Smithing and selling javelins

Users who are viewing this thread

Some players are telling smithing ruins the game because it gives a lot money. And I heard that javelins selling prices will be reduced in the next update [1.5.9] I guess. But I don't think smithing ruins the game at all. I have 200 imperial elite cataphracts, 400 legionaries and 300 palatine guards as garrisons in 1 town and 2 castles and those troops' wages cost me 12k per day. In bannerlord, we couldn't go war without preparations. That's why I save the troops like that and use them for war if necessary. So, smithing is the only way to solve that costing problem effectively. And we could give good armours and weapons for our companions. Current javelins price I selling is over 120 k. 1 javelin can keep my best troops for 12 days instead of losing from me cause of not getting their salaries. For the people who don't like smithing could play the game without smithing I think. You could even add extra focus points on any other skills you want. And also workshop profits should increase up to 800 or 1000.

I love smithing but has many issues that need fixed:

1)price rebalance of ALL equipment. It is way too high in every regard from armor to weapons.

2) I need to smith hundreds of items in order to unlock crafting design recipes. It needs redone.

3) Smithing still needs to be profitable for the person spending g their levels and learning capacity on that trade.

Currently only #3 is working, albeit too high atm.

Some players are telling smithing ruins the game because it gives a lot money. And I heard that javelins selling prices will be reduced in the next update [1.5.9] I guess. But I don't think smithing ruins the game at all. I have 200 imperial elite cataphracts, 400 legionaries and 300 palatine guards as garrisons in 1 town and 2 castles and those troops' wages cost me 12k per day. In bannerlord, we couldn't go war without preparations. That's why I save the troops like that and use them for war if necessary. So, smithing is the only way to solve that costing problem effectively. And we could give good armours and weapons for our companions. Current javelins price I selling is over 120 k. 1 javelin can keep my best troops for 12 days instead of losing from me cause of not getting their salaries. For the people who don't like smithing could play the game without smithing I think. You could even add extra focus points on any other skills you want. And also workshop profits should increase up to 800 or 1000.
Here is the thing. You shouldn't have a garrison of 200 Elite Cataphracts, 400 Legionaries and 300 Palatine guards. Those units are elite and should only make up a small part of your forces because their cost is so high. Instead your forces should be mostly made up of lower tiered units JUST LIKE THE AI LORDS which is why the income is what it is.

Also you have just pointed out why Javelins are an exploit. They are an exploit BECAUSE they allow you to have that kind of crazy elite force.

Seriously, this game is supposed to be be a simulation of the medieval world with at least a limited basis in historical accuracy. Armies, even from the most wealthy countries were probably 70% levy, basically untrained or lowly trained troops with limited equipment. 20% professional soldier and 10% elite. You get plenty of money in game to support that sort of army and garrisons.

They will probably nerf smithing so you can feel you deserved those earnings and not reached this level to quickly. I personally felt boring very quickly discovering that smithing is a nuke option in the calradian reality.

Midnightwolf is exactly right. Also the fact that a mere smith could fund an army of 1000 elite soldiers does not really sound very realistic to me. Its strange to still see that this (smithing exploit) is an issue, I've been gone for months and still the same ridiculous things plague this game. What a dissappointment.

The very idea of making "harpoon" (spawn or forged) so expensive is that you (player) are not supposed to have devastating ranged weapon that one-shot most bandits and/or lower tier military units in early game, the same applies to pikes and some high tier two handed swords. At very first, it caused exaggerated profit of workshop that consumes wood to build ranged weapon, once that was fixed (at around 1.2X IIRC), the issue of overpriced thrown weapons and two handed slash weapon emerges, up to this moment.

Some players are telling smithing ruins the game because it gives a lot money.
It's more a boring way to make money which encourages a less entertaining, more repetitive (yes even more) game IMO. Plus if you do it on your character you permanently reduce your skill learning rate for all skills, meaning learning other skills will be frustrating. Even if you use it only with companions many feel it slows the games loading as the .sav fills with more files for all the crafted things you make.

