SP - Battles & Sieges siege defense

Users who are viewing this thread

ahmed-fahmy

Recruit
i am missing the siege defense every time you try to enter town or castle to defend before enemy arrive they turn back there could be skill to add to high level tactics skill called"back door or swift entrance"that you may enter and defend without losing any troops surprising your foe

Yeah, right now, it's pretty hard to position yourself such that you get to defend a siege battle - for understandable realism reasons. Unless you intentionally put yourself in a bad situation for fun, most likely, you aren't going to put yourself in a losing siege battle against impossible odds. At the same time, the AI is very unlikely to launch a siege assault unless they are fairly confident that they will win. (And, as you noted, even if your party is just the right strength to get the AI to attack while still having a chance at success, it's hard to get there just in time.)

This is not my original idea (thread on Remote Commanding), but, I think you should totally be able to command defensive battles when the enemy attacks your fiefs - even if your character isn't at the battle site on the campaign map.

Yeah, right now, it's pretty hard to position yourself such that you get to defend a siege battle - for understandable realism reasons. Unless you intentionally put yourself in a bad situation for fun, most likely, you aren't going to put yourself in a losing siege battle against impossible odds. At the same time, the AI is very unlikely to launch a siege assault unless they are fairly confident that they will win. (And, as you noted, even if your party is just the right strength to get the AI to attack while still having a chance at success, it's hard to get there just in time.)

This is not my original idea (thread on Remote Commanding), but, I think you should totally be able to command defensive battles when the enemy attacks your fiefs - even if your character isn't at the battle site on the campaign map.
maybe tale worlds take note i think it will be dealt with somehow until full release

Not enough +1s on this.

Not enough +1s on this.
Or leave your army in a settlement and infiltrate the sieged fief with your companions. Time to use that roguery skill, I mean if it worked

Or leave your army in a settlement and infiltrate the sieged fief with your companions. Time to use that roguery skill, I mean if it worked

Infiltrating a castle is not a good idea, its kind of military encampent. And even then, what to do there?:smile: open gates for night attack?

Infiltrating a castle is not a good idea, its kind of military encampent. And even then, what to do there?:smile: open gates for night attack?
The problem is if your fief is besieged and you want to enter with a party/army to defend it, you lose a lot of soldiers.

Or if you left the autocalc do the job probably your high tier garrison soldiers will die and you lose the fief.

Shermanator suggestion which is a good idea:

My suggestion is what I used to do in Warband: I moved quickly just with companions to defend the fief in first person mode. If your garrison is good it would allow a high risk - high reward battle.

Now your suggestion/comment is another possibility, only that would be used to open the gates to take the fief in a surprise attack. This thread is about siege defense. And of course, roguery skill working and new mission templates would be needed

The problem is if your fief is besieged and you want to enter with a party/army to defend it, you lose a lot of soldiers.

Or if you left the autocalc do the job probably your high tier garrison soldiers will die and you lose the fief.

Shermanator suggestion which is a good idea:

My suggestion is what I used to do in Warband: I moved quickly just with companions to defend the fief in first person mode. If your garrison is good it would allow a high risk - high reward battle.

Now your suggestion/comment is another possibility, only that would be used to open the gates to take the fief in a surprise attack. This thread is about siege defense. And of course, roguery skill working and new mission templates would be needed

I misread the suggestion then, sorry about that.
Yes, it does sound good to be allowed to do either of those things - sneak in with small group (companions, buncha legionaries?) and command remotely.

That would also mean no armor for main character and such, as crawling in clunky armor, thats kind of tough.
Not really. If missions are fair and there is a way to escape when detected it will be interesting.
If missions are like Warband mods, you spawn surrounded by 5 guards and 5 more coming... that's a experience you don't want to repeat.
I like to play without save scumming and that punitive modding kinda ruins it

Not really. If missions are fair and there is a way to escape when detected it will be interesting.
If missions are like Warband mods, you spawn surrounded by 5 guards and 5 more coming... that's a experience you don't want to repeat.
I like to play without save scumming and that punitive modding kinda ruins it

Yeah I get that. But hey, gotta take it as it go. I cannot wait for the whole game finished realistic run to be done :smile: and I hope siege defense gets something to it, right now its kind of boring, especially if you cannot even manage the castle! Like move troops to garrison and recruit more prisoners.

I ended up in a defensive seige just after taking a castle my army had many wounded and there was not yet a garrison
To my annoyance when it came to defending only my party was allowed to defend, the rest of my army including my companions parties didn't seem to be able to participate. I got slaughtered needless to say.

That might be a bug. You should open a thread to report it. As far as I know all parties present in the fief are counted as defenders

I think this would be perfect, you expressed the exact same thoughts that I had. I also think that you shouldn't be able to know the exact number of defenders of a castle. You would only get a rough estimate based on the proximity to the castle or settlement. This in turn would make it very hard for the AI to judge exactly if they will win or not. Even then, the AI should take the risk, and as you said. Playing with some sort of Captain or one of your companions in case they are governing that settlement would be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom