So I suck at Combat

Users who are viewing this thread

white_fang

Recruit
So, I'm ashamed to admit, I've played 300+ Hrs of Warband, but always used auto aim and block. Now after eagerly anticipating the release of Bannerlord for years have finally got my hands on the game only to discover auto aim and block is no longer a thing and I suck at combat.

I could go sword and shield, but I prefer 2-handed weapons, and shields break.

I thought of spending hours in the tutorial but I really want to get into the game.

Anyone have any tips?

With two handed weapons, back up and swing at their head, I don't know if there are weapons that do extra damage to shields, but there you go, get those if you can and just back up eternally, in a big circle if you have to. If they have a two handed weapon, move into their swing arc, they can't do anything if you press right up against them and in 1hand swing range, so have a short quick weapon on switch to deal with two handers.

Best thing to do is fight on horse back with bows or have spear and shield on horse back. If you prefer to fight on ground level then stick with your men in formation breaking off from formation is always a bad idea. You could also if in a one on one combat situation try to use your parry effectively practice if u can also try to get around your opponent flank them and spam attacks when u can block when u see them about to swing at you my best advice I can give for now.

If you can't fight on ground level but can manage to hit 70% of your swings on horseback...In warband I stay on a horse until there is one dude left, then I get off my horse to gank him. I can't see anything that will change that here, also, it's pita fighting two handed troops on horse. Horse Archery though, not too bad, you can trot at a reasonable pace and plink them in the face, but that basically requires an archer, not my favourite character to play.

Basically TW's is saying get good without auto block im guessing :razz:. I will admit since it was an option I have used it as well but since this game does not I actually like not having it makes the game more challenging and the risk so much more immersive. Meaning have to be more careful now and stick with your men rather then being a one man army.

Honestly I'm just hoping that either Taleworlds adds this feature back in (that's been in every M&B game for 12 years) or somebody is able to mod it in. I don't like reflex-based combat games, I've always played M&B as more of an RPG/strategy type game and do enough combat early/mid game to get going and then let my army do the fighting.

What's insane to me is the amount of people who are hostile about it - like adding this optional feature to a single player game will somehow take away from their experience. Some of us are older, some of us have muscular/physical issues, and even if it's just a personal preference there's no reason to insult people who don't enjoy manual blocking.

I love M&B but honestly without autoblock (or a mod for it) I probably won't get the hundreds of hours out of this release that I have every other one. :sad:

I see no issue with it being in the game. I think most the hostility is the 2 year olds who are poking fun at the older gen. Honestly those who are having issues with this feature probably did not even know auto block was a thing in the older game and feel like adding it would dumb down the game.

Honestly, I have not played the game yet, and I don't plan to in the near future, because they devs have somehow lost the ability to allow key remapping. So I'm not sure what the problem is here. But I'm interested in hearing about flaws, so please do expound.

Okay some good advise here. I too liked the strategy/RPG elements. I guess if they don't add it, or someone doesn't mod it in I'll have to try learn a new skill

So, I'm ashamed to admit, I've played 300+ Hrs of Warband, but always used auto aim and block.
Anyone have any tips?

Personally i set my block to the movement keys & my attack to the mouse direction.
This allows me to move out of harms way or into an attack and still block.
As you also normally move into your opponent as you block, you reduce the dmg you take while blocking.

For practice:
1st: Make sure you can beat the tutorial trainers with ALL weapons in the tutorial.
2nd: Go to the Arena and keep fighting until you win.
(good way to get into any M&B game)

Okay some good advise here. I too liked the strategy/RPG elements. I guess if they don't add it, or someone doesn't mod it in I'll have to try learn a new skill
I really think it will be in the game soon but give the game a shot for now and who knows you might like it. If not as said before stick to horseback or even more stick with your men.You have soldiers for a reason they are your shield you are their Weapon!!! :grin:

Some people are hostile about adding autoblock, because they had to learn it the hard way and despise all the plebs who use autoblock.
They`ll probably bring it back because so many people have been clamoring for it.

So, I'm ashamed to admit, I've played 300+ Hrs of Warband, but always used auto aim and block. Now after eagerly anticipating the release of Bannerlord for years have finally got my hands on the game only to discover auto aim and block is no longer a thing and I suck at combat.

I could go sword and shield, but I prefer 2-handed weapons, and shields break.

I thought of spending hours in the tutorial but I really want to get into the game.

Anyone have any tips?
Learn combat from beggining, on start its hard and you will die a lot but you can use sword and shield and with time you will get some self-confidence and then jumping to 2h will be much easier. Approach it as long "live" tutorial and trust me, game will reward you in near future :smile:.

Personally i set my block to the movement keys & my attack to the mouse direction.
This allows me to move out of harms way or into an attack and still block.
As you also normally move into your opponent as you block, you reduce the dmg you take while blocking.

For practice:
1st: Make sure you can beat the tutorial trainers with ALL weapons in the tutorial.
2nd: Go to the Arena and keep fighting until you win.
(good way to get into any M&B game)

I've been beating tournaments pretty consistently but i still hate the manual blocking. Give us the option for auto block back please.

Dudes up there in comments leaves you a good feedback and advices.

My first 300h in WB was set very easy single with autoblock and i used moving keys for combat because i was so confused. Then i bought the game and started playin multiplayer and got wrecked. First 150h took me to understand wtf is happening. Then i started training training training. I didnt go back for single anymore. And ive been recruited for a clan also. Except matches we play events on few mods. I hope you see the corelation here. If you dont want to be tired and bored with single do not learn combat because you will always want more.

Uh and also, yes i had the cracked wb first place. But now honestly i wanted to wipe out my sins so i had 3 copies with nw dlc and 3x wfas. And also bought 2 copies of wb+nw for my friends who wanted to play along.

Manuel blocking is pretty frustrating to me.Especially with two handed weapons. Hope they implement auto blocking. Also how is it that some looters can hit me in the neck with his damn kitchen knife before I swing my @sS sword on horse back !? lol
Something is wrong with npc reach vs mine.

I'm having problem fighting on horse with my one handed mace. It feels like I swing true the body and don't get a hit so many times. Don't know if it's something wrong on the hitbox or if I just suck haha.

Manuel blocking is pretty frustrating to me.Especially with two handed weapons. Hope they implement auto blocking. Also how is it that some looters can hit me in the neck with his damn kitchen knife before I swing my @sS sword on horse back !? lol
Something is wrong with npc reach vs mine.

I'm with you on the kitchen knife, I used a pole arm on my horse and for some reason they still hit me first.

Back
Top Bottom