So... How is Taleworlds getting away with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

And nah Paradox releases DLC to fix their games. Totally different, not like paid mods or anything
They did some of that stuff with Cities Skylines, literally sold what were otherwise mods. But perhaps it was Colossal Order behind the deed and not Paradox. That said, I also like how they keep their games fresh with the free+paid dlc model.

They did some of that stuff with Cities Skylines, literally sold what were otherwise mods. But perhaps it was Colossal Order behind the deed and not Paradox. That said, I also like how they keep their games fresh with the free+paid dlc model.
It's definitely a unique idea to breathe life into games. Yet it's also very very unfriendly for new costumers. But we're getting off topic

The people who were arguing against you were professional coders, they said so, and you pretended they weren't. I don't know how you can manage to twist it like this.
You gotta dox yourself and upload scans of your certificates to be believed by a guy who nitpicked about technical terms, only to fail to cite his sources, pulled another source from the Internet, and still failed to conform to the definitions in said source.

It's almost like that's the problem... over a year my friend, over a year.
I missed this before but you said it was an example of players being invited in for serious design changes -- and it wasn't.
I like the way you put it here. I was trying to pin down why people praise Warband so much while it was actually really bad without mods, and it took years for those good mods to appear. Bannerlord hasn't got a proper chance to be improved with mods like Warband did because it's still in EA. People love the idea of what Bannerlord could have been, and are disappointed that it falls short on those expectations.
I think it WB legit being easier helps as well. A lot of Bannerlord is better balanced but that only makes it feel grindy because you can get stuck pushing back the tide endlessly unless you laid the groundwork earlier. Also WB hid the difficulty settings whereas they stare you in the face when you start a new campaign in BL. So people crank that difficulty to max, even if they aren't having fun doing it.

I missed this before but you said it was an example of players being invited in for serious design changes -- and it wasn't.
Ah, I see, sorry for the misunderstanding. Still though, I still heavily disagree. IMO the difficulty of code should not dictate the validity of a serious or not serious design choice. I'm going to use WB for this example because there isn't enough content from BL.

The character creation, the beginning of the game, has been modified in many mods to reflect the world (PoP, Perisno, etc). These changes, although from a coding standpoint are simply changing attribute and skill point variables, absolutely should be considered a serious design choice as these decisions affect the playthrough in its entirety. ie: PoP starts you off with greater stats in the decisions you chose while Perisno allows you to select a dwarf, etc.

I believe it is the same for leveling system, while the code implemented is not complex in change the math, the CHANGE in and of itself as a concept entirely affects your playthrough. i:e: you are no longer restricted to speed run for companions in the fear you accidentally level up scouting too much restricting your ability to level one-handed.

Editing troop trees is another example. Remember when the Sturgian Spearman was more useless than the warrior/soldier? Even though it was as simple as editing the XML, the change made playing Sturgia bearable, although I understand if this could be considered an oversight rather than a design decision. But I believe my point stands.

Inappropriate behavior (misinformation)
TW lost my loyalty years ago, 2016 to be precise. Now, obviously I was already mistrusting them before that, and I really don't think they've ever cared all that much about making BL compared to making money...
They've cut a lot of stuff mid-development without anyone ever seeing if those things worked for real, they've entered development hell multiple times and always failed on generating basic operational rules for themselves using pothead artists' excuse of "we can't limit our creativity by setting deadlines, man!". (<flame>, I mean, BL is a copy&paste of Warband with a few tweaks and copies of WB mods' features made differently, probably due to possible legal issues)

Obviously the release results would be a fiasco, which they were, but they did have a chance to correct it by releasing into EA and continuing development on the background. Apparently that also didn't happen (apparently, been away for a while now).

