MP Siege

Users who are viewing this thread

Experience the brutality of medieval sieges as either a defending or attacking force in this large-scale PvP game mode. Use an array of siege engine to drive back the enemy forces or to gain a foothold within the bailey as you attempt to defend or capture the castle keep.

Players:
60 vs 60
Avg. Playtime:
20 minutes
Rounds:
Best of 1
Round Time:
30 minutes
Objectives:
Attackers hold the keep flag for 90 seconds before morale or time runs out. Capturing flags will increase morale. Defenders defend the castle until enemy morale runs out.
Troops:
Spawn with better troops by using gold depending on the success at the siege.

Please leave all feedback relating to the Siege game mode in this thread.

Siege servers crash over half the time before the round ends, and we are forced to use matchmaking to play it which has ridiculous wait times while the Oceanic servers have dedicated siege servers, so its obviously available.
Trying to get into a Siege with a group results in at least 1 of the party members losing connection on start EVERYTIME. Then we just go back and sit in the matchmaking lobby again for 5-15 minutes because...THERE ARE NO NA/EU SIEGE SERVERS TO JOIN IN THE SERVER LIST.

I dislike the cycle of being punted back to the menu for matchmaking. I'm used to joining a server and rotating through maps till I'm done. Sometimes I want to play siege but after a few minutes of waiting at the menu just go into TDM because I want to play right away. This may be infeasible before custom servers, so maybe consider 2 games where you rotate sides from attack / defense. On the other hand I wouldn't mind being able to just join and choose a side as long as there is autobalancing to back that up.

For the rules I haven't played enough rounds to have much feedback yet, just making sure there is a good emphasis on pointing out to the players where they need to be and what is happening.

I see a lot of Aserai and Empire in Siege and on mostly the same map. Also, I've had a large stint as attacking for 7-8 games in a row. I know some people like it, but I'd like to be defender every once in awhile.

Friendly fire should be on. People have bad habits they're spamming around brainlessly just to get the kills without thinking about their allies.

Siege is an awful lot of fun, thank you for that!
The scale, the different objectives, the different kinds of approaching the castles, it all works.

Having said that, there are a couple of thing worth looking at in my opinion.

- Matches sometimes end very early on because there is a single person sneaking past all of the defenders and captures point “G”. By the time the defenders hear the bell, it’s pretty much too late to do anything.
Winning in such a cheesy way is not what I think you devs have envisioned for the mode. An argument could be made to keep this feature as a means of winning because the defenders should leave a couple of troops behind at the last and most important flag. But in public servers there is no way this is going to happen I don’t think.
One way to solve this would be to “lock” the last point so that it cannot be captured until only 2 (?) other points are left to be captured.
How does that sound?

- the health of siege towers and battering rams seems a bit low. If the defenders have any real idea how to deal with them, they will both be taken out before they reach the walls. Ofcourse, they shouldn’t always be able to reach the walls, but I think the could use a boost in hp.

- Siege towers in particular have another weakness, the uncovered back side. In the current maps, the siege tower always “lands” on places on walls where their backside is still completely exposed to the defending archers. One decent archer can shoot down a great many attackers attempting to climb the ladders. So much so, that going for the siege tower is never really the best option. Which is a shame, because I think they are the coolest thing ever.
Another light nuisance about them is that defenders often stand on top of them and hack away at the tower itself from on top of the platform. This seems like too safe of a position to disrupt the attackers from, therefore a bit OP if you can call it that.

- A big one, cavalry.
They are literally everywhere around the attackers spawn and it is horrendous. They shouldn’t have such a big role in sieges, especially not when all they do is spawn Kill.
In turn, they also get abused by the attackers once only the last point is left. All they do is continually crash their horses into the last Point and it’s defenders to make sure they don’t stand a chance. Not a fun way of playing in my opinion and not how I think you hoped sieges would play out.
I am not pleading for a complete removal of cavalry in sieges, but I strongly suggest limiting the amount of players picking cavalry. How does 10% of the number of players in a given team sound?
A pop-up message saying too many players are playing as cav atm would do I think. Once a cav player dies, it will become selectable again.

Any thoughts?

The defenders need a limit ammount of respawns. That will force the most people to stay inside the Castle and not charging out permanently. Why staying inside, when they have unlimited spawns. This is the biggest issue i think.

At the moment its TDM with a Castle and Flags.

EDIT: Also a rised spawn timer for the attackers can help to prevent a too quick los. While the defenders would have limited ammount of lives.

Last edited:
From the series of why some perks are useless in some gamemodes. We need separate sets of perks in different gamemodes, as others have stated several times:

The defenders need a limit ammount of respawns. That will force the most people to stay inside the Castle and not charging out permanently. Why staying inside, when they have unlimited spawns. This is the biggest issue i think.

At the moment its TDM with a Castle and Flags.

EDIT: Also a rised spawn timer for the attackers can help to prevent a too quick los. While the defenders would have limited ammount of lives.
great idea!

Hello! I am having such a great time playing Captain mode with my friends!. I have a medium power rig and good fibreoptic. The game has a steady frame rate on High and very little lag.

Siege we found chaotic and disappointing. Would you consider adding a Captain/Siege mode where players could order their troops around like Captain mode but in a Siege setting with all the machinery and assymetric gameplay that entails?

A) Let us have a bigger party for siege, 12 should suffice as a decent size without obnoxiously stacking the server with one clan
B) Turn on friendly fire so that the absolute ****show of a moshpit that happens when the gates open isn't a thing anymore
C) Make it faster to climb ladders
D) Replenish stone stockpiles at intervals
E) After the round is finished switch the teams around, so if it's Empire vs Khuzait defending, switch them around so Khuzait is attacking Empire, this way people aren't stuck just defending/attacking.

Please add a dedicated server for siege in East Asia. I cannot find siege games via quick play in East Asia at all.

Rather add siege servers to every continent. Players in Europe and probably in the rest of the world with the exception of Oceania are annoyed they have to redo searches for siege servers every time a match is won or lost. It's especially annoying for clans, groups of friends or regiments being separated into several groups who luckily got into the same server and maybe team, only to be required to try their luck again.

Back
Top Bottom