In Progress Siege battles still screw up the player's groups

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Summary: Siege battles still badly screw up the player's groups, the majority of the time. There may be more than one bug involved, because different sieges (with different numbers of parties in the army, different settlements, etc.) result in different variations of the bug.

In the specific case shown in the save file I'm uploading: when I start the siege battle, all of my troops are thrown into two groups. Group 1 is all archers, while Group 2 is a mixture of archers and infantry. I thus have no reasonable way to command my infantry independently of the archers.

The most common variation of the bug is when the game takes my companions from Group 5, which they are all set to be in, and instead throws them into random groups (also seen in the uploaded save file). This often happens even when they are in my party, but if a given companion is leading another party in my army, s/he will never show up in Group 5 where s/he's supposed to be. This makes it effectively impossible to command these companions independently of whatever troop type the game threw them in with.

Sometimes, the game will put troops into 8 groups, even though I only had troops in three or four groups in the Party window. Most rarely, everything will be in the correct groups, but I almost never see this unless it's a single-party siege with a relatively low troop count.

How to Reproduce: Load the uploaded save file, wait for the siege camp to be completed, dismiss the two companion parties from the player's army (they're meant to keep my mounted troops from fighting in the siege, so that they are not wasted), then click Attack. Upon entering the battle map, examine Group 2 and see that it has a mixture of infantry and archers, despite the player never having set them to be in the same group.

Have you used cheats and if so which: No

Last edited:
This bug is still occurring in 1.6.1. As it hasn't been mentioned having been fixed in the patch notes for subsequent versions, it's a good bet that it's still present in the latest version.

Back
Top Bottom