SP Modern Snow In the East - WW2 Eastern Front mod (v0.5 Demo Come out!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Looks pretty good so far, after about 4-5 hours of play. Obviously, a lot of the routine dialog needs updating to reflect the WII situation, rather than middle ages feudalism, and I've got 2 points in particular that I feel need to be addressed, plus a bug or two.

First, the country colors are way too dark, particularly one country's deep blue color, which is basically unreadable on most backgrounds. I had the same issue with a few other mods in the past that did the same thing, such as the "Sword of Damocles" mod for original M&B. Lighter blues, lighter greens, medium browns, grays, and oranges would be preferable on the mostly dark map (and still show up on snow), and I'd definitely prefer if the Soviets and Germans don't both use various shades of red (which they and at least one other country now share).

Second, there are no "starter" weapons available for a new party, and all companions begin with their initial skills in "short ranged" weapons (pistols) at 0, making them utterly useless with the weapons typically found in loot. With basic rifles starting at prices of 4000+, you end up with a party consisting of raw national recruits with rifles but companions armed only with melee weapons, at least for the first couple of months until you can afford to arm them. It could use a few relatively inexpensive single-shot "hunting rifles" using designs dating from the late 1800s, with only moderate damage but single shot with semi-long load times. That makes them "useable", but not "good". I also note that accuracy is 100 for ALL rifles, and sub-machineguns are all in the high 80s, rather than having non-sniper rifles a shade lower (90-95) than sniper rifles (100), and various sub-machineguns and machine pistols falling into different tradeoffs between lower accuracy and faster reload speeds and/or larger magazines. If a SMG has the same accuracy as a rifle, and if the damage is even remotely comparable, why would I ever want to use a rifle with a small magazine size? This needs some work for balance, such as (just a rough guess at the numbers):
Sniper rifles - 100 accuracy
Rifles (non-sniper) - 95
Bolt-action rifles - 90
Assault rifles - 85
SMGs -80
Pistols/Machine pistols - 75

A few additional points to address in the future:

The costs of hats and the costs of helmets are identical in this mod, so there's no point in buying a hat if a helmet is available. If you're power-gaming the mod, you'll end up in medieval armor with WWII vintage weapons, which looks absurd. There's also no basic clothing, so scavenging "armor" from bandits and looters is your only source of "uniforms" until you're rolling in cash, and the rags and smelly fur offer much better protection than the uniforms anyway. Again, this needs something to balance it, because it doesn't make sense in the context of the game. Basic uniforms should be cheap, most forms of armor should be expensive, and looters should be wearing old clothing from the early 20th century or slightly before, not medieval armor.

Also, some of the small factions have only one town (which is understandable for comparative size with the majors), but only one village attached to that town. In my game, my chosen faction's only village was looted a couple of days into the game, before I was able to reach it, so I was unable to recruit any soldiers of my faction until after the effects of looting had worn off. Frustrating, to say the least.

Hopefully, this outsider's opinion will be helpful, rather than sounding like I'm mad at the mod team and ungrateful for the amount of work that's obviously been put into this project so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the next update, because I definitely like what's already been done, it's just that it's not "there" yet.

Last edited:
A few bugs: one of the Mosin Nagant rifle variants on sale in the shops requires an invalid ammo type, so you can't use it. There's nothing to indicate which of the odd magazines and drums work with which weapon, and you can't use certain ammo clips with some weapons which use the same caliber ammo. For instance, you have things like the 7.92mm standard ammo package, the 7.92mm drum, the "Lesser" 7.92mm type, and the "Import" 7.92mm type, in some cases with no indication of which type is used by which weapon. At least the one weapon does indicate that it needs the "Import" type, but it's far from obvious for a new player.

As for my previous mention of faction colors, trying to distinguish a USSR village from a Polish one by color is impossible; they're both bright red. At least you can use the faction flags to distinguish the military units on the map: red versus red/white. The German town and unit names are a much darker red, and you can't read the dark letters on the dark terrain background. It would seem to me that the Soviets and Germans should use drastically different colors for quick player recognition of friend/foe. I'd suggest some light-to-medium shade of blue-gray for the Germans, dark enough to read against a snow background, but light enough to read on top of grassland terrain or hills.

Looks pretty good so far, after about 4-5 hours of play. Obviously, a lot of the routine dialog needs updating to reflect the WII situation, rather than middle ages feudalism, and I've got 2 points in particular that I feel need to be addressed, plus a bug or two.

First, the country colors are way too dark, particularly one country's deep blue color, which is basically unreadable on most backgrounds. I had the same issue with a few other mods in the past that did the same thing, such as the "Sword of Damocles" mod for original M&B. Lighter blues, lighter greens, medium browns, grays, and oranges would be preferable on the mostly dark map (and still show up on snow), and I'd definitely prefer if the Soviets and Germans don't both use various shades of red (which they and at least one other country now share).

