SP - Battles & Sieges Simulated battles outweigh the need to play them yourself? WHY?

Users who are viewing this thread

One more thing to consider is that a lot of top tier units have broken stats so they may die in autocalc cause of the low stat they shouldn't have.

This isn't the case. The calculation only uses level. Top tier units have correct levels. Broken stats and broken equipsets will affect units in regular combat but not in autocalc.

The bigger reason that top tier units die more easily is because it doesn't take into consideration things like the armor they're wearing, range, etc. In actual combat, top tier units might be one-shotting opponents with javelins, shooting them with bows, running them down on horseback, while taking significantly less damage because of their high armor.

In autocalculated combat they swing and deal a damage range based entirely on their level, and the level 11 bandit swings back and deals damage too. If enough bandits hit them, (and they never miss), they will down the tier 6 unit.

In actual combat a group of elite longbowmen will mow down a smaller group of pikemen infantry before they even get next to them. In an autocalculated battle they will exchange blows.

I agree I use auto-resolve in sieges cuz it doesn't seem to take into account that its a siege and the battle is won fairly easily
Actually, one of the things that autoresolving battles does take into consideration is a siege. It calculates which side has advantage, and for a siege the defender gets an advantage because it's a settlement or castle, based on the wall level, the number and type of siege engines the attacker has, and whether the walls are down. Even fighting in a village gives the defender an advantage.

This advantage is just a straight multiplier to the damage that the defender does. So in a village for instance, the defenders will deal 125% normal damage. In a settlement they do 3+ times as much damage, minus a number of things related to how many of whatever types of siege weapon you have and if the walls are down.

Live battles need to award more XP. It's like they're punishing players for playing the best part of the game, by making auto-resolve optimal for grinding.

I actually think the crux of the issue isn't the XP amount, but the distribution. In live battles, XP is awarded to the Unit on kill only. So you can kind of get decent (But not time efficient) XP in live combat with looters, only if you plan on grinding a single unit class at a time.

But Auto-resolve also doesn't have the morale problem, where once you kill like 5 looters, the other 30 flee and rob you of more unit XP.

This isn't the case. The calculation only uses level. Top tier units have correct levels. Broken stats and broken equipsets will affect units in regular combat but not in autocalc.

The bigger reason that top tier units die more easily is because it doesn't take into consideration things like the armor they're wearing, range, etc. In actual combat, top tier units might be one-shotting opponents with javelins, shooting them with bows, running them down on horseback, while taking significantly less damage because of their high armor.

In autocalculated combat they swing and deal a damage range based entirely on their level, and the level 11 bandit swings back and deals damage too. If enough bandits hit them, (and they never miss), they will down the tier 6 unit.

In actual combat a group of elite longbowmen will mow down a smaller group of pikemen infantry before they even get next to them. In an autocalculated battle they will exchange blows.

Are You sure that in field autocalc only tier is a factor?

If that's true then this system is really weak and should cause easy wins with top tier only armies. But it's not. If you for example put a field autocalc battle between same number of top tier archers and top tier melee then the outcome should be close to draw. Is there code for autocalc available anywhere?

You're completely wrong.

Simulated battles don't give XP arbitrarily to your troops. Simulated battles simulate hits from one side against targets on the other side. You gain EXP per hit similarly to normal combat. The difference is that it doesn't actually know anything about your weapon or armor, it uses your level instead for the damage calculation, it doesn't give a shot difficulty bonus or a speed bonus, and it gives 8 times as much experience as if you had hit for that much damage against a player in regular combat.

Troops get XP for hits, and bonus XP if it's a killing blow, in the same fashion that heroes get weapon xp.

Well, maybe you're not completely wrong, the whole XP and leveling system is a bit of a mess.

There are some things that people can know about autoresolved battles. One thing is that it tends to start from the top of your roster and work its way down. If you want characters to get experience, put them at the top, if you want characters to have a first strike, put them at the top. This mostly matters when sides have a similar number of troops, or if you as an attacker outnumber the enemy. If you have all of your top tier troops at the top of the army and your recruits at the bottom, you will probably suffer few losses against a smaller bandit force, but your recruits will get less XP. This order also matters for the defender.

I tend to like to keep my party ordered in descending power, but when I'm doing map battles I move my recruits nearer the top, and when I'm doing hideouts I move them to the bottom. When a battle isn't decided on the first strikes everyone tends to get a reasonable amount of experience.

I basically autoresolve 90% of my battles, I play them out only if I'm liable to lose by autoresolving. You tend to lose more troops with autoresolving. In a real battle a low level horse archer will kill a high level spearman just because the horse archer can stay at range and shoot the spearman when he can't catch up or reach him. In an autoresolved battle, the high level spearman will kill the horse archer because they will just essentially swing at eachother and the high level troop will deal high damage to the low level horse archer, and the low level horse archer will deal low damage to the spearman. It won't care about relative speed, range, shields, whatever. Just level.

I actually don't mind it so much. It would be better if the model was closer to gameplay results. In reality you kind of play 2 games, one is the simpler map mode autoresolve, the other is the more complex battlefield game. If I'm playing caravan games I'm more interested in trade prices than manually fighting bandits, especially when my hero has no combat skills.

The model can be improved, EXP has a lot more problems than just the autoresolve experience. Like lots of things in the game, the fundamentals are OK, but the numbers and formulas need to be tweaked. The fact that you need 10 million experience to reach the last perk level when you get it hundreds at a time for instance is an issue. Or that you need 1.7 million experience to reach the same skill level as your troops. Similarly, how your player can't get experience from autoresolution but your troops level super fast.

Like in my current game I'm playing a trader and the only time I'm playing out battles is in hideouts, which means that I'm basically leveling up only shielded infantry because so many hideouts have javelins and bows. This doesn't matter in the open world though because archers and cavalry have no particular advantage when you're autoresolving. Similarly, I never advance units to cavalry because this consumes a horse that I don't get back when a unit dies. However, if I have infantry with a horse in my inventory for movement on the map, if my infantry dies I don't lose the horse. Again, it doesn't matter in the actual battle whether I have cavalry or infantry, if their level is the same, they'll be equally effective.
How do you know all this? Were you on the development team or something? Did you leave it in anger because of creative differences? Are you sitting in a dark room somewhere smoking a cigarette, by any chance? Battle scars on your face from all those arguments with the other devs...

Why though - if you manual you will suffer significantly less deaths...

In my experience - any additional xp you get from auto-resolve is completely outweighed by the units that die...

As has been stated several times in the thread, when you auto resolve versus Looters no units die.

As has been stated several times in the thread, when you auto resolve versus Looters no units die.
Yes, looters - that army you fight towards the start of the game and then can basically ignore after that. It's not even remotely efficient to go around fighting 20 - 60man looter armies and autoresolving them once you get yourself a decent army.

I never simulate any battles. I command the troops by myself and win even the outnumbered battles pretty easily.

The simulation seems to be bugged, or not well programmed, since the outcome is always negatively influenced. Usually you have a higher death toll than in real time battles. Even skilling the simulated damage of your troops and raising their abilities in simulations, won't change the bad and negative outcome.

I can not recommend to simulate any kind of battle, even if the odds are in your favor, for example You: 100 Troops / Enemy: 10 Troops.
The outcome will always have wounds or death on your side. But not when you take control and participate in the battle.

It would be nice if the AI would be reworked and polished. The companions should become better strategists.

Also I would welcome a change in the battle system itself. How about letting the AI take control of a part of the army. Like I can chose my role when being in the rallied Party of another Chief / Lord. It would make more sense when the AI has a little more control and does really help me out.

Yes, it is nice to have 100% control over large sized armies, but I am fighting myself and it slowes me down, to reorder the actual position of troops, or telling them to flank from the outside.

I never simulate any battles. I command the troops by myself and win even the outnumbered battles pretty easily.

The simulation seems to be bugged, or not well programmed, since the outcome is always negatively influenced. Usually you have a higher death toll than in real time battles. Even skilling the simulated damage of your troops and raising their abilities in simulations, won't change the bad and negative outcome.

I can not recommend to simulate any kind of battle, even if the odds are in your favor, for example You: 100 Troops / Enemy: 10 Troops.
The outcome will always have wounds or death on your side. But not when you take control and participate in the battle.

It would be nice if the AI would be reworked and polished. The companions should become better strategists.

Also I would welcome a change in the battle system itself. How about letting the AI take control of a part of the army. Like I can chose my role when being in the rallied Party of another Chief / Lord. It would make more sense when the AI has a little more control and does really help me out.

Yes, it is nice to have 100% control over large sized armies, but I am fighting myself and it slowes me down, to reorder the actual position of troops, or telling them to flank from the outside.

You'll get over having that once some lord leads you into a battle and kills all your troops, lol. Ragnvad has wiped out my shield wall 3 times now.

I believe there is a command in the command interface to delegate command off to someone else.

I believe there is a command in the command interface to delegate command off to someone else.

It's F6 on the main commands. If you have no one selected it will delegate command to ALL your troops. If you have specific troops selected only those will be delegated. So you can have cav and archers be delegated while you order infantry.

Looks like they are changing this which sucks. I really, really don't want to have to spend hours training up replacements for my armies. Looks like I am going to have to find a mod to change it back.

They fixed it in the beta 1.1.0, now autoresolves gives far less exp than playing it yourself.
Also, units level easier when you actually fight. Like 10 recruits vs 9 looters, 6 of my recruits leveled at the end of the fight.
Autoresolve, only one did

Looks like they are changing this which sucks. I really, really don't want to have to spend hours training up replacements for my armies. Looks like I am going to have to find a mod to change it back.

You seriously played the game by going around pressing autoresolve?

Soldiers are also earning good amount of xp in battles too but the problem is they have to do damage in battles that low tier units are failing to do so compared to high tier units while in auto-battle everybody does damage for sure..

Soldiers are also earning good amount of xp in battles too but the problem is they have to do damage in battles that low tier units are failing to do so compared to high tier units while in auto-battle everybody does damage for sure..
In Warband I used Trainer skill a lot for that reason. In Bannerlord I think the equivalent perks aren't working correctly, like one unit at a time.

You can do the exact same thing without autoresolve, it's just then it entails waiting for the combat scene to load, ordering the charge and going to look at the trees for the five minutes it takes your guys to slaughter their way through the looters.
I was going to post EXACTLY the same thing. This is what I do to level infantry. If I want to level archers I just pull me, companions and infantry back and let the lads shoot looters.

Back
Top Bottom