B Tutorial 3D Simple texturing tutorial - Wings3D

Currently Viewing (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Buxton

Count
Best answers
Ok, simplest way to show how it's done;

I wanted to make a model of a railroad sign, first I made the model, just cubes of different sizes put together using the 'Combine' tool - You can easily UV map an object if it is one whole connected model, but I find it easier to combine it, as you won't have to UV map the joining, or bridging pieces.

I then made a texture using photos:

Then, I select the face I want to texture:

And click 'UV Mapping'

A newer, smaller window should appear, with just the faces you selected showing:

Select the face, click the line tool at the top. All lines of the face should now be selected, right-click and click 'Mark edges for cut'. Right-click again, and then select continue and then 'Projection Normal'.

This new window will appear:

Cross of that, then go to File>Import Image and find your texture picture, and click open.

Go to Window>outliner, and the outline window should appear. The image you imported, in my case 'ra.bmp' will be visible in the outliner.

Drag the image and drop it over 'Cube1_auv' and then select 'diffuse' Note: 'Cube1_auv' will the default name for the first object spawned in wings, you can rename them for ease of use, especially if you're making multi-mesh models.

Select the whole model using the body selction at the top, and click UV Mapping again; this should reapear, remember it?

Position and rotate it so it covers the part of the texture image you want it to show.

X off that and then it should appear like this:

And when it's finished it should look like this:

Note, you can do more than one face at a time, but remember to cut where you want the piece's edge to be.

:smile: Any questions? Post here, or PM me and I'll try and adress them

EDIT: Added more info.

Cali

Knight
Best answers
Simple, and great, Simply great  :smile:

Could I use your pictures since I made a Wings 3D tutorial on another forum?

Typos...

Buxton

Count
Best answers
Cali said:
Simple, and great, Simply great  :smile:

Could I use your pictures since im made a wings 3D tutorial on another forums?
Yeah sure.  :smile:

I'd be happy to upload the railroad sign model if it helps anyone.

Kharkhazad

Sergeant
Best answers
you are a legend and I want your babies

before this i thought i would have to get a load of adobe stuff to do textures

thank you!  :grin:

Soul_Raper

Recruit
Best answers
Thank you so much ^^ All that I have left to learn is...alot. So far I have made two swords, a katana and a two handed sword, noobish but I like them, gonna put them into M&B now, thanks again!

Best answers
I'm trying to retexture sections of existing models, but when I edit them and then open the .obj, it tells me the mesh has multiple materials. Why, and how do I simplify them again?

edit:  Well I got past that by remapping the whole thing. w00t. Now suppose I want to combine elements of two meshes into one... How do I make them behave as a single unit? Wings3d is treating them like two separate things and so not letting me remap both onto the same texture.

e2: I've been using the "weld" right-click command but something tells me that's not quite the thing since it sometimes leaves missing vertex faces in random spots.

omzdog

Grandmaster Knight
WB
Best answers
the 'combine' technique should group several shapes togethor to make a single object. Likewise, the 'seperate' will do the opposite.
I believe this is what you wanted.

Buxton

Count
Best answers
Kharkhazad said:
you are a legend and I want your babies

before this i thought i would have to get a load of adobe stuff to do textures

thank you!  :grin:
Heh, happy to help.

Sh0nex

Recruit
Best answers
Can anyone tell how to work with DDS files? I downloaded plugin for photoshop and I can open DDS but when I wan't to save it i get 300 different options and i thinks that neither of them works. So does anyone know any easy and good way to edit DDS files?

Lord Drake

Sergeant at Arms
WBNW
Best answers
This has helped a great deal but I have one problem.
I've used this method to texture the grip on a sword, but every time I try to texture the blade with a different texture, it changes the grip too? :neutral:

Is there a way to get it to stop doing that?

Lord Drake

Sergeant at Arms
WBNW
Best answers
archangel263 said:
what program did you use to make this model and where can i download???? i am a newb at modding PLS help :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
He used Wings 3D.
http://www.wings3d.com/

Buxton

Count
Best answers
Yeah, the version I used was an older one (about two years ago perhaps) so some features may be a little different. The idea is the same though, just have a go and work through the pain!