SKJALDBORG – The Final Víkingr Shieldwall Event (In the past)

Users who are viewing this thread

First half i had a really nice time, but the second part tonight went into something i did not enjoy to much. Anyway, thank you all for celebrating another awesome Vikingr Shieldwall Event!

Yes, thanks to the leaders, Aedh and Zuba. Well done!

I hope you all had fun. Unfortunately we saw some bad behaviour towards the end of the event. The following players have been permanently banned on Hildileikr and the event server:
  • Felyn
  • Thengel
  • Baron_Lomnard
  • Earl_Haraldsson

Cheers!

What has Earl_Haraldsson done to earn his ban? I have noticed him using the chat a lot, mainly to complain about the opponent.

Ingbrand said:
First half i had a really nice time, but the second part tonight went into something i did not enjoy to much.
I have had the same experience. After some time, flanking just became rampant. As a a matter of fact at one point I had two enemy axemen insouciantly thrashing about right behind me even though both shieldwalls were still standing. And I would like to point out that I was carrying the banner at that time and therefore standing in the middle of the formation away from the actual scrummage.

Nice event! Feels good to be back to Vikingr. Special thanks to the leader of the Rus, Zuba and to those crazy Russians on TS who kept our spirits up! X)

This one was a nice event overall. At last, I got to kill people. I was even praised once because I beheaded someone. I felt full of pride and joy at that moment and whatnot. The entire Goidelic team raped me shortly after, but whatever. Also, this was before the actual event. During the event itself, I also killed people, but it wasn't praiseworthy, and it made me sad because I wasn't a glorious slavic warrior. The Rusĭ leader was a great guy, too.

However, I couldn't enjoy the last part of the event, because I was banned before even beginning the third map, after Felyn's rampage (I'm Æstán, in the Rusĭ team). I do not know why I was banned, because I didn't teamkill anyone. Maybe there was a reason other than TKing, I don't know. I don't remeber doing something to earn the ban, but everything was pretty confusing, so maybe I did. In all honesty, I was pretty mad at the moment, but I don't know all versions of the tale, so I'll wait before accusing anyone of anything.

This is, so far, my first and only problem with one of your events, so I'm not going to ***** about it like a spoiled child. Just asking if there was a reason for the ban. Obviously, if I don't know why I was banned, I can't fix whatever is wrong with me in the first place.

So, long story made short: I did enjoy it, at least before the ban. I think I was banned without reason. In case there was a reason, I would like to know it, so next time I don't **** up.

Æstan, I just checked the log and I see you didn't so much as teamhit anyone during that murderous spree. At the time, I was sure I had seen you join in, but it appears I was wrong. Sorry! The situation was pretty chaotic and it's easy to misidentify someone, or even to just click on the wrong name in the list, so I hope you don't mind too much.

If it helps, the event was almost finished by then and you only missed about 10 minutes. :razz:

Anyway, thanks to the two leaders, Zuba and Aedh! As for how things played out, my impression is that we had more trouble than usual to keep people from breaking off or flanking, and that maybe there's many newer people who haven't had the chance to learn proper shieldwall etiquette and tactics in previous events because we tend to assume everybody already knows everything they need to know, and therefore we don't pay as much attention to the instructions and the explanations, and those players might be picking up wrong habits as a result. What do you guys think? Should we emphasize teaching about the shieldwall a bit more before an event starts?

MarchHare said:
This one was a nice event overall. At last, I got to kill people. I was even praised once because I beheaded someone. I felt full of pride and joy at that moment and whatnot. The entire Goidelic team raped me shortly after, but whatever. Also, this was before the actual event. During the event itself, I also killed people, but it wasn't praiseworthy, and it made me sad because I wasn't a glorious slavic warrior. The Rusĭ leader was a great guy, too.

However, I couldn't enjoy the last part of the event, because I was banned before even beginning the third map, after Felyn's rampage (I'm Æstán, in the Rusĭ team). I do not know why I was banned, because I didn't teamkill anyone. Maybe there was a reason other than TKing, I don't know. I don't remeber doing something to earn the ban, but everything was pretty confusing, so maybe I did. In all honesty, I was pretty mad at the moment, but I don't know all versions of the tale, so I'll wait before accusing anyone of anything.

This is, so far, my first and only problem with one of your events, so I'm not going to ***** about it like a spoiled child. Just asking if there was a reason for the ban. Obviously, if I don't know why I was banned, I can't fix whatever is wrong with me in the first place.

So, long story made short: I did enjoy it, at least before the ban. I think I was banned without reason. In case there was a reason, I would like to know it, so next time I don't **** up.

When Felyn and a few others started teamkilling wildly things got a bit chaotic since people started fighting back, which is completely understandable, and succeeded in killing some of the teamkillers, making it a bit obscure for the admins to figure out who actually started teamkilling. I vaguely recall you killing Felyn for his teamkilling (might be wrong on this), which in turn may have made the admins assume you were one of the teamkillers. I think it's best not to fight back in situations like these, since it makes it easier for the admins to spot the culprits.

As for what hrotha said: I think the rules are explained very thoroughly at every shieldbattle and there are some great tips in the forum thread on how to fight properly in a shieldwall. A lot of people just can't resist the urge to snatch a cheeky flank-kill. The amount of flanking varies a lot though and most of the time it doesn't bother me at all. That teamkilling-fest this shieldwall was a mess though, then again little could have prevented that.

Snowthorn said:
That teamkilling-fest this shieldwall was a mess though, then again little could have prevented that.
How about checkpoints at the entrance and snipers on the roof?

On a more serious note, some kind of shieldwall drill session to prepare for the real event could be a nice one shot thing. However, I figure the people who would attend such a drill are the least likely to break the rules anyways.

Back
Top Bottom