Sneaking and stealth quests

Users who are viewing this thread

fudachet

Recruit
How it works

-You need to unequip the heavy armor and wear light gear to move faster and make less noise

-you can crouch and hide behind items and in bushes as camoflauge to hide from bandits or guards

-use silenced crossbows or bows to take out guards, you can hide the body.

-you can sneak around and use it to steal from bandit hideouts or rob castles and assassinate lords

Here's one.  It also has a telescopic sight for long distance kills.
ewNTg.jpg

You can grease the bolt and oil or use under powered strings to make it produce less noise thats how a silenced crossbow can work

In breaking news, Duke Foodache, the foremost noble of the realm, was caught during the night pickpocketing town guards while wholly covered in grease.

fudachet said:
You can grease the bolt and oil or use under powered strings to make it produce less noise thats how a silenced crossbow can work
What makes the noise isn't the bolt, and what produces power isn't the string. A string that's too weak for the limbs of a crossbow would just snap during the strain of loading it. The parts of a crossbow that make noise are the trigger mechanism and vibration of the string immediately after firing. Brutus' picture does actually show a form of (cross)bow silencer.

BwlYtmf.png

These rubber stops are meant to contact the string after it has reached its resting state once a bolt has been fired, so when the string vibrates it does so in complete contact with the stops and dissipates some of its kinetic energy into them instead of the air. Another type of bowstring silencer is a fuzzy, furry, or tassel-y wrap on the string itself, which functions similarly by dissipating some kinetic energy through loose strands rather than a taut cord. Imagine a rubber band: if you stretch it between your fingers and pluck it, then it makes a sustained sound. If you dangle it from one finger, stretch, and release it, then it makes sound for much less time.

boog-1.jpg
lF8BPrd.jpg

Stealth quest ideas:

-Plant incriminating documents in a castle

-steal from a chest quietly

-prison breakout

-light village crops on fire and escape with a horse

-kidnap an important person and ransom him

-sneak in a castle and sabatoge the pillars to make it easier to break during siege

-poison food and watter to kill some troops

-deliver a message to an impriosned person in enemy territory

-scout a village or castles

More quest ideas:
- Tip the cows in your rival's village. Apply grease so they would be too slippery to recover.
- Set fire to a village elder's house. Use stealth and grease when he asks you what's wrong with you.
- Steal the King's crown then pretend you found it in your rival's breeches.
- Smear poison on your castle's doorknob so people would stop licking it.
- Kill everyone in a castle stealthily and rearrange their bodies to look as if it was a dart-throwing accident.

I don't think this is practical under most circumstances. I've seen one too many bad stealth segments for me to think this is worthwhile to code in if it hasn't already.

Two scenarios I think might still work though, assuming it is already prepared.

- Rescuing lords from the castle in a similar manner to Warband.
- Take a select group of companions and soldiers in a bid to scale the wall of a hostile castle, open the main gate, and hold it long enough for a sub-commander to charge your forces into the support you.

Other than this, most stealthy things I can think of would be better off as delegations.

Potential stealth quest:

You are besieging a town/castle. The defenders chase out their sick, crippled and beggars to preserve their food supplies. Do you let them through your siege lines or force them to starve in no man’s land as Caesar did at Alesia? Either way, one of them carries a message from a notable merchant whose business is being ruined by the siege. He offers a meeting at a sally port to agree terms to betray the defences. Do you go with a bodyguard (more would rouse the defenders) or consider it too risky?

You need stealth to approach the sally port without rousing guards on the wall, then:

10% chance that it’s a trick and the defenders burst out to capture you, intending to force you to end the siege as a ransom. You can fight with a slim chance of escape and a further chance of perma-death.
40% chance the merchant was careless/followed and your meeting is interrupted by a few guards against whom you have a reasonable chance of fighting clear.
50% chance the merchant makes the offer but asks a high barter price to betray the town/castle by opening and holding a gate or sally port long enough for your troops to force entry when the bulk of the defenders are asleep. If you refuse his price, there us a 50% chance that he and his men will attempt to capture you to cut their losses - trading you to the defenders and claiming it had always been a trick.

In the latter case, you again need stealth to leave the sally port without alerting the guards, which would also betray your traitor and put paid to your deal.

I don't want MB turn in to Assasin's Creed. I want MB to stay somewhat historically realistic. Engaging "crouch" key in front of the guard does not and should not make you less visible. It should make you more suspicious imediately.

Let's not turn MB in to ridiculous pseudo fantasy. Trickery, betrayal, plots, conspiracies ...yes. "Sneaking stealth quests" ...please no.

hruza said:
I don't want MB turn in to Assasin's Creed. I want MB to stay somewhat historically realistic. Engaging "crouch" key in front of the guard does not and should not make you less visible. It should make you more suspicious imediately.

Let's not turn MB in to ridiculous pseudo fantasy. Trickery, betrayal, plots, conspiracies ...yes. "Sneaking stealth quests" ...please no.

Such quests were always optional in Warband. I doubt Bannerlord will make them compulsory.

NPC99 said:
There are stealth quests in Warband even if they are extremely primitive - infiltrate a town in disguise and free a prisoner.
Yes, infiltrate in disguise, not infiltrate in stealth. You're not sneaking around the town, you just trick guards with the disguise.

Well, sneaking is highly suspicious and may give away your disguise.
hruza said:
Engaging "crouch" key in front of the guard does not and should not make you less visible. It should make you more suspicious imediately.

Back
Top Bottom