I have 200 imperial elite cataphracts, 400 legionaries and 300 palatine guards as garrisons in 1 town
Yeah see, no offense, I don't mean this to be mean but that's a ****ing stupid thing to do! You don't need that many high tier troops sitting in your town. You will some point likely have a food issue too and they will start disbanding, it's just to many for one town anyways. Also just gotta say, 100 Imperial HA would be better then all that stuff.

See why you craft and hoard soldiers in your 1 town, I can not craft and get massive money just through war and take 10 towns by brute force alone.
Sure, it's a SP game but I think you're missing out by spending so much time in crafting menu. If I were in TW I wouldn't want junky exploits like smithing prices to stay in the game forever. The stuff is just in no way worth anywhere near that amount, it's really dum and if they don't fix it it will be a massive failure.

1 javelin can keep my best troops for 12 days instead of losing from me cause of not getting their salaries.
Your garrison actually won't disband from missing their salary, as completely silly as that is. Your party won't either, unless moral falls too low, which may never happen depending on your leadership.

I just found this problem with the javelins while playing and apart from the money, which i think is completely ridiculous and gamebreaking, does anyone know why or if its supposed to give an enormous boost in smithing xp and discovering parts? I was lvl 20 after grinding a ton of breaking weapons down, making coal, crafting some weapons etc etc i tried to craft the "most dificult" weapon i could craft to see if i could actually do it and found out that it was a javelin with lvl 4 head and lvl 1 body, and not only i was able to do it, but it didnt recieve any negative modifier i got about 60 xp levels in smithing and like 30 diferent parts. I think not only the amount of money you can sell javelins for should be nerfed but the fact that i can get 60 xp levels crafting 1 weapon when i spent maybe 20 mins just to get 18 levels is completely busted.
Also it would be great to increase by a considerable amount the xp that certain smithing actions give and the chance of discovering new parts, as because of the stamina and the fact that it doesnt regen while going around the map (which should be the default without needing a mod) smithing becomes a very boring mechanic where you just sit and spam wait + smith after fighting some enemies and getting loot and after doing this 10 times you maybe get some levels.

Looks like the nerf police are out in force in this discussion.

Apparently, these people lack the willpower to not use the smithing cheese, so they feel obligated to stridently complain about how OP it is until they get the temptation taken away from everyone.

Sad.

Apparently, these people lack the willpower to not use the smithing cheese, so they feel obligated to stridently complain about how OP it is until they get the temptation taken away from everyone.

Sad.
I think people would love to be able to use a smithing system that isn't brokenly OP. Saying "if you don't like it, don't use it" doesn't solve any of its issues.

Sad.
Man, that makes 0 sense. We want to use the smithing feature, but it needs to feel satisfying, not like a cheat code.

i stay with some others here that you dont need this much high end troops to park anywhere.
if he do smithing for the cost of his army and want to use smithing for everything he desires, as lon as its possible i dont care.
i did it once in all my 10 new campaigns and i wont use it again for the javs. i will dump them in the wild. i only will use it for xp and the selfmade weapons.

Here is the thing. You shouldn't have a garrison of 200 Elite Cataphracts, 400 Legionaries and 300 Palatine guards. Those units are elite and should only make up a small part of your forces because their cost is so high. Instead your forces should be mostly made up of lower tiered units JUST LIKE THE AI LORDS which is why the income is what it is.

Also you have just pointed out why Javelins are an exploit. They are an exploit BECAUSE they allow you to have that kind of crazy elite force.

Seriously, this game is supposed to be be a simulation of the medieval world with at least a limited basis in historical accuracy. Armies, even from the most wealthy countries were probably 70% levy, basically untrained or lowly trained troops with limited equipment. 20% professional soldier and 10% elite. You get plenty of money in game to support that sort of army and garrisons.
Counterpoint: This is not real life, its a single player RPG game. It's supposed to be fun. Who wants to play a slugfest where you lose 3/4 of your army in a single battle and have to go to every single village and play town hero until you can recruit peasants with shields? It's not like the AI even plays by this imaginary rule you've come with anyhow - you will never see say Rhagea with an elite retinue of palatine guards and cataphracts - just whatever troops she happened to recruit nearby. The AI never has to buy their own equipment which can currently cost the player millions - that is if you can find it. I agree javelins need to have a reasonable price, but so does literally everything else in the game. As it stands I can buy a cataphract 2 million denars of gear without ever coming close to getting that myself. The best way to make money it seems is buying a wife, taking her stuff, getting her killed, rinse and repeat.

The AI never has to buy their own equipment which can currently cost the player millions - that is if you can find it.
Players don't have to buy their own equipment. I rarely do and just use looted stuff, for the most part. There isn't much reason to care about the penalties in general and you save lots of money.

Counterpoint: This is not real life, its a single player RPG game. It's supposed to be fun. Who wants to play a slugfest where you lose 3/4 of your army in a single battle and have to go to every single village and play town hero until you can recruit peasants with shields? It's not like the AI even plays by this imaginary rule you've come with anyhow - you will never see say Rhagea with an elite retinue of palatine guards and cataphracts - just whatever troops she happened to recruit nearby. The AI never has to buy their own equipment which can currently cost the player millions - that is if you can find it. I agree javelins need to have a reasonable price, but so does literally everything else in the game. As it stands I can buy a cataphract 2 million denars of gear without ever coming close to getting that myself. The best way to make money it seems is buying a wife, taking her stuff, getting her killed, rinse and repeat.
I will respond to this how I always do to these kind of responses.

This is a single player experience. At the end of the day the only person the game has to please is you. Play however you want. If exploiting the system makes the game more fun for you do it, simple as that.

However, that doesn't change the fact that your exploiting the game to have that mighty elite garrison. Saying that the base game should remain broken just to accommodate your playstyle doesn't improve the overall game because most people would like the base game to work as intended without any exploitable mechanics. That is just the place we should start from.

Also, I will let you in on a little secret. If you want to exploit the game to make money, don't waste your time with Javelins, just use alt + ~ and open the console command menu to give yourself any amount of money you want. Takes like 20 seconds. Did it last night and gave myself 100 million Denar so I could afford to recruit a lord with 3 cities who hated me to my faction. You can also use to to spawn in items and any number of things. Also mods will work wonders for exploiting and cheating. I got my game set to gain skill like 3 times faster than normal and I get 1 focus and 1 attribute per level. I even got tweaks that make it so it is easier to manage town. On and I use a mod that allows me to edit the skills of all my companions and myself and I use it to mod out some sweet, actually qualified, governors for my towns and castles. Also I do various other things with mods to make the game more enjoyable for myself.

Seriously though, it is ok to cheat, exploit or whatever if that makes the game more fun for you, but campaigning to have a broken mechanic to be purposely left in the game to cater to the playstyle you want, isn't the way to go about it. At the end of the day, the base game should be as exploit free as possible, in case in the future you or someone else wants a hardmode experience.

I will respond to this how I always do to these kind of responses.

This is a single player experience. At the end of the day the only person the game has to please is you. Play however you want. If exploiting the system makes the game more fun for you do it, simple as that.

However, that doesn't change the fact that your exploiting the game to have that mighty elite garrison. Saying that the base game should remain broken just to accommodate your playstyle doesn't improve the overall game because most people would like the base game to work as intended without any exploitable mechanics. That is just the place we should start from.

Also, I will let you in on a little secret. If you want to exploit the game to make money, don't waste your time with Javelins, just use alt + ~ and open the console command menu to give yourself any amount of money you want. Takes like 20 seconds. Did it last night and gave myself 100 million Denar so I could afford to recruit a lord with 3 cities who hated me to my faction. You can also use to to spawn in items and any number of things. Also mods will work wonders for exploiting and cheating. I got my game set to gain skill like 3 times faster than normal and I get 1 focus and 1 attribute per level. I even got tweaks that make it so it is easier to manage town. On and I use a mod that allows me to edit the skills of all my companions and myself and I use it to mod out some sweet, actually qualified, governors for my towns and castles. Also I do various other things with mods to make the game more enjoyable for myself.

Seriously though, it is ok to cheat, exploit or whatever if that makes the game more fun for you, but campaigning to have a broken mechanic to be purposely left in the game to cater to the playstyle you want, isn't the way to go about it. At the end of the day, the base game should be as exploit free as possible, in case in the future you or someone else wants a hardmode experience.
Amen.(y)

In other words, change it to cater to the playstyle you want, right?

I just found this problem with the javelins while playing and apart from the money, which i think is completely ridiculous and gamebreaking, does anyone know why or if its supposed to give an enormous boost in smithing xp and discovering parts? I was lvl 20 after grinding a ton of breaking weapons down, making coal, crafting some weapons etc etc i tried to craft the "most dificult" weapon i could craft to see if i could actually do it and found out that it was a javelin with lvl 4 head and lvl 1 body, and not only i was able to do it, but it didnt recieve any negative modifier i got about 60 xp levels in smithing and like 30 diferent parts. I think not only the amount of money you can sell javelins for should be nerfed but the fact that i can get 60 xp levels crafting 1 weapon when i spent maybe 20 mins just to get 18 levels is completely busted.
Also it would be great to increase by a considerable amount the xp that certain smithing actions give and the chance of discovering new parts, as because of the stamina and the fact that it doesnt regen while going around the map (which should be the default without needing a mod) smithing becomes a very boring mechanic where you just sit and spam wait + smith after fighting some enemies and getting loot and after doing this 10 times you maybe get some levels.
It's multiple layers of ****ed up mechanics and I read that it was a real cram to get smithing into the EA at all. It's blatantly unfinished and unbalanced. It was probably a tuff call to included it at all but I'm sure they wanted everything they could and it is at least something you do that you couldn't do in (Native) warband.
It's something like the exp is based of the value and the value is based of the 1st base damage listing so you end up with these basically garbage or unremarkable items that magically have a high sell price and give massive character exp, skill exp and unlock exp. It could be very different but my point is it's multiple layers of problems letting it be this way.

This is also why you have weird stuff in prices like the Long Glaive, a monstrous weapon, costing only 1.5k because although it's 2 handed damage is very high, it's 1 handed stat are modest and that's what the game used for it's value. Meanwhile the Rhomfailia, though similar, cannot be 1 handed, so the game uses it's 2 handed damage and so it's quite expensive, although being slightly worse then the Long Glaive.

The fact you don't have any failure chance or skill requirement for making stuff is pretty ridiculous and probably unprecedented in RPG games where smithing is a "skill". Even skyrim, the poster of casualized dum down RPG, makes you raise the skill and use perk points to be able to make Items beyond Iron.

I guess if you like making smithing money, enjoy it while it lasts because there's no way they would leave smithing in any way similar to how it is forever. You're probably looking at a linear park unlock and skill gain progression, failure chance and a long, long, grindy time of smithing weapons that are not more valuable then generic battle loot before you reach the capability to make more expensive stuff.

In other words, change it to cater to the playstyle you want, right?
Thats the thing though its not even a play style you are basically saying that a BASE function of gameplay (smithing) should remain BROKEN as in %100 unusable for anyone whishing to use the feature without becoming instant millionaires. He was saying you can already use the command to make money which changes essentially nothing for you to use but would mean everyone else who wants to RP or just flat out use the smithing to make their own weapons wouldnt have to dump items to not break the economy which is supposed to be affected by the players actions... its broken no matter what anyones opinion is it is broken. and to advocate to keep a broken mechanic so you dont have to say you are literally cheating will break the game for literally everyone else. if you want that type of army get one but dont try to keep the game broken just to accomplish it

Back
Top Bottom