SP - General Smithing suggestions 1.71

Users who are viewing this thread

Csatádi

Grandmaster Knight
Is it a big problem if I don't divide these into 7 separate threads? I feel it would be spamming.

Smithing: I need to check the 'Show only unlocked pieces' every single time I make a new project. It's not user friendly and should work in reversed mode, starting as checked. Or save my setting permanently.

It's cool to have a smithing memory for the last 10 items. However, saving recipes would be far better. At least 6 save slots are required with the ability to name them but 10 would be the ideal. The names could appear in hovering texts so they don't take up space, or as a single text box.
What recipes would I save?
-My weapon on horseback
-My weapon on foot/siege
-One for developing smithing
-One for followers
-Two different types for selling
-Four weapons for orders worth 70-80k. They usually want the same stats so I use a text file to save the most important ones: 2h sword, 2h axe, polearm and a mace.

It would be useful if we could copy a weapon recipe from a weapon from the inventory menu. For example when I forget to save it in a text file and even vanilla ones. Yes, I need to use a text file to save recipes, but what about those who don't know we can copy-paste recipe codes? This should work on vanilla items as well.

When smelting weapons, the game should unlock parts from the weapons we just destroyed. It should give random pieces only after we unlocked all of them. This would be good for two reasons:
-We would have some control about the pieces we get. Typically I have level 200 smithing but no 2h hammer pieces are unlocked even though 30% of the customers order 2h hammers.
-Culture. We would be able to get the related pieces to a certain culture more quickly. Buying and smelting these weapons would be costly, so it wouldn't be an exploit.
Another solution would be to prioritize the culture of the smith (or our hero) when we unlock parts, but the previous one makes more sense.

There should be cultural filters in the smithing menu to improve immersion. Universal parts should appear with any filters.

There should be a filter to 'Show 1h/2h handles only' / 'Show 2h handles only' when both types are available. Or at least an icon on the grips like in case of civilian weapons.

Crafting legendary weapons would be more enjoyable if it doesn't depend on chance but a time limit. For example we could craft one every 7 days. There could be some flashy graphical sign, like 7 burning torches in the forge when the possibility is available and a checkbox when we actually want to make one. Collecting a bunch of materials and crafting the same weapon one after the other in the hope of success is not very satisfying, it's just annoying grind. But choosing the materials and parts, clicking the checkbox, and finally the crafting button knowing we finally get the weapon we always wanted would be fulfilling for sure. You may add a little sound effect, too.
Skill levels after 275 could give extra weapon stat points, or could reduce the cooldown to 1 day.

Give us a reason to use high tier, cool looking hilt components. They require more costly materials, but doesn't provide anything.
The solution would be if the high tier handles and other parts give a small bonus to the items. This doesn't need to be much. +0.25 point/level to speed and damage would be enough. Hilts might add to the handling as well. So in case of swords, tier 5 parts would add 3*4*0.25=3 points.
This whole thing is about the immersion, so it's quite important.

It would be important in case of swords and daggers, but not so much in case of axe or maul handles. Some metallic mace handles could have this advantage as well.

This is how you imagine a 105k sword

BL-smithing-imagination.jpg

And this is what the customer gets. You might say this won't even appear in the game. It still does matter.

BL-smithing-what-he-gets.jpg

The unlocking process should be quicker. No surprize that many use the cheat code to unlock all components in their campaign.
I think it should be about 25-50% quicker, but it can be achieved in different ways.

The boring method is raising the percent.

The interesting method is to give all smelted parts in addition to the standard unlocking process. This is better in two ways:
-Accelerated unlocking at the start, so we could actually use the order system to level smithing, because we would have more parts, hopefully even those very-very specific blades they require, and types, like the 2h maces.
-We would be encouraged to buy and smelt weapons. This is similar how the real learning process work. We examine things so we can copy the thing.

Smithing: I need to check the 'Show only unlocked pieces' every single time I make a new project. It's not user friendly and should work in reversed mode, starting as checked. Or save my setting permanently.
We'll take a look, should be easy to implement. We're already doing this for other screens like inventory sorting etc.

It's cool to have a smithing memory for the last 10 items. However, saving recipes would be far better.
I'll bring this up internally.
It would be useful if we could copy a weapon recipe from a weapon from the inventory menu. For example when I forget to save it in a text file and even vanilla ones. Yes, I need to use a text file to save recipes, but what about those who don't know we can copy-paste recipe codes? This should work on vanilla items as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if it's already in your inventory, that means you already crafted it. And that means the system remembers it if you haven't crafted 10 more weapons after that.

There should be cultural filters in the smithing menu to improve immersion. Universal parts should appear with any filters.
Would be better suited for a mod imo. Doesn't relate to our ingame mechanics.
There should be a filter to 'Show 1h/2h handles only' / 'Show 2h handles only' when both types are available. Or at least an icon on the grips like in case of civilian weapons.
We can look into the icons. But filter(Show 2h handles only) is essentially the template.

The rest are related to game design decisions and I should leave that to the design team.

Hi MRay,
Thanks for the answers.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if it's already in your inventory, that means you already crafted it. And that means the system remembers it if you haven't crafted 10 more weapons after that.
Yeah, but that's only an afterthought. I made that item days ago in that specific case when I got the idea.
The main use would be: the stats of this weapon are cool, let's make a legendary version of it.

Would be better suited for a mod imo. Doesn't relate to our ingame mechanics.
It's not a suggestion for better mechanics but for immersion.
Related topic: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...degree-do-you-roleplay-your-character.449931/

We can look into the icons. But filter(Show 2h handles only) is essentially the template.
Yeah, but the template contains both the 2h and the 1h/2h handles. If I want to make a bastard sword I need to click all of them because there is no way to filter only the 1h/2h handles.

The main use would be: the stats of this weapon are cool, let's make a legendary version of it.
I'll bring it up internally. A copy design button on inspect maybe, smth like that.

It's not a suggestion for better mechanics but for immersion.
I still think mods are a better avenue for this.

Yeah, but the template contains both the 2h and the 1h/2h handles. If I want to make a bastard sword I need to click all of them because there is no way to filter only the 1h/2h handles.
Icon should help with that, a filter feels like unnecessary clutter to me for minimal return.

Back
Top Bottom