Sieges dosent work

Users who are viewing this thread

DennyWiseau

Veteran
1+ year of patches has not been able to make any significant improvements and the game is supposed to release in less than 5 month, pretty disheartning forecast of the future.

The fact that TW released the game with sieges being utterly broken from the beginning suggest that they were confident they would be able to fix it, they havent however, so maybe a(nother) delay of the release is on the way?

Likely to delay, but the developers have actually been relatively active recently and responding to threads. They say they are working on it.

I understand though, I personally find Sieges frustrating to watch at the moment. AI staring at the inner gate instead of attacking it, inability of AI climbing up Siege towers, AI on rails and generally unresponsive to what is happening during the Siege, large blobs standing on the walls, large blobs standing at the base of ladders/towers, attacking AI archers standing in fat blobs instead of spacing out and getting pwned by enemy siege weapons, no inner city fighting, no fight in the lords chambers/castle, archers just standing on the fortifications and not firing. Pretty barebones and very disappointing.

Likely to delay, but the developers have actually been relatively active recently and responding to threads. They say they are working on it.

I understand though, I personally find Sieges frustrating to watch at the moment. AI staring at the inner gate instead of attacking it, inability of AI climbing up Siege towers, AI on rails and generally unresponsive to what is happening during the Siege, large blobs standing on the walls, large blobs standing at the base of ladders/towers, attacking AI archers standing in fat blobs instead of spacing out and getting pwned by enemy siege weapons, no inner city fighting, no fight in the lords chambers/castle, archers just standing on the fortifications and not firing. Pretty barebones and very disappointing.
I know say they are working on it but tbf they have said that for over a year.

The fact that it is so barebones is also very frustating, unfortunately they are likely allocating all their time to just fixing sieges without having time to improve them before release.

I thought that they were suppose to be improved in 1.6.1.
It improved slightly. Still... it is very frustrating to not, at least, have a temporary workaround.
If I may I will throw a conspiracy into the wild.
Taleworlds is holding the fix for as long as they can so that they keep the fans interacting and hyping the game to be fixed. They will, eventually, drop an insane amount of content and the sales will boom.

It improved slightly. Still... it is very frustrating to not, at least, have a temporary workaround.
Taleworlds is holding the fix for as long as they can so that they keep the fans interacting and hyping the game to be fixed. They will, eventually, drop an insane amount of content and the sales will boom.

Based on what evidence? (I'm not being argumentative, I'm genuinely interested).

I personally believe that management is simply unorganised and the updates what we see are exactly where they are at with development. Its strikes me that they are constantly firefighting with no particular long term planning or forethought.
I mean this is based on comments from 'Glassdoor', which should always be taken with a pinch of salt. But from my experience, this makes complete sense - your typical corporate company is rife with inner politics, ambitious tw*ts (that care nothing for the product, only themselves), inner cycles, arse-kissing, mis-management, micro-management et cetera et f**king cetera. Its why I personally give a wide berth to corporations and prefer to go freelance.

Why would TW hold something like this back just for fan interaction, when they are so resistant to interact with fans? I get that many people are trying to stay positive but this is grasping at straws.

To believe this conspiracy I would have to drink used motor oil and then massage my skull with a sledgehammer.
Just remember how they told us what a big deal barber shops were and how the community actually wants stuff like that?
If they really had gamechanging improvements on hand they would probably tell us that in an instant and sell the patch as Mount and Blade 3 "The game to end all games".

I've played a good dozen sieges on the new patch and they have worked very well...at worst sometimes soldiers only used two siege ladders instead of all three.

I really think people should test this... just jump onto a custom battle if you want to save time. Do you have any evidence showing them still not working...?

I've played a good dozen sieges on the new patch and they have worked very well...at worst sometimes soldiers only used two siege ladders instead of all three.

I really think people should test this... just jump onto a custom battle if you want to save time. Do you have any evidence showing them still not working...?

You just showed us evidence that its not working very well. Massive blob of troops at the base of the siege tower, only a few on the right and middle ladder....most of the troops aren't on the ladder.....how is this working very well?
Are there still fat blobs of AI on the wall? Blobs of attacking archers all bunched up getting pwned by enemy siege weapons? AI defending archers not firing at all? When the attacking AI get through the first gate, are they still staring at the inner gate instead of attacking it?

You showed a vid with a quick flash of siege, tried to make a point but kind of scored an own goal - are Taleworlds paying you?

You just showed us evidence that its not working very well. Massive blob of troops at the base of the siege tower, only a few on the right and middle ladder....most of the troops aren't on the ladder.....how is this working very well?
Are there still fat blobs of AI on the wall? Blobs of attacking archers all bunched up getting pwned by enemy siege weapons? AI defending archers not firing at all? When the attacking AI get through the first gate, are they still staring at the inner gate instead of attacking it?

You showed a vid with a quick flash of siege, tried to make a point but kind of scored an own goal - are Taleworlds paying you?
Jesus chill out.

What gold standard do they need to achieve exactly for you. What game is your perfect example of flawless a.i. at all times?

A.i will never be perfect - certainly warbands was far from it. And I could name another 5 medieval games made by bigger developers with their own A.I issues.

I feel like you need to actually test it yourself rather then peddle needless anger. Spartacus shows a balanced view - and he admits the issues; but also calls ot fixed.

A.i will never be perfect - certainly warbands was far from it. And I could name another 5 medieval games made by bigger developers with their own A.I issues.
We are not talking about a perfect AI but about a working AI. And I could name another 5 games made by smaller developers with their own working AI.

Jesus chill out.

What gold standard do they need to achieve exactly for you. What game is your perfect example of flawless a.i. at all times?

I feel like you need to actually test it yourself rather then peddle needless anger. Spartacus shows a balanced view - and he admits the issues; but also calls ot fixed.
looks like intented design for me

If you guys are happy with where siege is currently at, I'm happy for you. Personally I have higher expectations. I wouldn't call the current iteration of siege gold standard, there are elements that barely work and generally make it frustrating to play (also considering that sieges are are a large % of the gameplay).
I think you should go back and try siege again and review your opinion before you peddle needless praise on Taleworlds for the state that siege is in after 1.5 years.

And if large blobs of AI on the wall, at the base of the siege towers (that they barely climb up), large blobs of archers getting pwned by siege weapons are intended design, perhaps we should be very worried.

Oh yeah...Jesus chill out.

If you guys are happy with where siege is currently at, I'm happy for you. Personally I have higher expectations. I wouldn't call the current iteration of siege gold standard, there are elements that barely work and generally make it frustrating to play (also considering that sieges are are a large % of the gameplay).
I think you should go back and try siege again and review your opinion before you peddle needless praise on Taleworlds for the state that siege is in after 1.5 years.

And if large blobs of AI on the wall, at the base of the siege towers (that they barely climb up), large blobs of archers getting pwned by siege weapons are intended design, perhaps we should be very worried.

Oh yeah...Jesus chill out.
I think it's functional, enjoyable and they are still working on it. I also think we are in EA and until bannerlord is released; nothing is finished.

That's all. I don't want to argue with you; I just think we forgave Warband for a lot more then we are willing to forgive Bannerlord.

Look guys, the devs have said that fixing sieges is a process.

They have fixed some of the ladder problems but they know there is a lot more to do. Is it sub-par and mediocre at the moment? Yes. But at least we have seen improvements recently (1.6.1).

Of all the things to rage and get angry at TW about... I think this is honestly one of the lesser things. I am more concerned with one-dimensional diplomacy and the total lack of deeper roleplaying features.

The main problem I have with this game right now is its half baked, it has essential elements that are not working correctly. If the towers don't work - remove them until they are fixed, if attacking archers blob up outside the walls and are easy pickings for siege weapons - include them with the inf and cav scaling the walls until its fixed.
If this is still happening;

Then revert back to the Warband siege mechanics until AI aren't stupid.
Gameplay elements that are added to this game that are half-baked (or wern't clearly tested before patching in - (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/fiefs-income-nerfed-in-1-6-1-why.445412/), only leads me to believe that we are beta testers.
For me, in the best sense, early access should be few working components of gameplay - not a myriad of half-baked elements jammed in for us to test for the developers.

Based on what evidence?
Why would TW hold something like this back just for fan interaction, when they are so resistant to interact with fans? I get that many people are trying to stay positive but this is grasping at straws.
To believe this conspiracy I would have to drink used motor oil and then massage my skull with a sledgehammer.
That conspiracy would be the best case scenario... maybe just maybe... I hope.. it's truue.

But seriously tho, the idea that there is a plan to delay some fixes and features to keep the community engaged and to latter regain interest in the game doesn't seem far fetched.

What I see happening now is that the community is always interested in the upcoming to patch because people are hopping for the fixes and some new content that looks promising.

What could happen is that, if devs changed priorities and made fixes to sieges and to other features so that they "kinda work", you would still be left with many underlying issues that remain unsolved like performance, QoL improvements, bugs, AI, etc. I think that this would create a situation where you wouldn't have a lot of "new content" in the following patches and people would complain and loose interest.

b56232aebe9b9f21e134d0abf88a2c1d.gif

That conspiracy would be the best case scenario... maybe just maybe... I hope.. it's truue.

But seriously tho, the idea that there is a plan to delay some fixes and features to keep the community engaged and to latter regain interest in the game doesn't seem far fetched.

What I see happening now is that the community is always interested in the upcoming to patch because people are hopping for the fixes and some new content that looks promising.

What could happen is that, if devs changed priorities and made fixes to sieges and to other features so that they "kinda work", you would still be left with many underlying issues that remain unsolved like performance, QoL improvements, bugs, AI, etc. I think that this would create a situation where you wouldn't have a lot of "new content" in the following patches and people would complain and loose interest.

Na, they are just too disorganised (and I suspect mismanaged) for that, I get the feeling that they walk around and see if they have enough content for a patch and crammed whatever they can together. Its pretty clear this is the case, as the stuff that comes out in the patch hasn't been tested. Alot of the things that do come out of a patch isn't even considered priority by the community either, which leads me to believe that the Taleworlds devs are running around like headless chickens.
Luckily though, we have some developers that are present on the forums giving us the heads up on what they're working on - which I appreciate.

For now just use RBM, it makes sieges work pretty decently, they actually removed siege towers altogether, because they don't work, but the ladders work well enough, a ram + ladders attack always work pretty good for me, the AI will wait till the gate is breached before they storm the walls.

I even get to defend sieges from time to time.

You can use just the AI module from RBM if you don't want the changes to troops, armor and stuff

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom