Skills & Attributes

Users who are viewing this thread

Cenobite

Banned
Does anyone have upto date skill descriptions for Bannerlord, seems they are still adding to the skill tree the medical skill doesn't work like it used too.

Also last i played i was not earning Attribute points when leveling up, used to be every 3 levels in Warband you would get an extra attribute point but all it now gives is focus points so the game is unplayable by level 10 because you have all these focus points with no attributes.

Do i use focus points to buy attributes or something now? how does this new skill & attribute system work because it's not great in my opinion i prefer the old system and would be good if you could switch between old skill systems or the new one which seems more developed for console players then PC.

Yeah it's pretty bad tbh. Every forth level you will get an attribute point. FP and attributes both increase the maximum you can raise a skill to (attributes the 3 skill group). You need 7 attribute and 5 FP to reach the 275 skill perks. You can expect to get 6-9 attribute point in game depending on how long it goes and how active you are. Every time you level up, the learning rate for all skills goes down slightly. You gain exp toward leveling up for any skill actions, even if you have no FP/attribute invested in it and gain no actual skill, so you will level up a lot no matter what. Levels don't give you anything but FP and attribute.

If you have any specific question go ahead and ask.

Yeah every three or whatever levels a mod might of set the point balance at, i couldn't remember what native Warband was because i always mod my games after testing the rule set.. I tend to need to know where things are through gameplay before i make big changes in creating world overhaul mods.
The skill system has confused me this version it's always been a set system from the original M&B years ago and i've gotten used to that system, it was easy to manage troop txt changes or other changes made to BRF files or DDS textures back when i was modding the old game, i used to require 5 or so editors to modify the content and balance any new items i added into the game... The new editor i haven't used much as i'm waiting for the full release before i fully work with the new mod kit. I have a bunch of new content to add but the new changes to the skill system have make me uneasy... the game feels more console now then what older games provided in skill sets, while there may be some advantage once used to the new system i still think the old system was easier to manage and work with... I never had any issue raising skills and attributes in the old game and i think the level cap was either 700 or 999, either way it was a massive game you could play for years depending on how you played the game...

Since i never played the game like a total war i never used some of the content for massive battles... I mostly level up a team of hero's to high level then build an army after i have done so much diplomacy over the map to sway lords into the faction i create.
I never start out in my own faction or join any faction as skill and attribute building is important to start as well as diplomacy to win the entire map... I found in older games it was extremely hard to kill Kings or Lords...only by capturing and starving them in most cases they would escape and rebuild armies making it impossible to wipe out factions totally, the only way you could truly win a game was through doing quests for certain people, being picky about those missions because a lot get you into more trouble then it's worth, once you have figured out who to work for and when you'll gain enough diplomacy over the land through winning tournaments and doing favors for local towns and villages till they all want to join your faction when you start one up, Good enough diplomacy over years of play & near every lord thinks you're a legend and that you deserve to rule instead of trying to kill all factions. Skill and attributes are important, it sounds like the new system they have killed off high leveling, i mean you could always just switch the level of difficulty during game if your levels made things too easy because of huge skill and attributes, was easier to manage before without a system of perk like abilities when all those skills had those abilities as you got higher in level anyway, picking focus points in skills is not my idea of fun and limits a characters progression so many ways.

I never had any issue raising skills and attributes in the old game and i think the level cap was either 700 or 999
The level cap was 62 or 63. If you went any higher it literally broke the game.

I never start out in my own faction or join any faction as skill and attribute building is important to start as well as diplomacy to win the entire map... I found in older games it was extremely hard to kill Kings or Lords...only by capturing and starving them in most cases they would escape and rebuild armies making it impossible to wipe out factions totally, the only way you could truly win a game was through doing quests for certain people, being picky about those missions because a lot get you into more trouble then it's worth, once you have figured out who to work for and when you'll gain enough diplomacy over the land through winning tournaments and doing favors for local towns and villages till they all want to join your faction when you start one up, Good enough diplomacy over years of play & near every lord thinks you're a legend and that you deserve to rule instead of trying to kill all factions.
Are you even talking about Warband?

You need 7 attribute and 5 FP to reach the 275 skill perks.

If you have any specific question go ahead and ask.
I just did a run and had 4 AP and 5 FP and got past 225 in Steward.

Do you know what the limit is for 2 and 3 AP and 5 FP? Just guessing from the math, but I assume 3 AP and 5 FP can get a skill past 200.

Will the level up learning rate decrease prevent you from getting a high skill if you try to learn something late?

Say at level 28 I decide to take up Smithing, with 7 AP and 5 FP could I still get to 275 or because of the high level would I get capped earlier?

For OP, have you looked at BannerlordPerks? They may have some of the information you are looking for.

Do you know what the limit is for 2 and 3 AP and 5 FP? Just guessing from the math, but I assume 3 AP and 5 FP can get a skill past 200.

Will the level up learning rate decrease prevent you from getting a high skill if you try to learn something late?

Say at level 28 I decide to take up Smithing, with 7 AP and 5 FP could I still get to 275 or because of the high level would I get capped earlier?

For OP, have you looked at BannerlordPerks? They may have some of the information you are looking for.

The level cap was 62 or 63. If you went any higher it literally broke the game.

Are you even talking about Warband?
What are you trying to say i'm lying now. did you come here to troll me because i know the levels went to at least 700, you could set them in config settings. i modded the game it went into the hundreds i just couldn't remember if the cap was 700 or 999.. was for skills or levels. 63 was not a cap don't know where you got that from first i have heard that one, the skills limit to a point yes but you do keep gaining certain things like hit points.. You can set anything in config, or troop text to those limits don't tell me otherwise or make out you know better because i have modified the game since the first M&B it's not much different. Next thing you'll tell me that i haven't played the game right and you'll drag me into some argument i don't intend to get into because you think the level cap is 63 for warband.
it had a 700 level cap from the first game go play and find out...

Not here to argue how good you are and what you think you know about the level cap, i just wanted to know if there was a detailed list i could look at for skills and attributes that's upto date with current information, since the skill set has changed i'd like to see what changes and improvements have been made. Thanks to those that are answering me instead of picking silly fights about the level cap which i know is way higher then 63 for M&B and Warband.

What are you trying to say i'm lying now. did you come here to troll me because i know the levels went to at least 700, you could set them in config settings. i modded the game it went into the hundreds i just couldn't remember if the cap was 700 or 999.. was for skills or levels. 63 was not a cap don't know where you got that from first i have heard that one, the skills limit to a point yes but you do keep gaining certain things like hit points.. You can set anything in config, or troop text to those limits don't tell me otherwise or make out you know better because i have modified the game since the first M&B it's not much different. Next thing you'll tell me that i haven't played the game right and you'll drag me into some argument i don't intend to get into because you think the level cap is 63 for warband.
it had a 700 level cap from the first game go play and find out...

Not here to argue how good you are and what you think you know about the level cap, i just wanted to know if there was a detailed list i could look at for skills and attributes that's upto date with current information, since the skill set has changed i'd like to see what changes and improvements have been made. Thanks to those that are answering me instead of picking silly fights about the level cap which i know is way higher then 63 for M&B and Warband.
"The maximum level is 62 due to an overflow glitch that occurs at 63."

79F1C0ADB3DF52AC1AD58B528BA1921BF2439240

Max level was 62, and I also think that was the maximum level that any attribute could go as well, at least naturally. As in, once you get to 62 STR or AGI, you can't add any more. BUT, you could manually set your attributes as high as you wanted just by editing the character file through character import/export. So that's how you get things like 1000 Stat Man

Here's a screen cap of a video showing the skill caps. It's @Flesson19 video.

I don't think the leveling speed can reduce the hard caps, just make getting there slower and slower. As you can see there doesn't seem to be much though in the spread of skill caps with points, probably their effect was an after thought.

We desperately need a method of improving companion/family skills in a timely manner. Raising weapon skills of companions is the absolute worst in which you need to engage weaker bands of enemies and wait for companions to raise skills. Assigning them to garrisons or training fields to improve skills over time seems like a good compromise.

Additionally, the requirements for sending companions to complete quests is ridiculous by clan tier 3+, as its nearly impossible to train a companion to have 150+ tactics, roguery, or trade.

Max level was 62, and I also think that was the maximum level that any attribute could go as well, at least naturally. As in, once you get to 62 STR or AGI, you can't add any more. BUT, you could manually set your attributes as high as you wanted just by editing the character file through character import/export. So that's how you get things like 1000 Stat Man

you could change the level in the config ini files, the cap was 700 and 999 for skills, as i said weather those skill caps actually had effects beyond a certain level in game was in most cases pointless. I maintain the cap is 700 with 999 for skills as i have changed these settings in mods and always look at the maximums, years ago you could only have 250 troops on the map you needed mods to expand it, the item limit was also around 1000 before they didn't show up in game, Warband increased some caps for mod makers but the framework was there for high levels, you could change skills stats and such with editors to give higher levels value but i'm not going into explaining coding the game.
i personally never leveled a character to 700 but that is the maximum allowed by the game. once you get most skills upto 100 or over they cap to a certain point in usefulness based on the skill, you could have 250 proficiency in weapon skill but armour skill might reduce it's effects on the battlefield, things like iron skin helped against high skill level other skills reduce the level of high skills making them much less after taking negatives from battle modifiers that influence each skill set.

I haven't played Warband in years they could of changed some values usually increased not lowered but i know for a fact the caps were 700 for levels because i have always maintained M&B always had the highest level cap of any game i played, you can go into the native files where characters stats are in config settings change the start values of stats, i always increased the start value in my mods as the native gives no ability, most mods do increase stats and levels of troops making higher skill level relevant,

My point the skill system has changed somewhat from older games and i wouldn't mind seeing a more detailed run down of how all the skills and the levels work, last i played i just got sick of not earning attributes, it was just giving me focus points for leveling in the new Bannerlord with no stat increase to raise caps which made it silly i couldn't spend all these focus points because no stat would increase, the system just didn't make sense to me from the old one.

You have to remember each hero party member adds to total skill level, while each character may be limited in total skill effectiveness when on the combat map, Medics all combine skill level for your party, etc,etc, all Hero skill levels add to certain party skills increasing effectiveness, siege engineers combine with your characters making any total value much higher then your characters total stat values, i think the caps 700 and 999 are for combined party values when determining large scale battles with many characters so effectively each character leveled will only add to total party skill and stat value to a set level before they just become redundant if a set value is reached on a total party stat bases.
You got ten hero's in your group that all level the same as the player character some of those values combine on the battlefield so the actual cap has to be larger even tho level effectiveness cuts off at a certain point.

You have to remember each hero party member adds to total skill level, while each character may be limited in total skill effectiveness when on the combat map, Medics all combine skill level for your party, etc,etc, all Hero skill levels add to certain party skills increasing effectiveness, siege engineers combine with your characters making any total value much higher then your characters total stat values
This must be a mod you made or something. In Native warband only trainer works for all members. All other skills it takes only the highest active skill level. If the player character has some passive skills at certain increments they will get a bonus +1 skill, which carries over even if they aren't the highest in the skill. This has caused massive confusion a "internet urban legends" about party skills in warband. It's actually very simple though.

Anyway, not trying to argue or derail the thread, but it just sounds like you describing something very differant.

Well the limits were something i had just found while tinkering with the old code years ago, as i said those caps were not realistic but they are values that are in acceptable limits within the games framework, weather the native game made use of the cap limits or how it divides up skill between party members gaining levels grouped under one banner i'm not so sure about, but i assumed the level cap limits might take into account varying levels of hero's under one banner and all skills that combine for total level in skill rather then adventuring alone for 700 levels like you would in a typical rpg. The difficulty also increases the negative multipliers on skills so high levels on realistic settings you need higher skill levels the cap makes more sense on maximum difficulty settings.

The new skill system has me totally confused about how to level some skills, you could just roam the map winning battles doing missions and all your party would skill up when the skill was in use like a old Elder Scrolls game. Now i have to get this trainer or have them set to use this ability or that, its changed the whole skill and attribute system which was something of a bad change, i liked the old skill and attribute system, it was simple but effective, now i'm playing a diablo style pick a line of perks with focus points which detracts from how you used to skill up and the freedom that it wasn't much hassle to increase skills if you used them enough. Now there are all sorts of handbrakes implemented and since i haven't played Warband in awhile i'm not sure the recent changes they added to that game that have impact on this system because the only thing i find the same about Bannerlord is the map, the old style combat system & riding around a small map which in most cases doesn't change with the correct environment, "you get one standard environment instead of varying maps in certain areas so you know what the battle map is going to be according to area where it used to take into account any geographical features you started combat on. There are so many things i feel are missing and the skill system seems incomplete because i can't seem to level skills that should be easy to level. Way too many focus points with no ability raise is really miserly to start out characters with these low ball stats they give in background traits, us modders have to increase this to make it fun and playable.

Last edited:
We desperately need a method of improving companion/family skills in a timely manner. Raising weapon skills of companions is the absolute worst in which you need to engage weaker bands of enemies and wait for companions to raise skills. Assigning them to garrisons or training fields to improve skills over time seems like a good compromise.

Additionally, the requirements for sending companions to complete quests is ridiculous by clan tier 3+, as its nearly impossible to train a companion to have 150+ tactics, roguery, or trade.
Used to be if you had a good enough skill in training that you pass on to your hero's experience as you just move over the map aswell as increased by battlefield encounters you would just level them overtime with high training skill and characters with high INT stat learn quicker. all hero's in the one party gain the training and all will level over time, that's what it used to be but this system has changed.

I found once you get to higher levels the combined party trainers would level party members too quickly, this would throw off party economics as levels cost more money to maintain, sometimes you don't want hero's to level if your low on funds because of upkeep costs, it's ok if they are a free member like a sibling or wife or other member that doesn't charge you on going daily costs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom