So how do we like the new leveling in 1.4.3? I'm not sure but it 'feels' better anyways. Gonna show some MCs

Users who are viewing this thread

I like that a few stray skill points doesn't bloat your level too much. However, the growing amount of skill exp each higher skill level requires means you still get leveled up (and thus slowed down) pretty darn fast. I'm still trying to figure out if this new system can net me a stronger MC.

Here's what I've got at 260ish day on 1.4.3 I a 'little' smithing because I haven't done it since April and it really blasted my level through the roof. I think I can still get my main skills of riding and bow to 275+ but it really comes down to if the skill exp TNL and skill exp to next skill level and worked out well enough to have equilibrium at a higher skill level. Or will it still start to drop off more and more as I close in on 275. Now I've just popped in some medicine points and started to grind it up and it really illustrates to problem with the -skill speed/level system. Even though I have plenty of FP (and even 2 spare attributes) that growth rate is very low compared to what it would have been if I did medicine at a low level, which would have been almost twice as fast.

Now for comparison here's my 1.4.2 char at a whopping 1260+ days in campaign, also at level 23. I've maxed out riding and bow and have gotten very high in several other good skills.

I don't know but I think the new leveling feels better and I think if I would have not done a little smithing I might have had an easier time maxing more skills.
Ultimately I would rather drop the learning speed reduction/level thing and (if we must) just have a level cap.
I would rather just be capped at 24 and know I could make full use out of all the FP and attributes I get in whatever skills I choose.

I think it feels quite a bit better. I agree there is still some weird unbalances with the slowing part of stuff.

I would advocate being able to lock skills from gaining further. This means you could keep using them without accidentally leveling quite a lot from them.

I think it's a step in the right direction, but if 24 or 25 is the level cap then they need to look at giving out attribute points every 3 levels as opposed to 4. Imo those attribute points are what are essential to leveling up secondary skills that you don't want to spend all your skill points in. Also I hate the way we're forced to spread out skill points instead of allocating them the way we want. I never liked it in Warband but at least you could level your character high enough that those few wasted points weren't impactful. In Bannerlord 2 or 3 points can really make a difference in how fast a skill levels up.

No level cap please. Warband had a massive wall on lv ~40 where it was almost impossible to advance further without cheating. If Bannerlord will have a cap it should be similar to that. Also by the time you reach it you should probably be able to max out 20/30 perk trees.

I think it's a step in the right direction, but if 24 or 25 is the level cap then they need to look at giving out attribute points every 3 levels as opposed to 4. Imo those attribute points are what are essential to leveling up secondary skills that you don't want to spend all your skill points in. Also I hate the way we're forced to spread out skill points instead of allocating them the way we want. I never liked it in Warband but at least you could level your character high enough that those few wasted points weren't impactful. In Bannerlord 2 or 3 points can really make a difference in how fast a skill levels up.

I agree that attribute points should be given out more generously, I'd even argue that they should be given out every 2 levels so that you can have 3 or 4 attributes maxed by the endgame.

Warband had a massive wall on lv ~40 where it was almost impossible to advance further without cheating.

That's true, but I never got up to level 40 before I conquered all of Calradia. The wall was simply something that I never reached, so it never held me back.

The learning limit thing in Bannerlords skills is a real annoyance. I just want to play the game and get credit for what I do. I don't care for being penalized from leveling up too much. Level up the wrong things early and you may be prohibited from leveling up something you need later.

The skill system sounds great in theory. In practice it isn't really all that much fun.

Yeah the learning speed reduction is still a big problem for me. Especially with the disproportionately low raising of some skills. I mad a fresh character again to try to build medicine more efficiently, but after the processes of taking 1 town (fighting about 2k worth of enemies in the process) my already reasonable riding and bow leveled me up from 8-13.... knocking down my learning for medicine even though it's only 70!

It's just so annoying to try to raise a passive and be punished for combat skills! I think one solution would be to separate them. Maybe even by attribute, so you don't undermine you Int skills learning by getting too good at riding your horse....

Really I don't want global learning rate reduction since the skills already have a massive increase independently, which should be enough and is fair.

every 3 levels instead of 4 and tweak the learning limits a bit right now. I can reach 23 quickly enough that it feels bad that it takes forever to level anything at that point.

I feel like the learning rate should never drop below 1.00 in the first place. Its so godamn abysmal trying to level something up to 25 for a single perk in the late game where the learing rate is like <0.50

This would also maybe help with leveling. As it is way too slow and difficult to level even to 30.The player should at least be able to reach lv 40 as I'm pretty sure that's what the faction rulers levels are.

This would also maybe help with leveling. As it is way too slow and difficult to level even to 30.The player should at least be able to reach lv 40 as I'm pretty sure that's what the faction rulers levels are.

The rulers' stats are cheats. They just plugged in whatever numbers.

No level cap please. Warband had a massive wall on lv ~40 where it was almost impossible to advance further without cheating. If Bannerlord will have a cap it should be similar to that. Also by the time you reach it you should probably be able to max out 20/30 perk trees.

There aren't even 20 perk trees in the game.

I agree that attribute points should be given out more generously, I'd even argue that they should be given out every 2 levels so that you can have 3 or 4 attributes maxed by the endgame.
In 1.4.2 I used the Bannerlord tweaks mod to give me 1 attribute point and 2 focus points per level up and it still wasn't enough to max everything.

As a sidenote the leveling system is still the same as before just that we now have a buggy "exp" bar... It's way too slow for so many skills and feels unrewarding overall.

"Character levels now depend on raw experience collected from skills rather than skill level increases. Overall this should make it easier to focus on a particular set of skills. "
At first I expected more from this sentence in changloge, and now I can safely tell you "make it easier to focus on a particular set of skills" means YOU ARE HARDER TO LEVEL UP with normal playstyle.
Yeah they didn't actually make some skills easier to upgrade, just you have lower level so you have more base exp bonus, we still need to risk our savegame and grindly improve our characters, to waste 100 or more real life hours to maxism a skill not fully implemented, and there is no even impact character function to store our characters.
Melee character is still dumb and hard to practice in newest version, like how slow running could be upgraded. Melee skills, or all combat related skills deserves much more ways to blost it up, I think before balance the level up system the devs should calculate how much real life player would invest for such single player game to max ONE combat skill, take it into considering that how old M&B players already had been.

We play game not just to waste time, game is time investment, the experience is important, but achievement and actual gainings are important too, that's why many game you can inheir you former character for a new circle. This game is even more grindy than warband, more likely to viking conquerest, feels more like a game released on 1996 instead of 2020, at least in warband or before 1.011 we could impact our characters to save time.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, I like it better, but I don't like that (if I'm understanding correctly) theoretically the more you put attribute and focus points into a fewer amount of skills, the higher level you can theoretically reach. For example full leveling 5 focus points in 1 skill is worth a lot more than 1 focus point in 5 skills. And I feel like that kinda limits the flexibility of your build a bit. But I'd also like to know if I'm understanding correctly I guess.

But I'd also like to know if I'm understanding correctly I guess.

I think it used to be the opposite(more skills means higher levels) and this change just made them the same.

I do feel that this change was a pre-requisite for tuning the xp penalty(as people were getting that penalty at different rates), but I hope that means they actually spend a bit on thought on what penalty would be appropriate. I'm inclined to agree with others that it is too aggressive at the moment.

Generally speaking, I like it better, but I don't like that (if I'm understanding correctly) theoretically the more you put attribute and focus points into a fewer amount of skills, the higher level you can theoretically reach. For example full leveling 5 focus points in 1 skill is worth a lot more than 1 focus point in 5 skills. And I feel like that kinda limits the flexibility of your build a bit. But I'd also like to know if I'm understanding correctly I guess.
It's a bazaar system to understand IMO. So you're right in the sense that the higher a skill level is, the higher amount of exp it cost and thus each FP worth of learning is worth more and more exp.... BUT level it'self does nothing good and only -% your learning rate for all skills, so really it's only about the amount of skill bonus and perks you end up with. So if there was tangible benefit to 5 fp in five skills it could be better and certainly more attainable then 5 fp worth in one "in imagination land" anyways, atm it's tuff to find many useful things in the skills/perks anyways as many branches don't even work.

For instance I still don't know what the charm skill actually does. 1000+ hours. I've asked around and got nothing. It gives + relation....... but how? When? I get the same +relation with 18 or 100.... wtf is it doing?

It's a bazaar system to understand IMO. So you're right in the sense that the higher a skill level is, the higher amount of exp it cost and thus each FP worth of learning is worth more and more exp.... BUT level it'self does nothing good and only -% your learning rate for all skills, so really it's only about the amount of skill bonus and perks you end up with. So if there was tangible benefit to 5 fp in five skills it could be better and certainly more attainable then 5 fp worth in one "in imagination land" anyways, atm it's tuff to find many useful things in the skills/perks anyways as many branches don't even work.

For instance I still don't know what the charm skill actually does. 1000+ hours. I've asked around and got nothing. It gives + relation....... but how? When? I get the same +relation with 18 or 100.... wtf is it doing?

Yeah I have no idea what the charm system does either.

Working as intended, kind of. It does what it's supposed to, increases gained relation by a percentage. The problem is that relation is stored as an integer which means it has to round the number. The way it rounds means it should average out to the correct relation over time even if individual gains seem incorrect.

At 100 charm you should get 50% more relation. It's +0.5% per level so at 18 you get +9%

Oh and btw Custom Character Development lets you customize learning rates, limits and xp per character/skill level, Skill Effect Formula lets you customize how the skill effects scale with levels

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom