Short - Combat Mechanics - Glancing Tweak Suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Glancing could do with a few minor adjustments which would have a big impact.

Swing - In Warband if you hit something at the start of your swing it'd do very little damage and bounce off. In Bannerlord it seems to do full or at least very high damage. This means that good players are now purely hitting at the start of the swing as it's basically an instant unblockable free hit and artificially speeds up the weapon to a huge extent.

Stab - With Spear and Shield or just by itself - the spear thrust speed is incredibly slow (making it difficult to counter cavalry with), and it glances constantly making it very difficult to use against infantry (who are using the as discussed instant swing).

Last edited:
Here is an example for your other thread, I recall people complaining about this sort of stuff in the alpha test yet nothing substantial has been done here in 2 years since. And now your bringing it up as well.

Swing usually does 10 damage on it's start, however it's inconsistent and sometimes you can do full 40 damage or get a glance. The real problem I find in this is that you usually can only do 10-15 damage after you chamber side swing, which makes it not only difficult af, but also unrewarding. Chambers are another problem though.
IMO this is somewhat balanced cause you usually couldn't do reliable 40 damage hit when you spam. It could either glance, or do 10dmg, not cancelling enemy's attack. Spamming should be something players should play around and here they are not that consistent as in WB

Glancing could do with a few minor adjustments which would have a big impact.

Swing - In Warband if you hit something at the start of your swing it'd do very little damage and bounce off. In Bannerlord it seems to do full or at least very high damage. This means that good players are now purely hitting at the start of the swing as it's basically an instant unblockable free hit and artificially speeds up the weapon to a huge extent.

Stab - With Spear and Shield or just by itself - the spear thrust speed is incredibly slow (making it difficult to counter cavalry with), and it glances constantly making it very difficult to use against infantry (who are using the as discussed instant swing).

YES! THIS! You've explained this way better than I could - I totally agree. I've found I often step in close to counter 2 handed spam and I get starched with an insanely quick swing that should glance/wiff. The killer, as you've pointed out, is how if you clip someone at the start of a swing (even if that's with a big clumsy weapon) the it means the speed of the hit is unreal and should be impossible with certain weapons. If they reverted this to Warband style it'd be perfect. To be fair I thought Warband was so well balanced in terms of inf using 1 handers and 2 handers and cavalry if everything was more like that it'd be fiiine.

The reason you're seeing players hitting at the start of their swing is because of two reasons:

-Over-exaggerated swing animations

and

-Lack of turn cap

These two issues go hand-in-hand. The start of a swing begins ridiculously off to the side (and even slightly behind) the person swinging their weapon. This creates a really wonky attack angle where oftentimes I can be looking 90° away from an opponent (so they're essentially off-screen) and still hit them.

To add gasoline onto the fire, the lack of turn cap allows me to spin like a Beyblade when I swing, so my weird looking-away attack strikes my opponent first. Spinning sharply not only artificially increases your swing speed, but it also increases the speed of the actual swing animation of your weapon -plus gives a damage bonus. If you don't believe me, just log on and and try over-rotating (like a Warband newbie would) when you swing -you'll see the real swing speed increase as you do it.

Until these issues are addressed -the animations and the lack of turn cap, threads like this will persist because people will be frustrated with the mechanics of the game.

They consistently struggled with getting the damage curve right - for a lot of beta, hits would bounce all the time on armour (far more than WB) and it made melee feel terrible. As @Hans 77 says, this is mostly because of the extremely wide animations, and also to some degree the 'capsule' hitbox around players I imagine. Basically melee has always needed a rework.

Back
Top Bottom