Shoey and the farmer riddle/math problem

Users who are viewing this thread

pokerrkidd

Okay so that girl in Zendar Shoey I think is her name asked me this question about a farmer who died and has 17 cows. He has 3 sons he gives One half to the oldest, one third to the second and one ninth to the youngest. So please help is this somekind of trick question or what the heck? i have tried some different things and my conclusion is always the a very painful headache. HELP!

this is actually a ridle that i heard before
17 cows and 3 sons  what you do is make it 18 cows oldest son gets 1/2  second son gets 1/3 and the youngest gets 1/9

18 : 1/2 = 9
18 : 1/3 = 6
18 : 1/9 = 2

9+6+2=17  and the last cow wasnt there =D

1/3 = 3 * (1/9)
1/2 = 4.5 * (1/9)

Youngest son gets x cows. Second son gets 3x cows. Oldest son gets 4.5x cows.

x + 3x + 4.5x = 17
8.5x = 17
x = 2

3x = 6
4.5x = 9

Well, actually, they just didn't add an important aspect. This is how it all really went down:
There was an old farmer with three sons. When he died, he wanted to spread his 17 cows amongst his sons. He wrote down a will stating the oldest son will get half of the cows, the second son will get one third, and the youngest one will get one ninth. After his death, the three brothers sat on the farm for days not knowing what to do. One day, their neighbour came along to see how they were doing after their father's death. When he heard of their issue, a smile rose on his face and he ran away to his own farm, saying he'll be back soon. He soon returned with one of his own cows with him. 'Now,' he said, 'as we have 18 cows, the math gets easier. The oldest son gets half of the 18 cows, which is nine. The second son gets one third of the 18 cows, which is six. And the youngest son gets one ninth, which would be two, accumulating a total of 17 cows. And one cow, my cow, will be left over.' He then left with his cow, wishing the boys the best of luck.

It is not easy if you have stayed up the whole night playing the Light&Darkness and have gotten Zero sleep. Lol

You don't even need the extra cow - it's basic maths: 17/2 = 8,5 (which is rounded to 9); 17/3 = 5,66 (which is rounded to 6), 17/9 = 1,88 (which is rounded to 2).

NikeBG said:
You don't even need the extra cow - it's basic maths: 17/2 = 8,5 (which is rounded to 9); 17/3 = 5,66 (which is rounded to 6), 17/9 = 1,88 (which is rounded to 2).
That's just how the damn story goes. The medieval farmers didn't know your basic maths kid.

splofot said:
Jerv243 said:
What's with this dividing nonsense... Must be witches  :shock:

Were there any male witches burned anyway? I thought men were just executed for incest or robbery or something...
No no no men who commit thinks like that go down as legends! For example Robin Hood is a thief and King Arthur 's birth is a bit messed up.

splofot said:
That's just how the damn story goes. The medieval farmers didn't know your basic maths kid.
I'm not talking about the story, but about the mod's riddle. Unless you expect us to be medieval farmers ourselves (well, I am a farmer, sort of, but not quite medieval). :razz:

And, yes, men were burned at the stake as well. Mostly heretics though.

splofot said:
One day, their neighbour came along to see how they were doing after their father's death. When he heard of their issue, a smile rose on his face and he ran away to his own farm, saying he'll be back soon. He soon returned with one of his own cows with him. 'Now,' he said, 'as we have 18 cows, the math gets easier.
BTW if there were models of cows in WB, that's how riddle quest can be remade.
A scene with 17 cows and 3 farmers where hero should bring one more cow.

Back
Top Bottom