Signature campaign to remove the "mark all as read" button.

What's the best way to kill this horror?

• Remove it completely! Death to the inbox killer!

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Be reasonable and add a confirmation prompt.

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • Be stupidly specific and finicky and try to move it out of the way on the mobile/tablet version of t

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Delora Filth

Do you want to run this ship?
Marquis
I've done it myself,  and I keep seeing complaints from others who do the same. Unintentionally clicking the hated "Mark all as read" button, and completely ruining your forum existence for days, or even weeks on end.
On the other hand I NEVER see anyone arguing for the existence of this button. Ergo one must assume that if any, it's user base is microscopic at best. I feel it's time to do away with this useless and often downright destructive function. Put your name down if you feel the same. Or if you don't care either which way for that matter. At least you're not enabling it's existence through sheer non-committance.

I suggest repositioning it instead. I use it occasionally, because my replies function tends to get clogged up with tonnes of crap I can't be arsed to trawl through manually.

I've never had an issue with acidentally pressing it though. Mind i'm not the kind to use touch-screen devices.

I sometime use it to remove the "NEW" marker from sub-forums I don't read. Like the AAR/Let's Play one in Other Games or the Forum Games one.

Also what the racist Brit said. Repositioning (or a simple confirmation) would probably be the best solution.

I use it once in a thousand years to clear up threads I can't be bothered to read, like if I'm back from holiday or something. But it definitely, definitely needs a confirmation button.

Another thing that's annoying is the "new" buttons appearing at the end of the line rather than the beginning where they're all lined up and unobstructed by other hyperlinks, like in the actual board page. It's tiny and insanely hard to click on touchscreens even if I zoom in. I don't know why there's a difference between viewing thread lists in a board and viewing threads in the recent posts thing.

5 ninjas

Venerable F. Sheep said:
"Signature campaign to ban incompetent and fat-fingered users."
It's not about the fat fingers, I somehow managed to push that button multiple times even when it was offscreen (I blame Android). But seeing that there are people who actually use it, I support that confirmation button idea. Also, I have a serious case of déja vu.

Maybe we should have a poll. Remove/Move/Do nothing and hope the human race evolves to not have chubby fingers for the touch-screen age.

Fookin' ninja's.

jacobhinds said:
I use it once in a thousand years to clear up threads I can't be bothered to read, like if I'm back from holiday or something. But it definitely, definitely needs a confirmation button.
This.

jacobhinds said:
Another thing that's annoying is the "new" buttons appearing at the end of the line rather than the beginning where they're all lined up and unobstructed by other hyperlinks, like in the actual board page. It's tiny and insanely hard to click on touchscreens even if I zoom in. I don't know why there's a difference between viewing thread lists in a board and viewing threads in the recent posts thing.
Isn't this dependent on forum theme?

Is this a yearly thing now? :razz:

Teofish said:
On the other hand I NEVER see anyone arguing for the existence of this button.
Might be 'cause the people who like it haven't felt like creating a topic to rabble on about why the button is important. :razz:

My offer in the other thread still stands. Should even be able to give the users a switch so they can decide if they want it removed or just behind a confirmation dialog.
Though that doesn't do a thing for mobile users, don't think there're any mobile browsers which can run userscripts. Apart from the half-arsed greasemonkey browser or something.

Edit:
Just had a look at it, it would be a very simple, easy, quick fix in the theme files. Though I don't know which file it'd be in.

All you'd need to do is add a bit to this line:
Code:
<a href="..." class="button_strip_markread"<span class="last">Mark Read</span></a>
Like so:
Code:
<a href="..." class="button_strip_markread" onclick="return confirm('Are you sure?');"><span class="last">Mark Read</span></a>

Back
Top Bottom