Siege retreat - dead realism

Users who are viewing this thread

What can of idiotic answer is "let's not fix exploit, just ask people to not use them" ?
The same kind of way of thinking that exploits are there to be used...
Though I understand that some people enjoy playing games by just abusing any existing glitches, bugs and exploits...
It is a sandbox game after all... it is up to you how you want to enjoy your playtime...

It's an exploit; in games of this scale there were always bound to be some. Just look at Total War and all the issues that has....
True, like the whole thing about blood and gore in a Total War game being sold as DLC ultimately to make more money on top of already charging 59.99. At least TW over here doesn't take out basic features and sell them as DL-... Hmm..

I use this constantly with horse archers in an open field.
*Crassus Intensifies*
Unfortunately it's the limitations of the game.
The 2000 unit hard limit is annoying, especially that it counts horses. I have not crashed at 1500 in awhile, luckily CEK does reduce Khergit cavalry spam a bit which previously made some of the wheels fall off.
One easy way you can fix the exploit yourself is by simply not using it... I know, crazy right?

The amount of things that I have to pretend that do not exist with this game is ever growing. I often imagine my companions going "sir, if we did this we would cut our losses in half..."

PeacefulLeadingGartersnake-size_restricted.gif

They are though. An exploit is just an unintended mechanic, and most players use them constantly without even realising. You just have to decide whether it makes it more fun or not, but even then it's on the developer's end that this needs to be addressed.

Sid Meiers (or someone) once said that players will optimise all the fun out of a game if you give them the chance, so you have to avoid giving them that chance.

Though I understand that some people enjoy playing games by just abusing any existing glitches, bugs and exploits...
It is a sandbox game after all... it is up to you how you want to enjoy your playtime...
IMHO sandbox have to follows the certain rules for a deeper immersion in the Middle Ages.
In the same way you can add alien, dragons or imperial stormtroopers just cause it's a sandbox

IMHO sandbox have to follows the certain rules for a deeper immersion in the Middle Ages.
In the same way you can add alien, dragons or imperial stormtroopers just cause it's a sandbox
Everyone uses the term "sandbox" (do whatever you want) but they really mean "open world" (go wherever you want).

Do you think it is normal for a player to retreat an infinite number of times while defending a castle?
I simulated a situation where I with 100 archers pushed back 1.5k army, just shooting while they approached the walls, and then retreated and did it again and again until victory! From my point is total abuse and it making dead the defence gameplay.
Welcome to the club!

This has been an issue since forever, not only for sieges, but also for open battles. The next step when you get significantly bored and have nothing else to do with your life is defending a whole castle on your own using the same tactic. Kill all their ranged units, leave the walls, hit 4-5ish dudes in a formation while they just take your hits, watch the entire formation break and run. Bask in the glory of M&B AI! Worth every penny

On a side note, they fixed javelin prices a year after launch (although bows are still overpriced and smithing is as bad as ever). There's hope for sieges too, I suppose?

Bows seem to be priced in line with their effectiveness.
not really. There's an unexplainable gap between 15k bows and slightly better 262k bows, while top tier bows also cost 200ish thousand denars

not to mention bows aren't nearly as effective as melee weapons, which cost a lot less. They raised polearm prices because they are monstrous and they still cost less than half a top tier bow's price

not really. There's an unexplainable gap between 15k bows and slightly better 262k bows, while top tier bows also cost 200ish thousand denars
Pic taken without the price markup, so it is 262k for the noble bow, but there is a regular progression there:
Y4QOHgu.png

As for relative effectiveness, bows kill people armed with melee weapons with zero risk.

What can of idiotic answer is "let's not fix exploit, just ask people to not use them" ?
If fixing the exploit that can be effortlessly avoided takes away time they could use on fixing something that you can't just avoid, then I don't know which stance is the idiotic one...
Also, since this is a singleplayer issue, the only person affected by your use of this exploit is you, not anyone else. I believe it is perfectly reasonable to tell you to not abuse it if it bothers you. Unless you are the weak-willed and small-minded kind of person that just can't help themselves ruin their own fun and enjoyment...

While I agree that this should be "fixed" in some way he still has a point. Would be different if this wasn´t a singleplayer game.

But nobody forces you to do this stuff, I´ve never done it myself because it just feels wrong. Also this can´t happen by mistake.

Like the same as in Warband, were you could place your few troops in one of the corners and 99% of the enemy cav will just leave the battlefield when they try to attack your troops.

They are though. An exploit is just an unintended mechanic, and most players use them constantly without even realising. You just have to decide whether it makes it more fun or not, but even then it's on the developer's end that this needs to be addressed.

Sid Meiers (or someone) once said that players will optimise all the fun out of a game if you give them the chance, so you have to avoid giving them that chance.
I agree. I can't really remember which game but some exploits even turned out to become a feature.
But OP is speaking about something that annoy him while he could easily not do it.
What about the possibility to save scum... Or even the console command...
It is your decision to use and abuse of them... And I think you can't blame the devs if in the end it just makes the game challengeless...
I personally never retreat, save scum or whatever. I accept to loose a fight, my troops, my gold and my freedom ?‍♂️

I agree. I can't really remember which game but some exploits even turned out to become a feature.
But OP is speaking about something that annoy him while he could easily not do it.
It is your decision to use and abuse of them... And I think you can't blame the devs if in the end it just makes the game challengeless...
I personally never retreat, save scum or whatever. I accept to loose a fight, my troops, my gold and my freedom ?‍♂️
Save scumming is my weakness, I'm glad that they put in ironman mode so I don't have the choice.

giphy.gif

+1

Different to the smithing exploit (before the fixes) were you only had like 2 options, get rich or don´t smith. That´s another thing.

I save scum like hell when it comes down to marriage but nobody forces me to do that :grin:

It's not "easy" to avoid using exploits when the alternative is a boring grind with crappy mechanics. If I'm given the choice between making 4 javelins or killing 10000 looters to make the same amount of money, guess which one I'll pick.

The point of a video game is enjoyment. Instead of trying to squeeze out all the illogical stuff for no real reason, developers should instead focus on removing things that make the game more boring. If people keep retreating from battles to replenish health and ammo, consider some kind of skill-based alternative rather than just removing the feature entirely, or punishing them for using it.

For instance the longer you stay in a battle where you're outnumbered, the more of an XP bonus you get. Or the more times you choose not to retreat (maybe when some advisor tells you to), the more morale your men have in the next battle.

Back
Top Bottom