Should Taleworlds include audiovisual content in devblogs?

• Yes, it's necessary because it really shows a mechanic/characteristic.

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • No, Taleworlds does not need to waste time on this.

Votes: 19 32.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Terco_Viejo

Spanish Gifquisition
Grandmaster Knight
Within the community there are mixed feelings about the published devblogs. Going back to the first devlbog (03/08/17) we see an effort on the part of Taleworld to once again seduce its fan base and to conquer potential customers through weekly development blogs in an effort to polish up the rough spots due to the long time of radio silence and lack of information.
At first, it is clear that it was a shock to find a panorama of informative openness, communicative agility and good intentions through community/developer interaction through strict weekly blogs.

"We want to improve our relationship and communication with you, and we have set out to get started right now. We know you are looking forward to Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord and we understand that, after all these years, you have many questions. Basically, we believe that the best way to connect with you is by being transparent and opening our doors for you to witness our daily work, as well as having direct channels through which we can tell you everything about TaleWorlds Entertainment and Mount & Blade, at least everything we can (or can't) tell you at all times. We are striving to create the best possible game, a hard task that has taken many years. It is your support that motivates us to keep striving!"

Taleworlds must let go of the fears and face constructive criticism as it is still possible to rectify certain things because they are still in the "final touches".
The contribution of the gifs in the devblogs was a very celebrated addition by the community because we went from something flat to see in movement. Do you remember the satisfaction to see the mane of the horses? And the trot of the camel rider? And the movement of the blockade with weapon? etc ...
What I mean is that when we are told about certain mechanics, as added to the devblog should appear a small video clip showing it.
A video clip showing the behaviors of the individual and in formation would have been a magnificent addition in the last devblog.

At the end of the day what the great majority claims is a show. Veteran fans/players are not afraid of text walls as they are interested in the channels the game is taking in its development process. But new players or new audience/target need to eat by sight. They need spectacle.

Providing audiovisual content in the weekly blog posts is an issue Taleworlds would need to reconsider.

I pass this question on to you, the members of the community:

I wouldn't necessarily say every blog needs a gif or video, but at least one a month would be cool, or depending on the topic. As you said, seeing how the different levels of ai interact in context and in motion would go a long way to alleviating concerns people have after seeing the Gamescom videos. However, there are also some topics that don't really need a video/gif, and a simple pic works fine.

Roccoflipside said:
I wouldn't necessarily say every blog needs a gif or video, but at least one a month would be cool, or depending on the topic. As you said, seeing how the different levels of ai interact in context and in motion would go a long way to alleviating concerns people have after seeing the Gamescom videos. However, there are also some topics that don't really need a video/gif, and a simple pic works fine.

I have just rectified the title (more flexible). Well, here is the proposal and the space for us "the community" to propose workable solutions to this problem (if it is). Personally, I am not looking for trolling or agitation; I do it from the most strictest constructive criticism.

Veteran fans/players are not afraid of text walls as they are interested in the channels the game is taking in its development process. But new players or new audience/target need to eat by sight. They need spectacle.

You just pointed out why Taleworlds is not bothering with audio files in Developer Blogs. Everyone reading the blog are veteran players. The casual players don't care about these blogs why should we be pandering to a nonexistent audience?

I still would've preferred a short, two minute video showcasing the improvements to battle ai over the wall of text. Descriptions of things are all well and good, but especially with something like this, descriptions are also somewhat open to interpretation. A video would (could) show how it does work, rather than leaving us to discuss amongst ourselves, possibly coming to the wrong conclusions (as has happened here before).

I would like monthly videos demonstrating the featured topic or something silly like a multiplayer test match between devs. I assume they shy away from vids because they want to keep progress impressions to a minimum unless the feature is basically complete.

BayBear said:
I would like monthly videos demonstrating the featured topic or something silly like a multiplayer test match between devs. I assume they shy away from vids because they want to keep progress impressions to a minimum unless the feature is basically complete.

It’s tough to keep videos focused on the subject. However, matches would be good. Every interview could feature a duel between Callum and the interviewee where the guest gets to choose which weapons they’ve both got to use. Any interviewee who’s not happy with this can nominate a champion such as Sten to beat up Callum for them. We can keep a running scorecard on Callum.  :grin:

Interviewees team get 2 points for a personal win or 1 point for a champion’s win.
Callum gets 2 points for a normal win or 3 points for defeating a nominated champion.

Some of the time a video is just more effort then it will be worth, other times when trying to demonstrate something that involves lots of movement or animation, like the most recent dev blog on AI a video will better show their audience their progress. So I don't think their should be a video for each dev blog, and that they're only really need when the topic matter is hard to convey with words or better conveyed with visuals.

NPC99 said:
BayBear said:

It’s tough to keep videos focused on the subject. However, matches would be good. Every interview could feature a duel between Callum and the interviewee where the guest gets to choose which weapons they’ve both got to use. Any interviewee who’s not happy with this can nominate a champion such as Sten to beat up Callum for them. We can keep a running scorecard on Callum.  :grin:

Interviewees team get 2 points for a personal win or 1 point for a champion’s win.
Callum gets 2 points for a normal win or 3 points for defeating a nominated champion.

I'm all for this idea. I know this may affect development a bit but the idea is just so amusing to me that I can't help but support it. Only question is what type of weapons each interviewee will pick.

Lolbash said:
You just pointed out why Taleworlds is not bothering with audio files in Developer Blogs. Everyone reading the blog are veteran players. The casual players don't care about these blogs why should we be pandering to a nonexistent audience?

It is not a question of pandering. The non-existent public of now is the one that Taleworlds must seduce in order to turn it into potential purchase targets.  And that is achieved with advertising and the best way you want or not to reach a potential goal in this type of industry is through audiovisual techniques.
Empowering audiovisual content is vital to sell this type of product.

Terco_Viejo said:
Lolbash said:

It is not a question of pandering. The non-existent public of now is the one that Taleworlds must seduce in order to turn it into potential purchase targets.  And that is achieved with advertising and the best way you want or not to reach a potential goal in this type of industry is through audiovisual techniques.

Then why not purchase Advertisement on Youtube, release videos on Youtube channel? Why not announce the release date or Early Access? Why not give free early Steam keys to Youtubers?

All of these things are infinitely much more effective at luring in new customers into purchasing the game than putting in pretty pictures into Developer Blogs.

The answer is simple. They are not trying to get in new potential buyers. These blogs exist to keep the veteran community from tearing at each other out of boredom and wait.

Lolbash said:
Terco_Viejo said:
Lolbash said:

Then why not purchase Advertisement on Youtube, release videos on Youtube channel? Why not announce the release date or Early Access? Why not give free early Steam keys to Youtubers?

All of these things are infinitely much more effective at luring in new customers into purchasing the game than putting in pretty pictures into Developer Blogs.

The answer is simple. They are not trying to get in new potential buyers. These blogs exist to keep the veteran community from tearing at each other out of boredom and wait.

OldfashionedPowerlessHammerkop-size_restricted.gif

I see you don't want to understand...

There are many companies that are still not clear about the benefits that Video Marketing can bring to their organization. Let's try to get to the point and synthesize the most relevant advantages.

1. The importance of video.
Videos achieve a higher degree of retention in the public. It is capable of arousing emotions, and because our brain is accustomed to receiving visual information. 90% of the information received by the brain is visual.

2. Because of the ease of distribution.

Before a company made a video, long, thick, super corporate, and of course, and spent the money on thousands of copies of DVD. Now the channel is another, easier and cheaper. Youtube or similar video channels plus your social networks. In the case of youtube is the second search engine in the world, behind google, receives billions of visits daily and important, 25% of visits are made from mobile so the content can not be either long or thick and with little corporate grade.

3. Google indexes videos in user searches , so it helps the positioning of the company or its products. It also increases the probability of buying a product by 64% and retains users on your website. And finally, videos are the most shared content on social networks.

4. It is the most attractive way for the end user.
If we understand Video Marketing within the strategy of Brancontent (content marketing) of the company, the video is the most attractive support because in studies conducted at the neurological level is shown that the end user reads less and less and stops, however, in the key images (called Nodes) and messages sent by the voice off. We can say that video marketing is a way of explaining our product or service to the end user without asking the cognitive effort involved in stopping to read, interpret a text and look for applications.

5. For its measurable effectiveness.
Now with Video Marketing actions you can verify the effectiveness of your communication actions thanks to Statistics systems in the main video platforms on the Internet, such as Youtube Analytics where you can see the level of attention paid by users to your videos, which parts they find most interesting and many more parameters of analysis that will make you consider whether video production is expensive or not. For the information you provide you will see that it has never been so attractive and effective to carry out video marketing actions that in addition to being a marketing tool content provides true information of interest about your services and allows you to measure the ROI (return on investment) of these actions.

Under my humble opinion Taleworlds should have continued with the line of illustrative videos like the one they made some time ago to explain how his engine worked and the features it had. It's never too late to get back on track.
That's what I'm talking about:

Under my humble opinion Taleworlds should have continued with the line of illustrative videos like the one they made some time ago to explain how his engine worked and the features it had. It's never too late to get back on track.
And what was the rate at which these kind of videos were shared? :razz:

While your arguments and the overall discussion is interesting, I will note that it assumes TW wants to sell or "hype" the game right now. Do keep in mind that a variety of people have accussed them of lying to/misleading their customers via the media and statements already shared - for HYPE or even WB sales. With the release date too far away to announce, avoiding this kinda thing is difficult to say the least.

7. Will there be an in-game/engine tool/camera to create FMV sequences?
We will provide a replay editor.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1464090667824385857

At the very least, when it's time for a dev blog on Bannerlord's replay editor that must require some video footage.  :grin:

Duh said:
And what was the rate at which these kind of videos were shared? :razz:

While your arguments and the overall discussion is interesting, I will note that it assumes TW wants to sell or "hype" the game right now. Do keep in mind that a variety of people have accussed them of lying to/misleading their customers via the media and statements already shared - for HYPE or even WB sales. With the release date too far away to announce, avoiding this kinda thing is difficult to say the least.

The rate at which these videos were shared was totally fortuitous.  :lol:
But you're not focusing on the issue we're worried about anyway; gentlemen. Let's focus on the fact that the devblogs lack audio-visual load.

All the people who think about "release when", "waiting simulator", etc. have to be seduced and unfortunately with text walls they are not seduced. Notice all the comments from Steam and Twitter after a new devblog published; there is no debate, only destructive criticism and complaint.

The game will be ready when it's ready; ok there's no problem; but to believe you have to see.

The devlbogs report about the game (sometimes not enough) and between the lines we understand that it is only a resource to gain time in development and appease the mob; but so the devblogs are not working (my opinion).

One month= 2 video-devblogs + 2 Q&A (easy)

A video-devblog like the engine one is (technically-professionally) feasible having as a deadline a week with documentation process included. The denial is not defensible (it can be done; another thing is that either you don't want or you don't have the technical skills to carry it out - in a company with the level that Taleworlds has, I would be very surprised if it were so).

Because Callum is not facing alone the danger right? there is a marketing team right (seo, sem, smo...social CRM)? I take it for granted. :roll:

Taleworlds needs to boost its passive Social Media Marketing and video-devblogs are a fundamental support to carry it out:

Reputation crisis protocol
by carrying out an PSMM plan to achieve:

Greater visibility
Receive positive feedback from our customers and potential buyers
Reach the target audience with lead generation
Protect the brand and improve reputation
Generate traffic to the website

----------------
Actions to improve communication:

Constant handling of the video-devblog / Q&A blog, publishing enough to communicate about the Bannerlord development, avoid saturating, a weekly publication is sufficient. To use images, informative and audiovisual content of quality.

Maintain a humanized dialogue, so that viewers-readers can connect with and appreciate the reality of the team and the game development process.

Effective management of social networks, Twitter, Facebook, G+, YouTube and RSS Feed, etc...

Make the most of the community of players and maintain an active listening.

Participate actively in all community blogs and forums (Callum you are the visible face, we need you. Devs you are always welcome, come to us that we will not bite you.).

Don't hide behind the low profile appearance.

---------------

Finally, I personally think that if Taleworlds bet strongly on video-devblogs in what remains of development and show as an appetizer the features that the player will find in the final version, it would be the best strategy to turn the widespread opinion of "bannerlord when" into "what masterpiece of Taleworlds awaits us".

Because Callum is not facing alone the danger right? there is a marketing team right (seo, sem, smo...social CRM)? I take it for granted.
I wouldn't take all of that for granted  :razz:

Callum is not alone but he is certainly handling a lot of things. Only he knows specifics, though.

Back
Top Bottom