Smithing Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

I've been wondering that also. My guess is that the UI doesn't always show the stats correctly. This is based on making several weapons that show the exact same stats on the weapon info panel, yet the prices can be slightly different. But again, only a guess.

This is something that has been really frustrating to me, as well. I *think* what's happening is that the client also requires a certain money value to be met as well, but that value is not shown in the UI, so you just have to guess at it. The higher the quality of the parts, the higher the money value, so when that happens I think it's when you use lower quality parts but still achieve the required stats, so it just doesn't show you that it isn't actually the money value they are demanding. That's just my observation so far, could be wrong. Whatever it is, they need to fix it. It isn't fun being told you are doing well and then failing anyway...

I don't think it's the money value, as I've made a weapon using all tier 4 and 5 parts that met all requirements but still resulted in a penalty. You can also come in below spec on some stats (handling, for one) and still receive the full reward in some cases.

That said, it's been called a bug by a developer and they're investigating it.

I've found that there's also a minimum difficulty the client requires. Making a weapon above that threshold prevents the penalty for me so far.

Smithing is completely broken. It breaks the economy with the cost of items you can sell. You have to rest inside a settlement by passing time to recover stamina (there's no other way to do it). Then this "order" system that no one ever asked for. It's a mini-game that's completely left field and barely makes sense in the world of M&B 2. How are you getting the orders? On your smart phone? Is the customer texting you their response? Also why are you working as a blacksmith?

Viking Conquest did a good job of having you find a legendary blacksmith and pay him with currency and materials to make you weapons and armor. I liked that system.

Smithing is completely broken. It breaks the economy with the cost of items you can sell. You have to rest inside a settlement by passing time to recover stamina (there's no other way to do it). Then this "order" system that no one ever asked for. It's a mini-game that's completely left field and barely makes sense in the world of M&B 2. How are you getting the orders? On your smart phone? Is the customer texting you their response? Also why are you working as a blacksmith?

Viking Conquest did a good job of having you find a legendary blacksmith and pay him with currency and materials to make you weapons and armor. I liked that system.
It is a bit broken currently, but I think it is a nice feature that does have a place in the game (or can, given some fixing). To be honest, the only reasonable long-term play style right now, I feel, is the classic vassalage style. Join a kingdom or create your own, play the lord game.

You *can* be a criminal, but there doesn't seem to be much point in it; you make more money and have an easier time if you just play as a legitimate lord (which is kind of counter-intuitive, since a life of crime is generally taken up due to its accessibility and ease of entry, as opposed to being nobility which is... pretty exclusive).

You *can* play as a merchant, but you can also largely do that as a lord, which again, has other benefits.

You *can* be a smith, which partly falls into the merchant line and has the same caveats.

I have no problem with having support for multiple playstyles. Really, the game needs that for replayability (though you'd hardly guess that based on my 600 hours in the game so far and dozens of campaigns...). The problem is that mostly it just supports one or two right now, with others being pretty shallow and pointless. Speaking of smithing, to get back on topic, I think the orders system is nice, just needs some more work. Obviously they need to fix the main problem of unpredictable outcomes, but they should also add more in-world interaction for it (as with many aspects of the game, really).

Actually, I was going to go into more detail, but maybe I'll just make a separate post in suggestions or something. Suffice it to say for now that orders do make sense as a concept and do add something to the game, I think. They just need to be expanded a bit.

I've been having that a lot too when everything has been exactly right except for the weight. It's not consistent though as it seems to be 50/50 if they are very satisfied or decide to pay you only 10% of what they were originally offering.

Back
Top Bottom