Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
e1.5.4
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
I last played on 17 Nov and then patched today. So I now have e1.5.4.248410

My (single player campaign) game saves were previously in E:\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves
With configs in E:\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Configs

In game, when I open the Saved Games (that should be found in the above folder, my files from 17 Nov where still in the above folder) I get an empty list. Nothing.

I tried creating a new Campaign, saved and quit. Restarted, still not showing anything in Saved Games.

I performed a search and found the new save file in a folder path, similar to that below (I did not record the path at the time).

Backed up csave files. I uninstalled both M&B and Steam. Then reinstalled. Copied my save files back in to the Game Saves folder above (yes it was created during install).

Ran M&B, Started single player. Opened saved files, empty (no files listed). Created a new campaign. Saved the game. The saved files list remained blank.

Exited game, using search found it in E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client\돀ᢒDž\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves

Restarted the game, still no list of saved games. Which means it is not reading files from either of the two paths (above) for game saves.

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎30/‎08/‎2020
OS build 19042.630
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

My last windows update occurred on 15 Nov. So as save files were located and seen properly on the 17th, it indicates a M&B patch change.

Additionally:
  1. M&B is not finding the graphics calibration data file, so each time I start the game I have to set this.
  2. The folder Win64_Shipping_Client has a bunch of weird folder names besides the one above. eg 潃普杩屳湥楧敮损湯楦⹧硴t Blade II Bannerlord (looks like an Asian character set).

Please make sure that the game is on the controlled folder access allowed apps list in your security software. Well known security software that may be tied with the issue is Windows Defender. If you are using Windows Defender:

- Open Windows Defender Security Center.
- Click on Virus & threat protection.
- Click the Virus & threat protection settings option.
- Under "Controlled folder access," click the Allow an app through Controlled folder access link.
- Click the Add an allowed app button.

We suspect that the latest Windows update caused this.
Where is your Documents folder located?
What is your Windows OS' full version? (as like this)
You can try manually moving the documents folder to where its originally located.

Windows OS 10 Home,
Version 20H2 (if you do not recognise this version, consult Microsoft as this is the version).

My Windows update last occurred on 15 Nov.

Mount and Blade was patched on 17 Nov and I played M&B with no issues. The Saved Games folder was E:\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves. Games were saved and accessible in that folder.

Hot fixes e.1.5.4 dated 20/11/20, 25/11/20 and 27/11/20 were applied on 28 Nov. It was after this action that Saved Games feature was broken.

The game save files from 17 Nov were still in the original Saved Games folder.

Games previously saved on the 17 Nov were no longer visible, the M&B Games Saved screen showed no files. I created a New Campaign, played it until the three battles vs 6 enemies were completed and then saved the game. No auto save files were visible in the saved games screen. After Save New file was completed, that save was not visible.

I performed a file search (*.sav) and found an auto save file plus in a folder below E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client\ <garbage folder name> \ Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves
I also found the new save file in: E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client\돀ᢒDž\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves ; Note it too has a garbage folder name.

I suspect one of the three hot fixes changed where M&B looks for Saved Game files, and now each game save action creates a new locations that are different to where it looks for Saved Games (I. As the Saved Games screen continues to display an empty list, no matter how many game saves I perform.

Effectively, I am unable to load any saved game. Which in effect kills the campaign option of Single player.

Screenshot of the folder structure uploaded.

Last edited:
I cannot load save files. They cannot be found from within the game, therefore it is unplayable.

Every time I re-start the game a new folder is created to store config files, and another folder is created to store game saves (which are not accessible). Put simply, M&B saves files in a different location every time.

Latest folder names are:
  • 燀ꙝƼ
  • 綰覟Ƽ

If the game corruption is not from a TaleWorlds update, then it is from Steam update/install.
Steam has verified Local (2) files to say the installation is good.

I have already completely uninstalled M&B + Steam, then re-installed them without the issue being resolved.

I have an ASUS G75V, which has two physical drives. A 250GB SSD and a 750GB HD. Half the SSD is split into 2 logical drives C: and D:. The 750GB drive is split into E: and F:. The C: drive is primarily for OS, D: is used for apps that earn the right to be installed on a fast data drive. Apps that don't need gaming speed or are too bloated get pushed to E: and F:.

There are multiple reasons this is done. ASUS built it as a gaming laptop, with this drive structure, for improved performance. M&B Bannerlord might get moved to D: one day when it is more complete/stable.

I cannot reload any Game Saves.

I have now tried un-installing and re-installing again. The location used by Steam for the install is "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam".

I created the end path (after Documents) and copied a save file to "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves", restarted the game, still no file in the Saved Games screen.

I start a New Campaign, Save the game to a new file (so that I know the file name) and it is then found in some new folder path. Auto saves are found in yet another folder.

Every time Config and Game Save files are created they go into a different folder.

"E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client\<varied folder name>\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord"

I have uninstalled three times now, cleared my computer of all temporary files and even uninstalled Steam once. I have uploaded the zipped version of the default file save folders; that do not get used after install.

The <varied folder name> folders cannot be compressed using win 10, due to the characters used.

Is there a file that stores the different folder locations used?

Can you confirm what the folder structure should be after a normal install to the location used by Steam Install?

Checking files using Steam Verify, checks only 2 files not the whole installation. Each time the result says these two files are correct.

Tried re-installing using a different Steam server, with same issue.

I have loaded a DxDiag report.

MS has patched some security flaws, including a zero day reported by Google.

I have seen another post that has save game issues. Probably more to come.

I think I have worked out what HAS caused this problem.

Steam is not installing the game correctly, or the install is incomplete. As stated above I have tried removing Steam completely.

Uploaded document with image of my install with dll files still in the Win64_Shipping_Client folder.

This is a "clean install" per: Need More Info - Can't get Vortex nor Steam to launch game | TaleWorlds Forums
which has a "Spoiler" with what the folder structure should look like.

A Steam support person has tested the install and found they do not have this problem on their PC. They believe it is not a Steam issue.
They advised their dll files installed in the Win64ShippingClient folder.

I have done a clean install of M&BII Bannerlord,

Prior to launching the game, I identified only two folders within the Win64ShippingClient ( BattlEye and Mono ).

After launching the game, other folders (with names that look like Asian language characters started to appear).

I choose Single Player, set the graphics sliders and clicked Saved Games. The Saved Games list was empty. I exited back to the main menu, then copied a previous game save file into all Bannerlord "Game Saves" folders found (including one created under one of the asian character folders). Opened menu item Saved Games again, the list was still empty.

I have added a new screen shot of this Asian character folder structure that appeared after the game was launched.

Steam has been updated to latest patch.

Bannerlord has been updated to e1.5.5 Main (still unmodded).

Problem with game not finding Save files (and all other config files) still exists. IE every time a new game or config file is saved, it creates a new bad folder structure that is not used.

1. Downloaded Main e1.5.7 patch, no change. Problem with game not finding Save files (and all other config files) still exists.

2. Today Steam released an update that "fixed issues" related to "save file locations".

3. Waited for downloaded of update Beta e1.5.8 <not relevant, I am playing the Main version>

4. Run game: Main e1.5.7 choose Single Player. Select Game Saves from Menu: I can now see files found in my Game Saves folder.

Back
Top Bottom