Suffice to say that I didn't really got conned with the EA, and paid willingly and knowingly, what I was signing up for. Now it's another waiting game, maybe this game will get somewhere by 2 years, maybe it won't, what is happening RN is that I have it uninstalled and am unwilling to download it, I'll keep waiting, watching forums once every 2-4 months and see if they resurrect my interest in it by actually making it into a game, not a skeleton. What I know, though, is that TW is never going to see my money again, that's the only certainty I've got, which also doesn't bother me for I believe them incapable of delivering anything better than Warband, which was already underwhelming, the strong point of Warband was innovation, but the execution is and will always be subpar. Warband did rely on community content for any quality and depth what-so-ever, if BL repeats the cycle it shouldn't surprise you, though it's there to show that they are not competent enough to pull anything better themselves. Which brings me back to a old point that I made many years ago, that if any half-decent developer group decides to tackle this genre, TW will implode and lose to them almost instantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk how often i saw this question inthe last months, but it was surely too often.
Man, can you remember the f***ing hype train a year ago?

"IT'S ALMOST HARVESTING SEASON!!!"

Maybe their marketing department totally didn't know that the game they were selling didn't exist and will never exist.

Upon release of EA they cashed in 4 million copies sold then claimed the game was nearly finished. They have zero obligations. Now we find out majority of their resources since then has been spent on paid DLC's. I smell a lawsuit. Mass refunds incoming.

majority of their resources since then has been spent on paid DLC's
Homie I'm one of the most blackpilled members of this forum and I have seen zero evidence to that effect. The development dysfunction has all the hallmarks of "management-by-crisis" incompetence rather than diversion of resources to DLC. If you were saying "console port" then that might be plausible, but evidence on even that has been scant.

Also no matter how busted this game is, I don't think a lawsuit is plausible. Mass refunds also unlikely. The fact is that corporations get away with this kind of stuff all the time and their only punishment is in the court of public opinion - which can be fairly punishing if they want to stay in business.

Link? Pics or it didn't happen.

Guys don't forget to write your negative reviews on steam, don't let other pay for a scam.
Not sure if this is the solution. The devs from what it seems (not just TW, but other studios like Paradox) have fragile, glass egos that will crack at a mere ounce of criticism, so more negative reviews will de-incentivize them from doing anything about their failures.

Man, can you remember the f***ing hype train a year ago?

"IT'S ALMOST HARVESTING SEASON!!!"

Maybe their marketing department totally didn't know that the game they were selling didn't exist and will never exist.
find that hard to believe,

I saw a post about them having Friends & Family testing etc. Surely they must have actually played the game (or a portion of SP?)..

Granted, MP at the time must have been 'fine' (***'fine'****) for them? Who knows.

But CERTAINLY - overhyped.

If I released that game, I would have NOT said &&&& has all the staples of M&B &&&&& - the game was clearly missing tons of things, and most of the game was completely unfinished and buggy.

Worst of all, I knew the game felt like a port within an hour or so of playing (by then, the novelty had worn off).

I still managed 500 hours in game, and used tons of mods. But I will never get over the hype disappointment, it basically ruined the series for me (broken AI etc, i can never forget unless they ACTUALLY make it good - but I dont think that will ever happen....)

Guys don't forget to write your negative reviews on steam, don't let other pay for a scam.
I used to be like "Nahhh don't review-bomb because that's lame groupthinky crap"... my alternative was along the lines of "I made my negative review long ago. If you don't currently have a review that reflects your real opinion, then go post one now. Also I wish people would stop reviewing games based on what they hope it to be in the future."

But I'm done with all that. F*** it. <snipped for brigading>

I don't even care if TW morally deserves it at this point. I lean towards incompetence over greed as an explanation, but either way they're not going to turn it around without a healthy smack. I doubt they would even then.
Not sure if this is the solution. The devs from what it seems (not just TW, but other studios like Paradox) have fragile, glass egos that will crack at a mere ounce of criticism, so more negative reviews will de-incentivize them from doing anything about their failures.
That's only if they can deflect criticism by characterizing it as part of a toxic politically-incorrect hate-mob. Don't know if TW can get away with that, since they haven't added any feminist features that weren't in WB and they haven't added any LGBT features either :xf-eek:
find that hard to believe,

I saw a post about them having Friends & Family testing etc. Surely they must have actually played the game (or a portion of SP?)..

Granted, MP at the time must have been 'fine' (***'fine'****) for them? Who knows.
Who knows? Maybe their marketing people didn't actually play the game? Er... maybe Armagan didn't?

Yeah... TBH the "they didn't know what they were doing" explanation holds less and less water with each passing day. It was obvious at EA launch that the game hadn't undergone any serious alpha-level Q/A playtesting. There were simply too many obvious issues that were impossible to ignore from any critically-minded playthrough and that fact remains true today.

Considering the broken state of leveling and perks and traits and siege AI and spears and blah blah blah blah... The fact is that all of the glaring holes in SP could and should have been patched within a couple months of launch. A competent developer could have patched them within days or weeks of launch.

Every minute that goes by without TW announcing "Literally all of our dev team is going to work on siege AI and armor and perks and leveling imbalances, which will all be fixed by the next patch" is a slap in the face of fans.

What sort of content do you all expect? The game isn't even finished. There are games that have been under development for more than 5 years. At least, they gave us mod tools to make our own content while we wait for the full product to be released.

What sort of content do you all expect? The game isn't even finished. There are games that have been under development for more than 5 years. At least, they gave us mod tools to make our own content while we wait for the full product to be released.
LOL you obviously haven't been following the recent conversation in the forums.

We've been waiting over a year and siege AI + armor still hasn't been fixed. The running joke is that all we've got is sheep textures and a barber and that's about it.

It's not that the game hasn't progressed enough. It's that it hasn't progressed and there's no evidence that it will progress much further. Devs have been actively telling us that many of the features most players want are not even in their minds. Glaring issues present from EA Release haven't even been discussed by devs.

I used to be like "Nahhh don't review-bomb because that's lame groupthinky crap"... my alternative was along the lines of "I made my negative review long ago. If you don't currently have a review that reflects your real opinion, then go post one now. Also I wish people would stop reviewing games based on what they hope it to be in the future."

But I'm done with all that. F*** it. Everyone who's honest should post negative reviews until the weight of them all makes a console port launch impossible - so there'll be a short-term financial incentive for TW to stop crapping the bed.

I don't even care if TW morally deserves it at this point. I lean towards incompetence over greed as an explanation, but either way they're not going to turn it around without a healthy smack. I doubt they would even then.

That's only if they can deflect criticism by characterizing it as part of a toxic politically-incorrect hate-mob. Don't know if TW can get away with that, since they haven't added any feminist features that weren't in WB and they haven't added any LGBT features either :xf-eek:

Who knows? Maybe their marketing people didn't actually play the game? Er... maybe Armagan didn't?

Yeah... TBH the "they didn't know what they were doing" explanation holds less and less water with each passing day. It was obvious at EA launch that the game hadn't undergone any serious alpha-level Q/A playtesting. There were simply too many obvious issues that were impossible to ignore from any critically-minded playthrough and that fact remains true today.

Considering the broken state of leveling and perks and traits and siege AI and spears and blah blah blah blah... The fact is that all of the glaring holes in SP could and should have been patched within a couple months of launch. A competent developer could have patched them within days or weeks of launch.

Every minute that goes by without TW announcing "Literally all of our dev team is going to work on siege AI and armor and perks and leveling imbalances, which will all be fixed by the next patch" is a slap in the face of fans.
Ya it was glaringly obvious.

First days of playing, you literally made millions and had unlimited influence - like, how was that properly balanced whatsoever?

totally poopsky

As with everything leading up to the EA launch, it was MP-only.

But I'm done with all that. F*** it. Everyone who's honest should post negative reviews until the weight of them all makes a console port launch impossible
Let's not lose another thread to brigading, shall we?

Back
Top Bottom