SP - Battles & Sieges Siege improvements for lower performance computers

Users who are viewing this thread

Octanoz

Regular
I just lost a 1400 to 800 siege where I had cracked two walls and left the defenders without any ballistae or catapults.Which is still perfectly possible were it not for the fact that the defending troops inside the wall were never fighting more than 10 attackers at a time. This happened because reinforcements for the defenders spawn in about 3 to 5 meters away for the defending group. The attackers spawn in on the other side of the map. Defenders spawn in in groups where attackers seem to be spawning in 1 by 1. Also archers on top of the walls respawn and that's a bit silly. When you have these teleport in right on top of your attackers and then take them out, that's OP as hell.

I would suggest to have the defenders spawn in from a bit further away and the attackers significantly closer by. Alternatively, let the attackers hold until they have a decently sized group (relative to the total size of the attacking army, maybe 10%, maybe even more?) before charging in.

Another interesting suggestion I saw on the forum here is to choose a preferred route for your army. So, say, send them primarily to the hole in the left wall or climb ladders / siege towers over the left wall. Until you start issuing your commands they will all follow that path. Issuing commands resets back to a more homogenized attack. Or perhaps our commands should include the option of directing our troops over the left or right side anyway. Of course, only if the defending AI is able to react to this and not stand idle at the wrong part of the wall.

Don't order them to charge. F the wall breach its suicide to friendly AI.
Go for the door, hammer down the door, order infantry to form up between the doors, break down the inside door and order your troops to move right onto of the enemy defenders, when they start pouring out into the courtyard order them to attack and they will swarm behind their shield wall and massacre them as fast as reinforcements spawn.. total blood bath.
If you just order them to charge they choose their own option of paths and split up filtering into choke points like idiots or trying to go up the siege tower which they never use all 3 ladders and just die like lemmings.

Actually, I've been playing around with it a bit. I used to always build the ram and siege towers just for the experience. But when you don't build any of those the friendly troops spawn just outside the holes in the wall and the siege goes a whole lot better for you. Limit the AI's choices seems to be the name of the game here. Although it didn't seem to matter if there were 1 or 2 breaches.

Your advice is sound, though. Going through the main gate is usually better than ladders or siege towers, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom