Snowballing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Making stable world is not hard. We just close defections, decrease sieges, make garrisons huge and give ai extra money to feed his garrison then its easy to make game stable. However it is not entertaining and it is not player-like ai playing. In every game you should see map is dynamic and take you in different direction. Of course one faction controlling all map is not something we also want to see. However we do not want to see stable world also. Currently AI is acting just like you same rules are applied everywhere. It makes no cheat. They pay their troops just like you they collect recruit from villages just like you, they suffer from raids, their economy get damaged after raids. There are lots of actions happening. There is starving effect on garrison sizes caused by raided villages also. All these mechanics make controlling snowball effect harder. It is also because we are currently at Early Access and development continues. Day by day game will be better and balanced.

Currently it is 5:00 am and I completely worked on this to fix this problem today and here is latest situation (screen is taken from 1095) :

You can see results in next patch I hope if it passes tests.

Just want to say thank you. Keep up the great work. People are posting because they love the game and want to see it succeed. I so happy we have devs like you on this issue.

Cheers

A bit concerning that the devs want the map to be painted by 1100. What’s the point of having children if the game is over after 20 years?

Yeah I agree, this shouldn't be the aim of the game at all, it's generational, warband players would play their saves for hundreds of hours. I'm loving the game so far but the snowballing issue is the only problem for me, and I definitely don't want one faction to take over the map any time soon.

Yeah I agree, this shouldn't be the aim of the game at all, it's generational, warband players would play their saves for hundreds of hours. I'm loving the game so far but the snowballing issue is the only problem for me, and I definitely don't want one faction to take over the map any time soon.
I've posted in some other threads. I think 300 years for a faction to fully take over without player intervention would be a good goal.

I've posted in some other threads. I think 300 years for a faction to fully take over without player intervention would be a good goal.

1300 for sure, but 1100 your player is still alive, the whole family system is pointless if a faction is supposed to take over by 1100.

That's what concerns me about the entire direction and feel of this EA Bannerlord.

That's what concerns me about the entire direction and feel of this EA Bannerlord.

I agree, I'm not slating the game or the Devs, I've got value for my money here, I've really been enjoying this game, just my criticism of the direction. I think balance is very important, balancing the game for a 20 in-year gameplay wouldn't be a wise move, many of us M&B players sink hours and hours into the campaign and I'm very much looking forward to be playing as my heir once my current characters journey ends.

I looked at the map recently and the Khanate are taking over everyone, so I might just give this save a ditch and start again but it's pointless if in a few game years some other faction is going to do the exact same thing, I might just wait until it's all fixed. But please, don't make this the goal, not until much much later in the game.

Currently it is 5:00 am and I completely worked on this to fix this problem today and here is latest situation (screen is taken from 1095) :

I registered to thank you. It's great to see such commitment and transparency. I loved Warband and I know for sure if you keep working this hard Bannerlord will be ten times better in a year or two.

Great !
I'm glad to be the take-my-time kind. 45hours and still no snowball. Maybe I will be able to keep my first game running for a while ! :smile:
(if the gods of corruption are not angry with me, of course)

But I totally agree with what have been said above : please, don't stop at 20 years ^^
If balancing is impossible, then you can slow down war actions by implementing peace times between wars, or exhaustion, or rebellions...

We, players of Warband, know the future of Calradia. And it's definitely not a united future.

A huge thank for your commitment !

Making stable world is not hard. We just close defections, decrease sieges, make garrisons huge and give ai extra money to feed his garrison then its easy to make game stable. However it is not entertaining and it is not player-like ai playing. In every game you should see map is dynamic and take you in different direction. Of course one faction controlling all map is not something we also want to see. However we do not want to see stable world also. Currently AI is acting just like you same rules are applied everywhere. It makes no cheat. They pay their troops just like you they collect recruit from villages just like you, they suffer from raids, their economy get damaged after raids. There are lots of actions happening. There is starving effect on garrison sizes caused by raided villages also. All these mechanics make controlling snowball effect harder. It is also because we are currently at Early Access and development continues. Day by day game will be better and balanced.

Thank you so much for this update! I understand that it is certainly difficult to ensure that a map will be relatively stable for even 10 years with all of the factors you guys have thought to implement in the game, let alone on a generational scale. Hopefully this issue can be dealt with in an expedient manner so that my character's lineage will have the same chance to go to conquest against other factions, just as their forefathers did, without being up against a unified Calradia that the AI had created decades before.

1300 for sure, but 1100 your player is still alive, the whole family system is pointless if a faction is supposed to take over by 1100.

Depends on what the devs have in mind. If they want the average play through to end by the second generation (50 years before a complete map takeover) or make the dynasty/heir/clan system truly shine (3rd-4th generation average play through 100+ years, legendary tier 20 clans with unique clan/family gear passed through the generations and decade/century long clan rivalries).

Last edited:

Yeah, but the warband AI was literally retarded and failed utterly at warfare. A player with a size 70 party could completely paint the map helping a faction, and once you became king it was even easier.

This AI is relentless, and the thing with relentless AI is that it will inevitably lead to painting the map faster. You can't have it both ways - either challenging warfare for the player that will lead to map painting, or a boring campaign AI that gets nothing done, therefore getting steamrolled by a weak player.

This is incredible to see! Probably shouldn’t get my hopes up that it’ll be released over the weekend but one can hope.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this here, but I've seen it on several other forums. Once a faction becomes too large, why not have a chance for internal strife and civil war to separate the kingdom into two (or more) separate factions. This would solve most of the issues by itself, if it was implemented properly.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this here, but I've seen it on several other forums. Once a faction becomes too large, why not have a chance for internal strife and civil war to separate the kingdom into two (or more) separate factions. This would solve most of the issues by itself, if it was implemented properly.
I'm fairly certain this is a planned feature to come in the future, although because of its complicated nature, it will be a while before we can actually see it appear in-game. For now, I think they're just trying to paste on a band-aid that will actually stick while they work.

Yeah, but the warband AI was literally retarded and failed utterly at warfare. A player with a size 70 party could completely paint the map helping a faction, and once you became king it was even easier.

This AI is relentless, and the thing with relentless AI is that it will inevitably lead to painting the map faster. You can't have it both ways - either challenging warfare for the player that will lead to map painting, or a boring campaign AI that gets nothing done, therefore getting steamrolled by a weak player.

That's a good point, but a lot of strategy games have found this balance, and I'm sure taleworlds will be capable of doing it too. Perhaps a hidden war exhaustion variable that makes raids and expansion slow down so kingdoms don't want to take siege a castle every week.

Your hard work is very much appreciated!

Better to side on the more static wars mentality than to have peoples' generational play throughs wiped out. Thanks for the work DEVs, I am testing too! Not much to do here. :smile: One thing I rarely ever see is a faction take back their territory once the have lost it. Viking conquest's measures to stop empire spam worked very well if i recall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom