Skeletons and Hit Boxes on .808

Users who are viewing this thread

Stefano

Squire
When I left these forums some time ago, I remember hearing promises of new skeletons importing support for the new version of m&b. Did it happen? How about hit boxes?
I couldn't find any info on this over the forums, so I suppose it didn't happen.

I was willing to give another shot at the TLD ogre and Warhammer gnome/dwarf.

Cheers,
-Stefano

As far as anyone knows, moddable skeleton support still hasn't made it into M&B 0.8xx, nor are the hitboxes modifiable.  There's a hint at it, within module_skins.py - a "scale = 1.0" parameter which the comments notes is "not fully supported".  Don't know if anyone has explored this in detail to find out just how "not fully" this is.  Could be anywhere from "Armagan has it working but hasn't debugged it to his comfort zone" to "the code is partly written and this unused parameter is his note-to-self".

There's a field for skeletons in module_skins though, isn't there?

[(voice_die,"snd_man_die"),(voice_hit,"snd_man_hit"),(voice_grunt,"snd_man_grunt"),(voice_grunt_long,"snd_man_grunt_long"),(voice_yell,"snd_man_yell"),
(voice_warcry,"snd_man_warcry"),(voice_victory,"snd_man_victory")], #voice sounds
    "skel_human", 1.0,
  ),
That's it, isn't it?
It's all academic anyway until Thorgrim's fixed skeleton support in BRFEdit.

Yeah that`s it, but the animation format changed. Armagan is likely to change the format again, so Thorgrim don`t have plans of supporting the current one. Or so I read.

Ursca said:
If that's true, I might have to change some plans.  :???:
Have you got a link?

BRF Edit thread, page 30. Thorgrim on the skeletons format:
Thorgrim said:
Yeah, the format has changed a bit.

I have worked out the new format, and will probably update it at some point.  However since Armagan is going to be further changing it next version, I'm not sure it is worth the time.

Ursca said:
[(voice_die,"snd_man_die"),(voice_hit,"snd_man_hit"),(voice_grunt,"snd_man_grunt"),(voice_grunt_long,"snd_man_grunt_long"),(voice_yell,"snd_man_yell"),
(voice_warcry,"snd_man_warcry"),(voice_victory,"snd_man_victory")], #voice sounds
    "skel_human", 1.0,
  ),
That's it, isn't it?

Sorry mate. I'm not much of a scripter myself so I've missed it.
But that's excellent news. Even if it's only an academic thing, it means now there's hope!  :wink:

And I assume the "1.0" after the "skel_human" is the not fully supported hit box scaling feature, Hellequin mentioned. I wonder what's not supported though, since being able to scale or not seems pretty boolean to me.

Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Opened module_skins and saw it.

Stefano said:
Ursca said:
    "skel_human", 1.0,
  ),
That's it, isn't it?

But that's excellent news. Even if it's only an academic thing, it means now there's hope!  :wink:

And I assume the "1.0" after the "skel_human" is the not fully supported hit box scaling feature, Hellequin mentioned. I wonder what's not supported though, since being able to scale or not seems pretty boolean to me.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, someone needs to *really* try it out at some point.  Perhaps if you modeled a full human that was large size (or just rescaled it) and then put the scale to 1.5 or whatever it might work.

Several things like the ability to give backgrounds to menus "didn't work" until someone just played around with it for a while.  Could in fact be that it would work with some effort.

I have tested a few of the new things, and basically, most of it doesn't quite work right yet.  The main reason I have been a bit hesitant toward updating BRFEdit to support the new format, is that as well as having to re code all the skeleton stuff in the next update, you guys may need to recreate a lot of your skeletons, which would be quite annoying.

Really, 0.808 doesn't give you that much more power than 0.751 (there are a couple of improvements, but nothing major).  And very few people made use of skeleton editing in 0.751...  From the framework that I can see Armagan is setting up though, we should have a lot more flexibility when it is complete.

I did get 1/2 way through converting BRFEdit to 0.808 format though, so I may still update it at some point if I get time.

So, there's the final answer we were all expecting.  :wink:

IMHO, I think it's probably better if we just wait for the next release of m&b, since you're saying skeletons are not working properly (no major improvements since .701) yet.
Of course, if you decide to release an update I'd use it. :mrgreen: But I just don't think it's worth the effort.

bryce777 said:
Stefano said:
Ursca said:
    "skel_human", 1.0,
  ),
That's it, isn't it?

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, someone needs to *really* try it out at some point.  Perhaps if you modeled a full human that was large size (or just rescaled it) and then put the scale to 1.5 or whatever it might work.

Several things like the ability to give backgrounds to menus "didn't work" until someone just played around with it for a while.  Could in fact be that it would work with some effort.
just doesn't work right now. I tried it, scaling the skeleton and body parts, but the skeleton doesn't scale down. you get the smaller body with normal skeleton, which results in mesh stretching much like when an armor is rigged wrong.

Back
Top Bottom