Snowballing ruined my first game: should I try again or wait for a balance patch?

Users who are viewing this thread

I spent between 10 - 15 hours on my first game. Loved it, despite the many issues. However, the game was cut short when factions began to snowball and rapidly destroyed everyone. I see this is quite a common problem, so I am hesitant to start a new game. I did not even have the chance to swear myself to a Lord or own a village. I don't want something I invest so much love into to end so quickly.

How often are games snowballing? Is it a 50:50 thing or is it only a matter of time?

Matter of time type of thing unless there is heavy player intervention. But babysitting these factions doesn't sound like fun either.

I've just been playing the custom battles and that's been awesome.

In 10-15 hours you have likely not done a whole lot the game has to offer. I suggest starting anew many times and create a trader/mercenary/lone-wolf/warlord. Maybe you find something that is totally new and intriguing for you. :smile:
Since you also can only load 45 times at the moment there are a few issues with SP that will make a long campaign turn stale (like the steamroll).

in-article-e23b32490c.jpg

I started 3 campaigns and got the same result everytime, some mods slow it down like lowering party cap but still the clan/lord fast defection is a big contributor to the Snowball. now am just doing custom battles a,d sieges, loads of fun.

It's supposed to be slowed down but we're getting patches basically every other day so by tomorrow who knows what the balance is like

It's supposed to be slowed down but we're getting patches basically every other day so by tomorrow who knows what the balance is like

I guess you haven't seen the patches... I've yet to come across a patch which actually touches a core mechanic and fixes or improves it. Up until now it has been minor bug and crash fixes, which I personally have not encountered in 50 hours playtime..

Which looks more as an attempt to save name and reputation and satisfy all the paid beta testers than anything else.

It's what the patch notes said. My game is more stable but I'm also on a custom PC so I'm not the norm. I can do some quests that were broken before. They tweaked a lot code already its obvious. You do realize coding isn't easy right one syntax error can break a game. The more code you add the more it can go wrong. Gamers these days forget when we didn't have updates and if a game was broken all you could do is get the 4 bucks from game stop cause the Walmart wouldn't refund you. If you don't like paying for a beta why buy a game in EA you know you signed up for an incomplete product. It's cheap by american standards. It has some good systems that work some of the time the policy system definitely has upsides. I haven't had the same steamroll I did day one still bad but it's a start it's not just one system causing the steam roll I'm sure of it.

Last edited:
I guess you haven't seen the patches... I've yet to come across a patch which actually touches a core mechanic and fixes or improves it. Up until now it has been minor bug and crash fixes, which I personally have not encountered in 50 hours playtime..

Which looks more as an attempt to save name and reputation and satisfy all the paid beta testers than anything else.
Just because YOU haven't experienced it it doesn't mean it didn't happen, I had tons of bugs and crashes on my first playtrough in 1.0, my seconc playtrough in 1.0.2 was fine, though, so you can see it helps, it's not a "save name", I 'm sure they are working their assess off, but in al fairness, I expected more after 8 years... But after waiting that long, I can wait a little more, just hope covid doesn't kill us all though

Back
Top Bottom