Siege AI needs a hotfix ASAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Adrivan

Sergeant at Arms
Just look at this.... a whole siege tower and there's only 1 guy on it.... who gets killed instantly and then the next guy comes to get killed.... This should be treated as a priority bug tbh, why is it not being addressed?

vcHfGFe.jpg

These guys are not using the ladders AT ALL:

abYwS8A.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed, it has been like this since release and makes that part of the game basically unplayable unless you do everything almost by yourself.

A few days ago I saw this image on reddit. :roll:

go74c5zag7e61.jpg

#pizzaparty

---
And to the problem of defending troops getting inside the attackers' siege tower, I've already mentioned it here. Why not set up an invisible barrier to block the path of the defenders and prevent them from accessing the tower footbridge?

k_r6f.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. Sieges and the perks need to be fixed before adding new features... It's been a year and we still don't have all the perks implemented, and the combat perks are quite uninspired and not worth grinding for (a little bit of damage here, little bit of accuracy... which don't even matter by half-way through the perk tree when you 1-shot anything anyway). There are some core things that just need improvement overall

To me, besieging was the most fun thing to do in Warband, I see it as a core functionality of the game. Open field battles are ok, but sieges are the most fun. Honestly this is something they should have fixed already with the first patch, before doing anything else. If a dev reads this, please, give sieges some love in 1.5.9.

This is still broken? Lol. How is that even possible?

Bandaid fix: Assign a number to every melee infantry/cavalry troop on the attacking side, 1 through 999. The lower the number, the higher their priority to use the siege equipment. Hardcode said numbered troops to walk up to and use the siege equipment, if within X yards but still hasn't used the siege equipment after Y amount of seconds; "teleport" them to the siege equipment. Number 3 will never attempt to use siege equipment before number 2, etc. .

This should work as a fix until pathing can be fixed.

---
And to the problem of defending troops getting inside the attackers' siege tower, I've already mentioned it here. Why not set up an invisible barrier to block the path of the defenders and prevent them from accessing the tower footbridge?

k_r6f.jpg

Any invisible barriers are gonna be bad for gameplay imo.

Why not just make the tower higher and let the gate drop on top of the undamaged walls like in total war. The offenders will have to jump down and the defenders won't be able to climb up. I do remember at launch the AI was at least able to climb individual ladders (not siege tower) every time. Now half of the time they just ignore one or all of them.

v65RpGx.jpg

^That's a good idea. The main purpose of a siege tower is actually to gain the 'high ground'.

I can't believe there's been zero progress made on this glaring issue in a year though. It just completely takes you out of the game when it happens.

Any invisible barriers are gonna be bad for gameplay imo.

Why not just make the tower higher and let the gate drop on top of the undamaged walls like in total war. The offenders will have to jump down and the defenders won't be able to climb up. I do remember at launch the AI was at least able to climb individual ladders (not siege tower) every time. Now half of the time they just ignore one or all of them.

v65RpGx.jpg
Precisely in the siege scenes, each tower lands the ramp on a section of destroyed wall, so this is a design decision (plausible). The realistic way would be for the ramp to fall on top of the battlement blocks and for the besiegers to have to jump onto the wall from the height of the ramp (high vantage point). I certainly prefer this more realistic system than the "invisible barriers" solution; however, with the former, many more variables would have to be checked in this equation than the simple positioning of an invisible passage restriction element.

That said, both solutions do not seem to fit with Taleworlds' design guidelines. We'll see how they solve this real problem they have on their hands and which has been causing player frustration since practically day 1.

Sieges should be number 1 priority for TW to fix, together with field battles they are the core of the game and the main objective in mid-late game.

We have barely functioning AI for both attackers and defenders, extreme pathing problems with ladders/towers (atleast the gates seem to be working fine in the last updates for me, the AI is axing it down as they should) and there is some siege scenes causing huge fps drops (top of my head i remember one or two battanian castles causing this and a few villages in battles too) oh and the ranged AI not firing properly bug returned in 1.5.8 beta to sieges.

The sieges are beautiful and once these problems are fixed they will be breathtaking :grin:

Strangely, I have not experienced this much in my game since 1.5.7, or on the .8 beta branch. The 3 ladder siege towers do sometimes have issues, but my army has been using ladders, the battering ram, all the catapult/ballistae/trebuchets I bring, and on low tier walls, the ramp siege tower is extremely effective.

Back
Top Bottom