MP Siege Improvement Ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Here are my suggestions to make Siege Maps more fun:

1. Remove the destroyable wall gap barricades to make actual siege portion of the game more tactical and fun.
Currently, once the attacker side destroys the barricaded walls with catapults (which is almost impossible to prevent), then the attacker side gets instant access to the inner fortress and in some maps all the way to the G flag). I would understand it if it took a bit of time, but the barricaded walls come down almost instantly.

2. Make 2 Flags Capturable at any given time.
What I mean by this is, once the game starts the attacker and defender only focus on A and B flags. This would make defending and attacking that more fun and tactical. This would also necessitate the attackers to utilize the siege tower, battering ram and ladders more, to defend these tools more effectively and with teamwork. Currently one person sneaks by the defenders, starts capping F,G and other flags and the siege just crumbles. Under normal circumstances, this would be okay, but usually the game does not have that many people to defend against the backcappers. I also believe only 2 flags active at any given time would make sieges more fun in general.

3. Add defenses around siege machines so that defense cant shoot them right of the bat.
The current siege machines start getting pelted by enemy catapults (mangonels) immediately. And players have memorized their locations so they can immediately get the shots in accurately. I think there needs to be some defenses around these machines to protect them.

4. Add different (and differently strong) siege machines for every faction.

5. If you remove destroyable wall gap barricades, then more ladders are needed, more ladders more siege action.

5. If you remove destroyable wall gap barricades, then more ladders are needed, more ladders more siege action.
I think more ladders is a good idea, and expanding on that I'd think movable ladders would add more variety in attackers' options in a siege. That way attackers have some more freedom to decide where to attack instead of the places that are attacked every game by siege tower or the ladders that are locked in place

+1. I believe that players need to be able to bring siege ladders themselves (there should be about 5-6) to any place on the wall.I also think that it will be necessary to add another siege tower (3 towers will be a lot)
4. Add different (and differently strong) siege machines for every faction.
I have a couple of ideas in this regard. These are the siege engines, I think, it is worth introducing.
1.Tollenon consisted of two beams, one of which was installed vertically, and the other, longer, was movably fastened across the first in a state of equilibrium. At the end of the crossbeam, there was a basket or box that could hold a group of soldiers and rise to the desired height when the opposite end was lowered with the help of ropes. Tollenon was used to quickly raise warriors to the wall of a besieged fortress.
2.Patella threw stones attached to the long arm of the lever when people pulled on the short arm. For nuclei of 2 - 3 kg, 8 people were enough, and for nuclei of several tens of kilograms - up to 100 and more.
Paterella.jpg

3. Polybol - Rapid Fire Ballista.
Ancient_Mechanical_Artillery._Pic_01.jpg

It is sad that the game does not have castles with a water obstacle (I mean a river to be crossed), no moats (which must be filled up), no palisade (which can be destroyed), no boiling oil. In my opinion, this tactically diversifies the siege.

Last edited:
It is sad that the game does not have castles with a water obstacle (I mean a river to be crossed), no moats (which must be filled up), no palisade (which can be destroyed), no boiling oil. In my opinion, this tactically diversifies the siege.
Did not think of this. This is a great point and something that would transform the siege maps to make them immensely more fun and diverse with different potential tactics to take them.

What about the idea of disabling the option to pick cav units after the first 2 or 3 flags have been captured by attackers? This would count for both attackers and defenders after this point.
I think cav has it's place in siege but they should focus on the outside area of a castle, not the inside, and usually the first 2 flags are more on the outskirts of the castle.It's not strange or out of place to have cavalry rushing out to harass attackers or cav push in quickly to the first flag. When the outermost flags are gone and the fighting moves further inside the castle, the option to pick a cav unit after you die would be gone. Ofcourse when a cav is still alive after the 2nd or 3rd flag falls he gets to keep going until he dies but after that it's over.

Back
Top Bottom