Sieges got worst?

Users who are viewing this thread

isamurai

Recruit
So I've once more given a chance at the game after the new patch and everything was okay and all until i did a siege battle.
Is it just me or the AI seems more confused than ever?

My soldiers just running around when they climbed over the walls until they got killed.

The archers in front of the castle just walking around getting arrowed to death.

Soldiers in siege towers not really managing the ladder ( this one is not new tough)

battering ram soldiers just airwalking into the gatehouse instead of fighting once the gate was breached.

I'm a bit confused as to how can they make this go the wrong way. I dont want to speak for everyone but I think fixing siege battles should come before stuff like "Decorated Thick Tunic". Dont get me wrong its nice but its not critical to the enjoyment of the game ... sieges on the other hand...

They got a dude (or dudette) that knows how to model a "Decorated Thick Tunic", they don't got one available to fix siege stuff. They say they're working on it but who knows what that means. Like does a dev open up the game and watch a siege for 8 hours, shake his head and then punch out and go home?
What is the work? How does non of it translate into game changes update after update? Maybe they're working on a bigger revamp or something..... however I wish they would just put in a temp fix anyways to pacify their current players.

I don't care, I just retreat the party and kill the whole town myself.

Can't say I've noticed that siege AI recently got worse. I'll be honest though, I've kinda become desensitized to the current state of sieges after sinking X amount of hours in.

Either way, yeah sieges in their current state make for a very frustrating experience and are long overdue some serious attention. Something tells me that to get sieges anywhere near fluid, enjoyable and immersive will be a long drawn out process, considering the whole unique scenes thing they have planned, right?

In 1.5.9, attackers cannot break the inner gate after the outer gate is broken by the ram. The guys that are supposed to do that mostly run to the ladders instead of gate, sometimes they confusedly run there and back again, only once some of them die (either by arrows or once they accidentally climb the ladder to the ramparts) will someone else be asigned to the job and maybe hack the gate to pieces. We managed to fix it on most of the maps (it took Marnah few hours but its kinda fixable even without access to the actual map and engine). Question is how did they manage to break the game between 1.5.8 (I think this was not hapenning in 1.5.8 ) and 1.5.9 so much.

In 1.5.9, attackers cannot break the inner gate after the outer gate is broken by the ram. The guys that are supposed to do that mostly run to the ladders instead of gate, sometimes they confusedly run there and back again, only once some of them die (either by arrows or once they accidentally climb the ladder to the ramparts) will someone else be asigned to the job and maybe hack the gate to pieces. We managed to fix it on most of the maps (it took Marnah few hours but its kinda fixable even without access to the actual map and engine). Question is how did they manage to break the game between 1.5.8 (I think this was not hapenning in 1.5.8 ) and 1.5.9 so much.

Some siege battle scenes are broken. In my current campaign spanning 1.5.8 and 1.5.9 I have found that the battering ram crew has about a 50% chance of breaking down the inner gate. The other half of the time I needed to do it myself.

Some sieges have terrible archer placement, where the archers all stand around in large clumps.

I think some of these battle scenes were rushed together for the early access release. Someone at Taleworlds needs to go back and revise all of the sieges that fail to work correctly.

Like does a dev open up the game and watch a siege for 8 hours, shake his head and then punch out and go home?
What is the work? How does non of it translate into game changes update after update? Maybe they're working on a bigger revamp or something..... however I wish they would just put in a temp fix anyways to pacify their current players.
Even if they don't do this, they probably should, and then make a video of the intern watching the sieges in horror.

I could imagine a more realistic scenario: maybe they scraped together the siege scenes just for the EA, while pledging they would need to rework them from scratch. A really bad move.
This is why many poor features are not fixed since the EA. They wait for someone to start the revamp of siege scenes and the siege battle code, while rationalizing it's a waste of time to fix the old sieges, since everything will be replaced anyway. So they are twiddling their thumbs instead, watching silly fan videos about making babies.
Meanwhile the one who is supposed to start the chain of actual work, is probably the busiest person there with other priorities. Like Armagan for smithing. Or whoever for banners and their unknown prerequisite.
At least this explains why things don't get done - most of the people are waiting for someone else, and that someone else is too important to be told to get on with it.

I think some of these battle scenes were rushed together for the early access release. Someone at Taleworlds needs to go back and revise all of the sieges that fail to work correctly.
doesn't everyone think this? the real question is why dont the devs think this?

why on earth are they not removing the castles/cities seiges that dont work and put a generic one that DOES work until they can actually address the issue?

doesn't everyone think this? the real question is why dont the devs think this?

why on earth are they not removing the castles/cities seiges that dont work and put a generic one that DOES work until they can actually address the issue?
Player fun is not their priority in EA. If they have a deliberate plan to address some issue they'll stick to it rather than providing a quick fix.
I know, it's not very nice, but that's exactly how they think and prioritize their tasks. (And it's wrong IMO.)

Back
Top Bottom