is akin to something like bigotry. If someone is acting like an andie, they get called an andie, just like when a troll acts out they get called a troll.

They are just opinions on different things, but opinions nonetheless. One is just far more stupid than the other, that's all. And yet the claim here is that Taleworld cares for its modders simply because they support modding. So, by the asinine logic, Bethseda also cares for its modders because it created a central page for them. The point? Creating room for something doesn't mean they care. TW knows the foundation of Warband was the mods, so why would they go out of their way to prevent it? That makes no sense, just as claiming they care about the modders makes no sense.

I'm not interested in the "they all get x" from people argument, it serves no purpose here. I've seen my fair of that being directly not true regardless. It's easier to dismiss the mindless fanboys that plague this forum by claiming all fans or anyone who has any positives to say about the game are "labeled" and "attacked" by the opposite, or acting like it's some create insult to call them out for it. It's not, so let's stop pretending the whole "don't give them labels" thing is akin to something like bigotry. If someone is acting like an andie, they get called an andie, just like when a troll acts out they get called a troll.
So we should all label you a bigot then? I'd rather not be forced to do so since I believe in the potential of all humans to progress for the better, even you have the potential to believe in Bannerlord and its glory.

Another heated debate about mods... Instead of quarrelling, can we estimate how many percent of all Bannerlord mods are active/ being developed as of now?
That would be interesting, but very fluctuating. Modders come and go.

That would be interesting, but very fluctuating. Modders come and go.
That is the thing with modders. They are not paid to work on the game, unlike the creators. When their interest in the game dwindle, or they find some other game that interest them more they prone to start make mods for. We don't just get one game and will stay loyal to that game forever and not play any other games. People usually get a game, play the heck out of it, then start play some other game. Then someday later want to play the game again.

Most mods come to frutation because a player feel there is something missing or need improved in the game, then have the skills to do something about it. Not because they driven by a desire to keep update the mod for years to come.

I'll give you my two cents.

When EA started, I was super excited for the game and started a small mod with some tweaks that I hoped would grow to eventually be a big Vanila+ kind of mod.

But after fighting with many breaking patches and,.most importantly, the time investment it took to decompile DLLs and parse through TW code to reverse engineer their stuff and then have to manually test my changes... It just became too much. Something like 60 to 70 percent of my steam game time was just debugging stuff and it burned me out.

e1.5 was the nail on the coffin for me. I got disillusioned with the game's progress and decided I'll come back to the game when it comes off of EA.

Now EA is, I guess technically, over but the vanilla game has still left a bad taste.

I want to wait another year or so to see what TW does with this game and see if it is worth coming back.

Having said all that, I genuinely thank the existing modders for creating some quite deep mods. Whenever I do decide to come back, it will be so much easier, to drink from their fountain, and hit the ground running.

Another heated debate about mods... Instead of quarrelling, can we estimate how many percent of all Bannerlord mods are active/ being developed as of now?

That might be really hard to estimate. I'd say probably just enough are still being developed it isn't easily seen how many have left. I took a good look through it this morning and a lot of the top downloaded ones haven't been updated since either late 2021 or mid 2022.

So we should all label you a bigot then? I'd rather not be forced to do so since I believe in the potential of all humans to progress for the better, even you have the potential to believe in Bannerlord and its glory.

Oh boy, I don't know which part of this post is funnier. Is it the bit about the bigot, or the end bit? They are both so good, it is hard to pick!

You'd need to do detailed collection and some analysis to get a good estimate. A lot of "mods" posted are things like simple character presets, others have been superseded by changes to game mechanics, a few have been outright implemented in the base game (quick talk, quick load, roads, larger granaries, etc.), and quite a few have been merged into other mods. And obviously there are translation submods -- not sure how you'd count those.

You'd need to do detailed collection and some analysis to get a good estimate. A lot of "mods" posted are things like simple character presets, others have been superseded by changes to game mechanics, a few have been outright implemented in the base game (quick talk, quick load, roads, larger granaries, etc.), and quite a few have been merged into other mods. And obviously there are translation submods -- not sure how you'd count those.
I think we can assume that Bannerlord has fewer mods than Warband and there are not many 'big' projects for the former that have progressed past a typical module size (i.e. that are not tiny tweaks, translation packs and so on).
Modding activity is roughly analogous to consistent player counts, so if 60% of unique monthly players have left then the same can probably be assumed for mods.
Yes but we have to keep in mind that Bannerlord is almost 3 years old and maybe it has the same statistics as any other game from which players migrate to play newer creations. In my opinion player count is not a measuring unit, contrary to number of meaningful mods for Bannerlord which can be compared to that of Warband. I know that Warband is much easier to mod but this fact will not matter to anyone playing Bannerlord who wants to experience something worthwhile.

I think we can assume that Bannerlord has fewer mods than Warband and there are not many 'big' projects for the former that have progressed past a typical module size (i.e. that are not tiny tweaks, translation packs and so on).

Yes but we have to keep in mind that Bannerlord is almost 3 years old and maybe it has the same statistics as any other game from which players migrate to play newer creations. In my opinion player count is not a measuring unit, contrary to number of meaningful mods for Bannerlord which can be compared to that of Warband. I know that Warband is much easier to mod but this fact will not matter to anyone playing Bannerlord who wants to experience something worthwhile.

Warband wasnt in early access for years, and got a decade worth of modding behind it. If you disregard early access Bannerlord been out like 4 month. If going to compare the two you kinda need to wait until Bannerlord is just as far long.

If you disregard early access Bannerlord been out like 4 month. If going to compare the two you kinda need to wait until Bannerlord is just as far long.
Yes but the release out of Early Access was like a normal version update and did not bring about anything really big. Modders started fiddling with Bannerlord as early as in the first half of 2020.

Yes but the release out of Early Access was like a normal version update and did not bring about anything really big. Modders started fiddling with Bannerlord as early as in the first half of 2020.

TW didn't say it would bring with it any big either. If i recall right from a gamescon interview back in 2018 already then it was stated majority of features and mechanics was in the game. Early access not necessary about pack something full of features, but to make what there is work, fix bugs, polish the game etc.

Players expecting everything from previous games should be in, together with popular mod content etc is on them though not TW.

Modding a game when its in early access kind of like start pimp a car when its on the assembly line. You set yourself up for a lot of extra work.

When patches are big and intrusive enough to break mods, but at the same time don't add a lot in terms of modding possibility and QoL changes for modders, it's no wonder that modders get burned out quickly.

The ideal state for modding is a stable base game that no longer has intrusive updates to the fundamental systems, and where patches are mostly bug fixes and content rather than mechanics and code changes. You can have the rare mod breaking update if it also comes with some big new interesting mechanic that modders can play with, so there's a reward for the effort of keeping up, but it shouldn't happen often.

This is the problem with these very long EA periods and unfinished releases, a lot of modders burn out on the game before it reaches a good state for modding. The ambitious TC teams that were planning to make that awesome big mod gets tired of waiting or their team drifts apart etc.

I'm so incredibly grateful for the RBM team and others who keep up the most essential mods for making the game worth playing, it's gotta be so frustrating but it's thanks to them that I don't regret buying BL.

That might be really hard to estimate. I'd say probably just enough are still being developed it isn't easily seen how many have left. I took a good look through it this morning and a lot of the top downloaded ones haven't been updated since either late 2021 or mid 2022.

...Not to compare with WB time, but there is a resonable amout of mods released and under development here:...

When patches are big and intrusive enough to break mods, but at the same time don't add a lot in terms of modding possibility and QoL changes for modders, it's no wonder that modders get burned out quickly.

The ideal state for modding is a stable base game that no longer has intrusive updates to the fundamental systems, and where patches are mostly bug fixes and content rather than mechanics and code changes. You can have the rare mod breaking update if it also comes with some big new interesting mechanic that modders can play with, so there's a reward for the effort of keeping up, but it shouldn't happen often.

This is the problem with these very long EA periods and unfinished releases, a lot of modders burn out on the game before it reaches a good state for modding. The ambitious TC teams that were planning to make that awesome big mod gets tired of waiting or their team drifts apart etc.
Yep, grateful for all the modders/potential out there, but if I was in their position, my mods would've been long abandoned (or not started at all) until a stable version of the game is out. That particular version where all the features are essentially completed with no 'new' thing will be incoming unless it's DLC-like package.
BL is far from that, they only just added alleys and counter-sieges into the game after full release. I can only imagine something like that popular Fourberie mod needing major tweaks to account for it (or players have to stick with an older version). Not to mention needing to re-dl something like Open Source Arm/RBM every so often (assumed quite popular ones) and whatever compatibility mods you favor; hoping they are still alive too.

There are up to 3780 mods published on Nexus, 600 were updated since 1. December of 2022. Lets assume all of these work (thats optimistic but lets be optimistic for once). This would mean that roughly 85% of all mods are dead.

Inappropriate behavior
Man **** right off. I don't mod because I want to please dip****s. I do it because I have the ability and ****s needed to make the game suit my arbitrary preferences. I do it for me.

Anyone that likes them are welcome to play. But if I lose interest, I don't a damn about updating anything. No modder is making this to please -snip- like OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom