SP - Battles & Sieges Siege complaints

Users who are viewing this thread

Doofus

Sergeant
1) - If you are the attacker, almost always one of the last targets for your troops is the enemy siege engines. Why? This makes no sense. The Siege engines are generally the most deadly defenders. They should be the first target after you have a foothold on the walls. A good example was a battle I had yesterday where the defenders had 300+ troops and 1 catapult. The last 3 defenders standing were the 2 troops manning the catapult and an archer that happened to be at the same tower. This makes absolutely no sense.

2) - When there is a battering ram and the AI controls the attackers (as an example, if my character was already brought down), the attackers can take the walls (with siege towers or ladders) and then they just sit there waiting until the battering ram has destroyed the main door AND the attackers have taken down the 2nd door. Instead of actively attacking the defenders they just sit there on the wall while enemy archers pick them off, occasionally even being hit by catapults. Why? They've succeeded in taking the walls. Its a foothold inside the castle/town and they should be expanding their control from that spot, not sitting there waiting to be killed.

3) Most of the time, I find that if you are using ladders or siege towers, your troops mostly congregate on one side or the other, not evenly split. Many times, if they gain control where the majority of attackers are then the next spawn of troops goes to the other side where they have to battle harder instead of easily gaining the walls where they already have control. Then they lose the control they have because the spot they controlled was not reinforced. By what logic do you not go to where you can get to the walls easily, then expand your control from that point?

4) In any battle, siege or field, when the player leads or is part of an army, the player seems to get a smaller percentage of troops in play in the early stages of the battle and frequently has less actual numbers of troops on the field than his fellow lords. This makes no sense to me as most times (after the early stages of the game) the player has one of the largest parties and has, on average, the strongest troops in play. It seems to me that in a real battle the leader would set an example by leading his troops in the battle with a higher percentage and it also seems that the most experienced troops would be the first in battle as they would be the least likely to panic and run. From a game standpoint, while having more of my troops in play would, admittedly, mean more losses for me, ultimately it would mean less losses for the rest of the army, in general, and the army as a whole would need less replenishment after battle (assuming it wins). The enemy usually has its best troops fighting first and in a somewhat even battle they devastate the rest of my army, who sends a lot of weak troops first. In the early stages of battle I find I have 5-10 troops on the field at once when my fellow lords have 30-40. We lose a lot at those stages of the battle and are frequently down 100-200 in losses early. Then in the later stages when I'm getting 35-75 troops on the field at once we roll, can somewhat easily catch up, and win by a close margin even if the enemy has double the troops. While its kind of a good feeling that my personal party can roll over enemy troops so easily, it causes a lot of consternation early in the battle and it causes a lot of unnecessary losses to the player's army in general.

As a general suggestion, I would advise that you use your own siege equipment to destroy all wall siege engines BEFORE leading an attack.
This way you lose far fewer troops during the assault.
My own strategy is to first build the 2 siege towers (I don't use the ram), then build 2 trebuchets (stick them in reserve) and 2 fire onagers. When 2 of the engines are built, I deploy them. The trebuchets are great for destroying the enemy wall siege defences, and the onagers are fantastic during the siege to down scores of wall defenders.

But do NOT deploy an attack until you remove all the al defences. It only takes a small amount of additional time, but makes a massive difference in lives lost.

If I'm fighting a siege battle attacking a castle/town and there are less than 100 troops there to (perhaps) my 500, I'll attack as soon as I can. That way a defensive force can't arrive. As a general rule, if they can build one catapult or less before I'm ready I attack as soon as I can. If they can build 2 or more I usually try to destroy them first before attacking. Usually during battle the catapults just wound the troops instead of killing them anyways. But its still annoying to see my troops don't have the intelligence of a 10-year old and can't figure out that you take out the biggest threat first. This lack of basic strategy also annoys me on the campaign map. Our trebuchets spend 1/2 their life hitting the walls while catapults are destroying them instead of killing the Cats first then taking out the walls at their leisure while little threat exists.

I don't usually use mods, although I understand why others use them. My understanding is that this forum is to offer suggestions to Taleworlds. While I'm basically complaining, it does offer them things that could be improved.

You may find yourself waiting a very very long time....
I stopped playing BL mid-2022, played two full Prophesy of Pendor campaign followed by a two full Perisno campaign on Warband, and when I returned, the game edition had gone from 1.8 to 1.0.3. So, many updates, and lots of time for the forums MANY sensible suggestions to be implemented.
Yet when I tried to play vanilla I could notice ZERO difference to 1.8, except cavalry was a bit smarter, and the AI overall was (probably) dummer than before I left.

Mods make the game enjoyable, where vanilla just makes you spend a lot of time on the forum, making suggestions.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. I love the game style, and love Warband, but there are so many basic problems in Bannerlord. I feel like none of the Devs have ever played the game or something. I feel like 2 of the biggest problems are; A) the game is called Bannerlord and the main quest is the Bannerlord quest, but you not only get no reward for completing it, you get penalized. B) The first half of the game is fun, but after you conquer about 1/2 the map the game is nothing but a frustrating grind where you need to be on at least 2 sides of the map at once and it takes about 3-4 in-game days to travel from one warfront to the other. The AI always wants multiple wars at once, including wars with factions we don't even border. Truces last no more than one season. You can make no alliances. You can't eliminate factions. Blah, blah, blah....

Back
Top Bottom