Smithing needs to be overhauled

Should smithing be overhauled

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I design board games, and I first start with a design document that lays out the idea, the game play, and how the various things the player can do will mesh together.

I don't get any sense this is part of TW's process. Smithing, for all the reasons above, is a mini game you can play or ignore. But it distorts the economy because of radically stupid pricing (a set of Jareeds, for 161k??) Nobody apparently directed an economy design that integrates the activities - which is why Iron Ore so often is more valuable than Iron - which is patently ridiculous. Please tell me the developer staff is big enough to THINK about how things ought to work. What it appears is that each department head, from Culture to Caravans to Smiths, made up their parts with no reference to the others.

I was about to make a new thread for my desired list of improvements but I believe this is thread is populated enough that a larger number of users will get to see it.
I know the devs plan on having armor crafting added to smithing in the near future but I'll leave suggestions for that for another time, but here's a few things the playerbase stand to benefit from:

1.Blueprints:
Whenever you craft new weapons it creates a blueprint to craft it again without creating a new ID on the weapon list. I'm aware on release day there was a now removed feature wherein crafting the same weapon multiple times caused it to stack and have the stack hold the stats of the first instance of that weapon crafted. In the absense of this old feature we get item creep which is a nuisance for weapon farmers like me that keep seeing completely identical "crafted two handed sword"s that I made 7 in game days half the times I go to city tournaments, only for the weapon to have abysmal stats comparable to the average looted weapon.
The blueprint system is primarily there so you the player can craft weapons that already possess an ingame ID, be it vanilla weapons or crafted weapons you made a time passed. If there are no instances of a particular crafted weapon in the world, you should have the option to delete the blueprint & ID as a means do lessen creep.

Another feature of how blueprints could work is that you can toggle on and off the ability for your smithing perks to take effect, wherein if they do it creates a new ID for the weapon if the bonuses apply or if your smithing skill is too low to avoid the mandatory stat penalty. Yet another feature is wether if you want a particular weapon to become part of a culture as a means of preventing it to show up as the prize in particular tournaments.

2- Extra part philters:
You should be able to filter weapon parts that you're already able to craft. Likewise for the abovementioned blueprints.

3- Learned parts Tooltip
Whenever you learn enough parts they should get a yellow glare symbolizing that you recently learned it.
Weapon classes you wherein you are lack enough parts to craft a weapon of that type should be grayed out on the weapon tab. Whenever you aquire just enough parts to craft a weapon of that type that weapon type on the tab should recieve the same above mentioned yellow glare.

Something I like to do is, as a means of compacting smithing materials is to make the same 9 fine steel cost sword several times and carry them from place to place, which is often distinctly more lightweight than carrying the materials themselves.
Another complaint is that I've found out that somehow if I purchase from local vendors, I can see two identical weapons in terms of name, appearance and stats but one is miraculously more expensive than the other. It's unacceptable.

They are so afraid of making large changes because game breaks completely even after a tiniest implementation. Kingdom balance, AI armies, economy, unit stats, perks got broken multiple times, still are not stable and I lost my hopes for any "overhauls" on anything. I'd be glad to be wronged though.

Iron was nerfed in price (and other metals) as it was ridiculously profitable to buy cheap weapons, smelt them, and then sell what came out. I don't think there was much thought put into it, just to quash a large exploit, and they'll come back to it later sort of thing.

I imagine that selling javelins for 100k is another of those, but right now, as there's not many ways to make a solid profit, there need to be some ways to establish an income just to play the game. Once workshops/caravans etc are settled, I suspect we'll see an impact on smithing profits.

For me it's because really easy, it's a bit tedious now and then but the sillyness of it is i can craft a tier 4 javelin head with t 2 handle and it sells for 70-80k and gives 3-5 points per crafting and unlocks several parts, so yes.. it def needs to be overhauled xD

Back
Top Bottom