Siege Preparation Bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Arkyll

Recruit
The siege preparation in the game is busted for big sieges.
The AI will drop its IQ by a few dozen score and fall trap to this endless siege artillery spam.

Build, die, build, die. It never ends until they run out of cohesion or get bored.

Pretty sure everyone who has played the game for a decent amount of time has experienced this at some point.

The actual siege weaponry building system is bad. You build siege equipment 1 by 1 in line of enemy fire. You have the 'put in the reserve' option once you have already... built it?
So optionally you tell your men to pack it up and put it in reserve instead of just building it in a safe area to begin with? Its madness.

The AI doesnt use the reserve. I have never actually fought a siege where the AI managed to break down the walls.

The AI doesnt use the reserve. I have never actually fought a siege where the AI managed to break down the walls.
I have. A few months back, and a lot of changes to the sieging army decisionmaking since then, but the commanding lord's personality figured into things so Cautious lords wouldn't launch an attack unless they were really sure (in autocalc terms) of winning the assault. That meant they would sometimes knock down a wall first, because that gives a big reduction in the defender effectiveness.

But I haven't seen that since, after balancing things so fewer lords starve while sieging. They more closely follow a generic "optimulal" plan now.

i made a couple suggestions to put siege engines automatically in reserve. This would cut down on the tedious pause/unpause actions to prevent unnecessary damage.
it might also help the ai with putting al 4 engines to action at the same time.

I wish I could choose which troops joined me in sieges and what their groups were. I have no use for cavalry in sieges, yet they will die on the walls, sometimes in large numbers. I would prefer to leave my cav out of sieges and just bring infantry and archers. I would also like all my companions to be together in one special group. I suppose a fella can dream...

I have. A few months back, and a lot of changes to the sieging army decisionmaking since then, but the commanding lord's personality figured into things so Cautious lords wouldn't launch an attack unless they were really sure (in autocalc terms) of winning the assault. That meant they would sometimes knock down a wall first, because that gives a big reduction in the defender effectiveness.

But I haven't seen that since, after balancing things so fewer lords starve while sieging. They more closely follow a generic "optimulal" plan now.
That sounds good.

Unfortunately though I am still seeing this happen.

I wish I could choose which troops joined me in sieges and what their groups were. I have no use for cavalry in sieges, yet they will die on the walls, sometimes in large numbers. I would prefer to leave my cav out of sieges and just bring infantry and archers. I would also like all my companions to be together in one special group. I suppose a fella can dream...

Once I get to a certain size I generally keep a 'siege' army on garrison duty in a town. That will be a lot of archers/xbows, a lot of high and mid tier infantry, and no cavalry. These are on garrison wages and protecting the town while not needed.

I also keep a 'field battle' army which is a pile of cavalry and horse archers, and whatever infantry and archer mix I want to flatten any armies I come across in the field. I usually use this army for training up all my recruits etc.

If I want to go take a town or castle, I swap them out. Put the field army and cavalry in the garrison, take the siege army out to play. Once I take the castle or town the siege army can be the 'stand-in' garrison to fight off the inevitable counterattack while I recruit and train a new garrison with my cavalry. Obviously if you are risking your original town to do this then you are making a mistake.

Obviously you have to do some shuffling of troops in and out of armies, but it can work and keep costs lower to put the expensive troops you don't need into a garrison while you do whatever fighting you need to at the time.

Back
Top Bottom