Should starting as a priest enable you to read?

Users who are viewing this thread

k61824

Veteran
I was wondering whether your start as a priest (especially the christian ones) should enable you to read from the start instead of having to enter the monastery to be able to read.  I mean, if being a priest doesn't have implications that you can, why should the guys in the monastery can read?

If balancing is an issue perhaps you can make them spend 4k penings and a week game time elsewhere doing other things.

It might possibly be extended to orators (making great speeches may require you to read; however I am not sure whether it is essential)

k61824 said:
I was wondering whether your start as a priest (especially the christian ones) should enable you to read from the start instead of having to enter the monastery to be able to read.  I mean, if being a priest doesn't have implications that you can, why should the guys in the monastery can read?

If balancing is an issue perhaps you can make them spend 4k penings and a week game time elsewhere doing other things.

It might possibly be extended to orators (making great speeches may require you to read; however I am not sure whether it is essential)

literacy in Britain and Scandinavia was very rare by most accounts at the time of the game. Charlemagne started it on the rise at the start of the 9th century. A judge of how few even at the top of society could read is Charlemagne himself could not. This is one of the reasons we have so little documented from this time period. Likely literacy would have been limited to the wealthy clergy. It was rare for common clergy to be literate. Even monks engaged in copying books in monasteries generally could not read what they were doing, they were more artists than writers. Same for poets and story tellers, they learned their craft by memory not reading. Though merchants engaged in long distance trade also had their own kind of writing which would eventually become the English language, that was not used for literacy until the start of the fifteenth century.

Back
Top Bottom