SP - UI Showing Weather Conditions on Campaign UI

Users who are viewing this thread

I think I suggested this in somewhere already - but I think it's better to have a thread for it so that devs can bring it up internally.

I think it would be great to have an indicator in UI for seeing the current weather of the current tile/navmesh you are on. This is particularly good before going into battles and such.

I'm aware of the fact that currently game "randomly" assigns weather conditions for scenes or uses preassigned ones - but I think we should at least have some form of dynamic weather on the main map ( I'm also aware of the fact that we can't have real dynamic weather . i.e. rain starts in mid-battle etc ) Even knowing the weather and leveraging this for battles can be useful and would be a nice detail touch to the game.

Basically, this is my suggestion:
TLpwG.jpg
Obviously, the official weather icons will look better than my 2 min change.

+1

The last official statement regarding this issue came from Armagan himself:

Gameplay effects of weather on horse speed, archery etc work only in single player. In MP there are no effects on any of the stats.
(source)

As of today, we do not know if all this is still on the table. If I look back at the Warband mods, I always remember _Sebastian_ and his weather wizardry.

It's a pity that we can't find something dynamic like that in Bannerlord...

The last official statement regarding this issue came from Armagan himself:

(source)

As of today, we do not know if all this is still on the table. If I look back at the Warband mods, I always remember @_Sebastian_ and his weather wizardry.
This is currently in-game actually. Having fog or rain in the scene changes the accuracy and speed of the missiles - I guess method was ApplyWeatherEffects or something like that, if you want to look it up. ( No idea why that changes the speed tho )
But even in Warband weather was effecting horse speed - so I would expect Bannerlord to add more flavour on that. I'm actually doing something about this as a side mod - super buggy but perhaps I can release it just to see the public reaction to that. Regardless, I would expect TW to bring something more dynamic by default.

Sebastian's work is hella good and I think Barabas also did something similar back then. And Deluge was the first introduce this type of dynamic weather to Warband. As far as I recall - at least based on my tests in Beta times - Bannerlord doesn't support dynamic weather or even dynamic lightning so-to-speak. I think @Murat Türe can also shed light on that if he has time.

Basically game have different pre-baked atmospheres and to change cloud amount, you need to change the atmosphere. So TOD( Time of day) highly depends on the atmosphere HDRI. Changing the atmosphere on the fly causes a lot of weird results.
For rain and other elements(snow fog etc), you do have certain calls that you can make to engine side - so I'm guessing that it is planned. But whenever you change something, i.e. lets say you set rain density from 0 to 0.01 or want to update it gradually based on delta time, it was somehow re-rendering/baking the scene which was causing weird black frames on the scene.
I actually haven't tried that on new releases yet but as far as I know, even setting fog can cause an instant crash on the game. So I'm guessing rain isn't that much different either. There are also stuff like, if you are naive enough to set snow in desert terrain, it was crashing directly ( like engine crash, not even dll crash )

Currently we don't have rainfall or snowfall in the scenes in SP. It's in the game but not in a final state. It'll be added during EA afaik(not affects on AI but visuals). Without those, this image would represent, only seasons I would image. I will certainly bring it up internally. If it is approved it would be added when snowfall and rainfall is added, I would imagine.

Currently we don't have rainfall or snowfall in the scenes in SP. It's in the game but not in a final state. It'll be added during EA afaik(not affects on AI but visuals). Without those, this image would represent, only seasons I would image. I will certainly bring it up internally. If it is approved it would be added when snowfall and rainfall is added, I would imagine.
Perfect. Thanks a lot. Just to clarify, I think we have more than two weather conditions in the game
- Snowfall ( rainfall mixed with snowflake maybe - or just snow icon)
- Rainfall ( rainfall icon)
- Fog ( fog icon )
- Normal weather ( Normal sun icon )
and some other which can also be added in the game because we have a temperature variable for the scenes
- Extreme Heat ( Sun icon with sizzles coming out )
- Extreme Cold ( Snowflake icon - maybe )
And these all can have different effects on troops ( I know, it's outside of the UI suggestion - but just saying )

I guess as long as they give you the data, implementation would be something easy for you, like, Campaign.Instance.GetWeatherInPosition( somenavmeshposition ) so that you can show it properly on UI.

Oh yes, this was the method. Didn't know it was disabled though. Strange.

If I may add, we can definitely use a terrain type indicator in the UI persistently or when you are about to start a battle (e.g. plains, forest, mountain etc). This may be important when you want to fight a battle on your terms and draw the enemy on other other terrain types more advantageous to your style. I can create a separate suggestion and link this thread too, because both features - terrain and weather indicators - can be merged in one.

If I may add, we can definitely use a terrain type indicator in the UI persistently or when you are about to start a battle (e.g. plains, forest, mountain etc). This may be important when you want to fight a battle on your terms and draw the enemy on other other terrain types more advantageous to your style. I can create a separate suggestion and link this thread too, because both features - terrain and weather indicators - can be merged in one.
Agreed. In general having UI displaying useful information that is embedded in game mechanics/features, that would be naturally perceivable in the real world, but are hidden because of the game limitations, is a good move. You don't even need fully developed mechanics behind the UI, it can simply be text and images just for the sake of role play and to give a sense of realism and connection to the world, this settles the base for mods to develop it further or devs can add such mechanics later if they choose so.

Back
Top Bottom