Should kick stun be removed in favor of viable formations in multiplayer?

Users who are viewing this thread

momcilo94

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Close quarter formation combat with large line formations is not a viable thing currently in multiplayer. Whoever is infront and has to stay locked in a position, is an easy target for a kick. Should we ditch this game mechanic to have a chance at real formations in multiplayer?

Edit: Middle ground would be, allow kicks, but they would only interrupt attacks and you would still be able to block whilst being kicked.

Edit 2: Second solution, holding SHIFT would put you into formation stance which would limit you to walking speed only but in return you would not be kickable.

Never liked the kick mechanic either, mostly because it felt useless. It looks like it is useful now but still it's kinda weird you kick somebody in their metal shield and they just stagger :party: back leaving themselves wide open.. I'm no medieval combat expert but I doubt that's what would happen, and that's why it feels out of place.

vicwiz007 said:
Never liked the kick mechanic either, mostly because it felt useless. It looks like it is useful now but still it's kinda weird you kick somebody in their metal shield and they just stagger :party: back leaving themselves wide open.. I'm no medieval combat expert but I doubt that's what would happen, and that's why it feels out of place.

How can you say its useless ? it gives you free attack lol,unless ur from turkey or russia

Never managed to use it since its short range. And also AI never kicked me in 300 hours of campaign...
So I guess if they would remove it I'd not even notice it.

Oh well, indeed I use kick, sometimes... It's when I win the tournament and want to mock the enemies I defeated :grin:
Here it is, I would gladly lose kick to have exultation!

Fabiano Caputo said:
Never managed to use it since its short range. And also AI never kicked me in 300 hours of campaign...
So I guess if they would remove it I'd not even notice it.

Oh well, indeed I use kick, sometimes... It's when I win the tournament and want to mock the enemies I defeated :grin:
Here it is, I would gladly lose kick to have exultation!

https://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/6033/ gg ez

Rainbow Dash said:
Momchilo said:
Rainbow Dash said:
Whats stopping the soldiers from attacking and kicking back?

The kick stun mate

So attack the guy before he lands a kick?

In open areas it is not a problem, you got ways to deal with kicks with good footwork and stuff. I am talking about formations where you are locked in a single spot and when you meet the enemy formation in front it comes down to who is gonna land the kick first and get a free blow. I would like to see actual formation battles in multiplayer, and not just two lines moving towards each other only for chaos to break loose when they clash.

I am talking about formations where you are locked in a single spot and when you meet the enemy formation in front it comes down to who is gonna land the kick first and get a free blow.

This scenario assumes that your teammates in the same formation are not going to help kill the guy for you

In case you did not know, kicking if you miss a kick leaves you exposed long enough that leaves you also vunerable to getting hit.

In this time span if you were to get kicked back your teammates in the formation will ideally go and artack the enemy kicking you.

It seems to me as the problem is actually not kicking, but rather you have an unorganized team with no cohesion in battle. Removing kicking will not solve the problem that is you having teammates who do not understand how to fight in formations.

I would like to see actual formation battles in multiplayer, and not just two lines moving towards each other only for chaos to break loose when they clash.

I have a feeling that you and me have very different ideas of what Infantry formations are and how they work.

Do you have a video showing Infantry formations working, ideally from a movie or a video game?

Rainbow Dash said:
I am talking about formations where you are locked in a single spot and when you meet the enemy formation in front it comes down to who is gonna land the kick first and get a free blow.

This scenario assumes that your teammates in the same formation are not going to help kill the guy for you

In case you did not know, kicking if you miss a kick leaves you exposed long enough that leaves you also vunerable to getting hit.

In this time span if you were to get kicked back your teammates in the formation will ideally go and artack the enemy kicking you.

It seems to me as the problem is actually not kicking, but rather you have an unorganized team with no cohesion in battle. Removing kicking will not solve the problem that is you having teammates who do not understand how to fight in formations.

I would like to see actual formation battles in multiplayer, and not just two lines moving towards each other only for chaos to break loose when they clash.

I have a feeling that you and me have very different ideas of what Infantry formations are and how they work.

Do you have a video showing Infantry formations working, ideally from a movie or a video game?

In most cases your team mate also has an enemy combatant in front of him that requires his attention. Your scenario is something that does happen, but you can also get slashed and kicked by the guy in front of you whilst you assist your teammate. As for my team, we play competitive not line battles, so we have no need of line formations in skirmishes, however all the formation line battles I have been in so far kicking was always a major problem, your limited movement made you a sitting duck, you would not want to be in the front rows.

As for formations in media and games it is really hard to find realistic depictions of them because a lot of it has been influenced by early hollywood battles. Maybe one thing that comes to my mind is this scene from one of my favorite TV shows Rome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7MYlRzLqD0 However even there it is not fully realistic as it would be a lot more compact and with even less openings and Pulo going Rambo would probably result in an early death for him. I am also not a realism freak, but formations are fun, and being kick stunned constantly in line battles is neither fun or realistic.

Look at my edited in solutions for kicks, I think solution number 2 would be best. Kicks would still be there and we would be able to have line formation clashes.

Formations wouldn't become viable even if you removed kicking.

There's still the problem of limited and predictable movement in a formation. The lack of mobility would be exploitable in terms of weapon range -- spam them with a longer polearm/2h and they can't hit you without breaking formation -- and character movement -- you are free to engage at your leisure while they must remain in formation.

Not to mention the countless combat tricks used to defeat opponents would be impossible while standing in formation.

Brandis_56 said:
Formations wouldn't become viable even if you removed kicking.

There's still the problem of limited and predictable movement in a formation. The lack of mobility would be exploitable in terms of weapon range -- spam them with a longer polearm/2h and they can't hit you without breaking formation -- and character movement -- you are free to engage at your leisure while they must remain in formation.

Not to mention the countless combat tricks used to defeat opponents would be impossible while standing in formation.

True but there are a lot of situations where formations are useful. Tight corridors and passages in castles, and in some situations spears can be closed in with sword and shield especially in larger battles where the opponents cannot move back so quickly to use the range of the spear. One historical example of this would be the hoplites, having a primary weapon that is the spear, they would still carry swords for when their enemies got too close, and they did.

Back
Top Bottom