Should Recruits Change Culture to the Occupying Faction's?

Should Recruits Change Culture to the Occupying Faction's?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

I think this is an issue with factions' identities. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems factions which conquer new territory end up having too mixed of armies because they recruit from the closest villages, which will probably be newly conquered ones if theyre fighting on the front lines. This, and it makes it hard for the player to maintain an army of their home culture for a few reasons- As your faction expands, it gets more lords. The lords recruit from your home territory a bit, meaning even less recruits available there. You will also be travelling further and further from home territory.

Also, for me it's a pain in the ass having like 30 different troop types to manage and scroll through in the party screen. But its more of a pain to travel home to fill up after every major battle.

I understand it isnt fully realistic to have the units immediately convert to whatever faction occupies it. Maybe a good solution would be a settlement "upgrade" option to convert them to your faction's culture. This way it adds that slight realism of taking a bit to convert, and it allows players to keep the original culture there (at least if they own the settlement) if you like the diversity. For me, it's a pain in the ass having like 30 different troop types to manage and scroll through in the party screen.

Worst case scenario a mod gives the option...

I say no. I like it when the army of Pharon comes to be under Khuzait colours, I know it's not going to be a Khuzait army but an Imperial one, with some Khuzait elements.

It's more realistic this way, and I find it more immersive.

If they do implement something like this I don't think the Culture Change should happen right away.
I can think of a few immersive ways of implementing this:
1. Over time: After a certain amount of time (months/years) the village/town eventually assimilates and converts to the owning faction's culture.
2. Put it under the player or lord's control: The player or lord build something or tick a box that stat enables that town to become the owning faction's culture.
3. combination of of the first two options. It happens over time, and the player or lord has to enable it to happen. I personally like this option the best. Everyone is happy, and it's immersive.

I'll say no, trough our RL history we saw that it takes a long ass time for the conquered culture to adopt the conqueror's culture, and more often then not it turns out to be more of a merger then straight up adoption.Romans used auxiliary system for this exact reason, different cultures had different traditions, it's hard to take a Gaul and make him into a legionary but Gauls were excellent cavalry so Romans used them in this capacity for a very long time.

In the case of Mount and Blade, I would say no. This is not the kind of thing that happens in just a couple of decades.

I mean, it's an interesting idea, but the more I think of it, it doesn't make much sense.

Or maybe just limit the change of soldiers cultural equipements to towns and not the villages... also like half of the soldiers available in the town.

If they did it should take a generation or so.

Again this is an issue with how fast campaign are, and the time scaling being way to slow for the current pace of it.

I'd like it to happen much faster than would be considered "realistic"... I certainly agree that it shouldn't happen right away.. But it does feel kinda of strange as it is right now. In my game the western empire ended up having only Aserai fiefs... resulting in the empire basically losing it's identity.

I think that the recruiting npcs should switch culture gradually to faction currently controlling it..perhaps not 100%.

It would have to be faster than "realistic".
I'm not sure what the timeline should be but I'd be okay if it had to be held by the owning faction for 1-2 years in order for the culture to change.

On top of that, I think once the player/lord started the conversion they get a minus reputation on the town/village.
and maybe a year or two after the conversion if the player/lord regains that town/village and were to restore it to the original culture, they could get a minor plus reputation.

I think it would be a really cool system to add to the game.
If anything I hope someone turns the idea in to a mod with options for most people's liking.

I'd like to be able to recruit my factions soldiers from the fiefs I own, but it seems impossible to acquire a settlement that is your factions culture. The only way would be for your faction to lose that settlement, and then after your reconquer it you get awarded it. However, the ai always no matter what gives the settlement back to its original owner. So the only settlements I can get are those of other factions cultures which is annoying. It would be nice if you could at least choose; like if there was a building you could construct that would convert the residents of a settlement to that of your faction, that way you could decide which you'd rather have.

Thanks for the opinions.
If they did it should take a generation or so.
Again this is an issue with how fast campaign are, and the time scaling being way to slow for the current pace of it.
This is a big concern of mine. I guess something like a year or two would be good for the culture change upgrade to finish on the current timescale but we'll have to wait and see. For me ideally it would be like a decade, but i dont think that will ever work unless big timescale changes come.
I'll say no, trough our RL history we saw that it takes a long ass time for the conquered culture to adopt the conqueror's culture, and more often then not it turns out to be more of a merger then straight up adoption.
Yes but its kinda not possible with M&B to have a merger system like that. But I feel obligated to point out this is not real life we're talking about here. Nothing about the timescale here reflects history in the first place, so I think it's wrong to use that reasoning.
3. combination of of the first two options. It happens over time, and the player or lord has to enable it to happen. I personally like this option the best. Everyone is happy, and it's immersive.
That's very similar to what I suggested in last part of OP, and I think it's the best solution if it were to be done. But again, maybe it's just an idea btter left for one of you smart modders out there.

I'd like to be able to recruit my factions soldiers from the fiefs I own, but it seems impossible to acquire a settlement that is your factions culture.

This is why I think you should be able to convert the culture of the fiefs you acquire.
First, give the player the option to do it in the first place. Maybe get a few negative points with the town since you're basically making them change their ways.
Second, a somewhat lengthy time has to pass in order for it to finish.
Third, You'll have to regain reputation with that town, but you'll have the troops you want to recruit.

If you give AI lords the ability to do this you could "free" towns/villages that have been culture converted if you restore it to it's original culture. Then you can gain reputation with them for doing so.

Over time, yes. If a battanian city stays under imperial control for 20 years, i think it should change culture.

Short term ? No.

The numbers are adjustable, but the point still stands. IMO culture change should be a thing, but should take time and stability, and not be a quick change you do once you take a city.

That's kind of against the lore of the game. Pretty much whole Calradia was under Empire's rule before, yet all those cultures got preserved.

So I vote no.
Also IMO conquerors should have very hard time recruiting troops from conquered land. That would both preserve their identity, and reduce snowballing.

Instead maybe introduce troop exchange? If two factions aren't at war, they could sell foreign troops in exchange for their own or money. Same with towns and castles.

I think it would make sense to have it as a factor of culture. If there's an active stat for castles (and their surrounding villages) to be hindered by opposing/occupying culture, it could be used to affect the mix of cultural recruits found in the recruit pools, as well.

Back
Top Bottom