Second, there are no "starter" weapons available for a new party, and all companions begin with their initial skills in "short ranged" weapons (pistols) at 0, making them utterly useless with the weapons typically found in loot. With basic rifles starting at prices of 4000+, you end up with a party consisting of raw national recruits with rifles but companions armed only with melee weapons, at least for the first couple of months until you can afford to arm them. It could use a few relatively inexpensive single-shot "hunting rifles" using designs dating from the late 1800s, with only moderate damage but single shot with semi-long load times. That makes them "useable", but not "good". I also note that accuracy is 100 for ALL rifles, and sub-machineguns are all in the high 80s, rather than having non-sniper rifles a shade lower (90-95) than sniper rifles (100), and various sub-machineguns and machine pistols falling into different tradeoffs between lower accuracy and faster reload speeds and/or larger magazines. If a SMG has the same accuracy as a rifle, and if the damage is even remotely comparable, why would I ever want to use a rifle with a small magazine size? This needs some work for balance, such as (just a rough guess at the numbers):
Sniper rifles - 100 accuracy
Rifles (non-sniper) - 95
Bolt-action rifles - 90
Assault rifles - 85
SMGs -80
Pistols/Machine pistols - 75

A few additional points to address in the future:

The costs of hats and the costs of helmets are identical in this mod, so there's no point in buying a hat if a helmet is available. If you're power-gaming the mod, you'll end up in medieval armor with WWII vintage weapons, which looks absurd. There's also no basic clothing, so scavenging "armor" from bandits and looters is your only source of "uniforms" until you're rolling in cash, and the rags and smelly fur offer much better protection than the uniforms anyway. Again, this needs something to balance it, because it doesn't make sense in the context of the game. Basic uniforms should be cheap, most forms of armor should be expensive, and looters should be wearing old clothing from the early 20th century or slightly before, not medieval armor.

Also, some of the small factions have only one town (which is understandable for comparative size with the majors), but only one village attached to that town. In my game, my chosen faction's only village was looted a couple of days into the game, before I was able to reach it, so I was unable to recruit any soldiers of my faction until after the effects of looting had worn off. Frustrating, to say the least.

Hopefully, this outsider's opinion will be helpful, rather than sounding like I'm mad at the mod team and ungrateful for the amount of work that's obviously been put into this project so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the next update, because I definitely like what's already been done, it's just that it's not "there" yet.

A few bugs: one of the Mosin Nagant rifle variants on sale in the shops requires an invalid ammo type, so you can't use it. There's nothing to indicate which of the odd magazines and drums work with which weapon, and you can't use certain ammo clips with some weapons which use the same caliber ammo. For instance, you have things like the 7.92mm standard ammo package, the 7.92mm drum, the "Lesser" 7.92mm type, and the "Import" 7.92mm type, in some cases with no indication of which type is used by which weapon. At least the one weapon does indicate that it needs the "Import" type, but it's far from obvious for a new player.

As for my previous mention of faction colors, trying to distinguish a USSR village from a Polish one by color is impossible; they're both bright red. At least you can use the faction flags to distinguish the military units on the map: red versus red/white. The German town and unit names are a much darker red, and you can't read the dark letters on the dark terrain background. It would seem to me that the Soviets and Germans should use drastically different colors for quick player recognition of friend/foe. I'd suggest some light-to-medium shade of blue-gray for the Germans, dark enough to read against a snow background, but light enough to read on top of grassland terrain or hills.

Will be fixed

I do believe that's actually a compliment. :razz:
"Sick" can be taken either as an insult or a compliment, but without any context, you can't tell which the poster meant. That's one of the joys of modern communications by people of diverse backgrounds, they are increasingly prone to misinterpretation. When I saw the post, I had to wonder what he (or "she", or even possibly "it" in this crazy modern world) meant by it.

Can i make the Turkish language lol.
And in my opinion germany needs this flag i think:
images

Last edited:
And uhh, would you like to add ruined yougoslavia or Greece?
+(plus)
Would you like to add theese legions: (example)
1200px-Turkistan_Legion_patch.svg.png
Azerbaijani_Legion_emblem.svg
images

+(plus)
Any soviet states?

Last edited:
Classic M&B ,1.150,1.172 and 1.170(BLA BLA) port when.
Uhhh and im focussing on translitation.
:grin:

Classic M&B ,1.150,1.172 and 1.170(BLA BLA) port when.
I don't think this mod can run in the amount of memory that's available to original M&B. No matter how much RAM your system has, M&B could only access the bottom 2Gb. There are "LAA aware" utilities which can patch a .exe file (like M&B) to utilize 3 or 4Gb.

I don't think this mod can run in the amount of memory that's available to original M&B. No matter how much RAM your system has, M&B could only access the bottom 2Gb. There are "LAA aware" utilities which can patch a .exe file (like M&B) to utilize 3 or 4Gb.
ok

About 100 days into a campaign now. No towns or castles have changed hands, but practically every village has been looted repeatedly. My own faction's marshal has called up the lords twice, and then patrolled around the town for several days before disbanding. Basically, there's nothing happening other than occasional individuals wandering out to raid. It looks great, but it's not ready for public release.

Merhaba dostum.Bu mod gerçekten de çok fazla hoşuma gitti.Birkaç sorum var.İlk olarak yüzlerin yapımlarına başlandı mı?Ve ikincisi dürbünü olmayan tüfeklerin dürbün olanını yapabilir misin?Örneğin M1 Garand.M1 Garand'ın fiyatı (moddaki fiyatını tam olarak bilmiyorum ve örnek veriyorum) 2000$ ise dürbün takılmış olanının fiyatı 2250$ veya 2500$ olabilir mi?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom