SMD support

Users who are viewing this thread

Inukshuk

Sergeant at Arms
Hi.

I'm trying to find a way of creating new animations for mount&blade. The only thing is, it's hard to find the software.

To edit an animation, I must first export it to SMD format, which I can do in BRFedit. However, the only program that I know has the ability to edit animations in SMD format is 3ds Max. This is far too expensive. Gmax, which is free, can load SMD files thanks to the SMD import/export plug-in. Though you can do rigging in gmax, I am told that editig animations is not possible. So the question I am really asking, is does anybody know any free/generally affordable programmes with which I can edit animations in SMD format. I know Milkshape 3d can do animations, but I do not know of any SMD plug-ins for this particular software. Put more simply, does anybody know how I can edit animations without spending all my money saved up for university?

Merry Chirstmas  :grin:
~Inukshuk

I'm quite sure Milkshape can import/export smd files. I've used it before. You can also make animations in Fragmotion. I don't know how expensive it is, but you can use the trial pretty long.

Aha. I used Milkshape back in the days when I used to model for Jedi Academy. Do you remember how you import/export SMDs (if you can) - do I need a plug-in or is it already there? It would be great if I can use this program since I have already purchased it. Thanks for the quick reply, by the way  :wink:.

gMax can do animation.  But it has its problems.  Another option is Blender, which is also free.

"gmax can do animation".
I'm sure Highlander would beg to disagree  :grin:.
Thank's Thor, I'll look into max and blender on Saturday (Christmas hols, yay!).

Milkshape is a pretty crappy program, and it does cost money, at $25. But yeah, it has built-in .smd support and support for many other formats as well.

I've already bought milkshape, but things like that are ok - under £30 (yes, I'm British) which is $60. I'll have look at fragmotion tomorrow as well. Milkshape may me harder to model with than wings3d, but it's animation system looks alright - I've seen a couple videos before and it dosen't look too hard. Thaks guys for all the great responses. I'd be glad to hear any other programs if anyone knows them. Merry Christmas  :wink:.

Sorry for the double post, but I have another question. Would it be possible to use a program like Milkshape to make a new skeleton and use that in game? That way, I can make a new human skeleton which I find easier to work with.

zinklesmesh said:
Milkshape is a pretty crappy program, and it does cost money, at $25. But yeah, it has built-in .smd support and support for many other formats as well.
Crappy how?

And yes, it has .obj and .smd exporters and importers. Along with a ****load of others and you can animate with it. You get a 30 day trial.

I've already purchased it - I used it a lot back in the days when I modelled for Jedi Knight. I was wondering if I could load up a human mesh (without any skeleton), make skeleton in milkshape, and use that skeleton in game. If the game uses an SMD file for the skeleton, then I'd imagine all I have to do is replace it. But I'm not sure.

Edit:

If the game uses an SMD file for the skeleton, then I'd imagine all I have to do is replace it.
Oh wait, of course it does.  What else is Skeletons.obj for? Now I wonder if this will work...

Raz said:
zinklesmesh said:
Crappy how?

And yes, it has .obj and .smd exporters and importers. Along with a ****load of others and you can animate with it. You get a 30 day trial.

Can only model with triangles, the animating system is really primitive and basic, it's very buggy, it has a crappy uv mapper, it has bad viewports, no rendering, takes three times longer to do most things in milkshape than in something like blender, gmax, or 3dsmax. It's only good for getting models into some games, because it has so many file format plugins (I use it all the time for getting models from 3dsmax to Half-Life) But as a modeling program, there are plenty of free programs that are better.

I won't even be using it to model, UV map or anything like that, but from what I've seen, it's animation system dosen't look too bad.

Inukshuk said:
I won't even be using it to model, UV map or anything like that, but from what I've seen, it's animation system dosen't look too bad.

It's very primitive. Like, it's easy to learn, but there's not really much you can do with it.

Back
Top Bottom