Should you give money to homless people?

Users who are viewing this thread

So today, on my way to work I saw a rather sad scene.
*snip*
I do tend to give money to beggars that ask, but I often save these alms to hand to them on a windy day I throw the money at them which is often in notes and enjoy the look on their faces as the loose papers get blown away, just like their dreams. If I just walk past ignoring people I feel like too much of a **** so I am a bit of an ideal sucker to beg money from. I do rather prefer to give money to people begging on the street when I give some in charity at all, so I can actually see who it's going to rather than dissapearing into some giant "charitable company" never to be seen again.

But yeah, if you can spare it, give it.

I usually only provide money to those who are directly asking for food or at least trying to offer a service, the service doesn't have to be useful, the other month a women came selling some small cloth balls with perfume sprayed inside, 1,50$ each, I had no use for that stuff, but the fact that she offered me a service is proof enough for me that she is actively perusing a better life, I only had a 2$ bill and so I told her she could keep the change, and she actually gave me 2 balls instead and thanked me.

I usually will. To me, I don't care who they are, are they a genuinely homeless man or not. Because helping someone makes me happy. If someone I helped is a liar, I would say, "what a bad luck day."
I still remember a scene in the Netflix film <Old Guard>. Till today, this scene makes me warm. Please allow me to share it.

"Today, I put this on your wound."
"Tomorrow...you help someone up when they fall."
"We're not meant to be alone."

Last edited:
The only way to help is to vote. To to all you can to sustain a proper use of public funds, to not be wasted. So that education be the number one pillar of a society. Closely followed by a strong economy that permits a loyal competition between as many players possible. Of course same approach as with the market should be taken with politics in order to have as many parties as possible in order to have less people without representation.
Throwing money at your problems, like 30 Rock's Jack Donaghy clearly and funnily portrait it, will definitely solve none of your issues.

I usually will. To me, I don't care who they are, are they a genuinely homeless man or not. Because helping someone makes me happy. If someone I helped is a liar, I would say, "what a bad luck day."
I still remember a scene in the Netflix film <Old Guard>. Till today, this scene makes me warm. Please allow me to share it.

"Today, I put this on your wound."
"Tomorrow...you help someone up when they fall."
"We're not meant to be alone."
How about the fisherman story where the beggar died of hunger when the fisherman died? Also that in real life many are really swindlers who would swear and be offended even for giving them food instead of money or too little money. I mean, there are plenty of people in real need and a helping hand would mean the world. But at the same time there are many who are perfectly able to work but don't want to, those will actually complain about your effort to help. Not to mention that will squander that help and to what they always do anyway.

Does throwing some beggar a buck make you a good person? No, it doesn't.
Does it help the beggar in the long run? No.
I honestly can not come up with any sort of metric that would allow to definitely decide "yes, you should" or "no, you shouldn't".
It doesn't matter at all if you give money to a homeless person.

If you have money and have paid all of your costs (including putting some aside to your savings) then I don't see why not. Giving money, food, drink, shelter and the means to provide for themselves (a job) is a good deed and good deeds (whether you have faith or not) washes away the bad deeds that you may accumulate through your daily lives.

Many young people today do this for publicity and other vain ideals, which is incredibly saddening, but as the world delves deeper into materialism and anti-faith this type of behaviour becomes more of an occurrence. The one who gives in charity selflessly without seeking reward or praise is the greatest of men/women and his creator likely views him/her as a flawless diamond among countless ordinary stones.

If you give a hungry man a fish, you feed him for a day, but if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom