SP - World Map Ships in Bannerlord?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Rhyuus

Recruit
Steam
Imagine sailing from Zeonica to Qasira, Varnovapol to Diathma,... from every fishermen's village to every harbour town by going into the settlement, renting a vessel (or having your own) and cast off!

*EDIT:
...ships are probably not a lightweight addition to the game but maybe TW gets inspired by the idea...
here are some ideas we've collected so far:

Economy / Trade:
Harbour cities would have a harbour office where you can rent a vessel or a shipyard where you can order a ship.
Like caravans on land, there would be trading sips on sea.

Map Movement:
Fisher- villages and harbour towns would be the points where you can start or land.
The engineering skill tree could have some perks for ships.
Engineering also works for ship reparations (like Healing does for your character and your party).

speed:
- basically faster than movement on land
- affected by varying wind direction
- more people & more load = less speed (like on land)
- damaged ships are slower
- engineering skill gives speed bonus

Ship models:
(maybe in ~2 sizes for battleships + trade ships + rafts + slight variations for sea raiders)

=> Imperial galleys,
1200px-Galley-knightshospitaller.jpg

=> Vlandian cogs,
ZVD9018.jpg

=> Sturgian longships,
1200px-Jernalder_%289288935543%29.jpg

=> Aserai dhows
FHTm-E-RutBVEW2IUml1h9zxx90ROUZ4rsVIPa7cS4rfkejkmYkh2vbmzWcCJv6LRdpUdlrFQTaE7dubxGGnrDe7mSHGh7ZyEfEO_2b5vMLoclxkijGbaoocFz2kF6cJzJmEvCY

=> Khuzait Junk-ships
il_340x270.562405631_hrmz.jpg

(Khuzait unfortunately don't have a sea port. More authentic ships would be ships from the Mongol invasions of Japan, but in comparison to the other ships junk ships could be a good alternative)

=> Battanian ...
(not sure, they don't have a harbour, but if they had ships maybe they would be something between longboad and cog?)

Ship Battles
Ship battles could work with slightly different control-options. GG Cannon started a thread specifically for commanding ship battles here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...p-battles-and-commanding.423173/#post-9438487

You could try to sink the ship, capture the ship, loot and leave, loot and burn.
It could also be interesting to attack a harbour city with ships.

Last edited:
Apparently, and be advised this is not something I am giving 100% assurance in but that I heard other users mention here and there, it is within TW plans already.
I mean, look at this print from the worldmap with the zoom unlocked. If they do want make it possible to traverse the whole map and add towns, villages and castle's everywhere, they will definitely need ships and ship battles.
92837452-10217384046897799-7195395484498788352-o.jpg

Apparently, and be advised this is not something I am giving 100% assurance in but that I heard other users mention here and there, it is within TW plans already.
I mean, look at this print from the worldmap with the zoom unlocked. If they do want make it possible to traverse the whole map and add towns, villages and castle's everywhere, they will definitely need ships and ship battles.

it almost seems far fetched that we could get the whole planet to play with, but I'm excited to see what TW is planning here.

In any case, i think ships would be a really epic addition.
-> I think the map-movement wouldn't be difficult to add (of course they could add complexity to it like wind direction affecting speed like the devs of anno1800 have done...)
-> ship-battles are surely more difficult to add, with all the ship-models, the movement, ... but damn, my mouth already waters thinking about it... this would add a refreshing new element to the classical field-battles, raids and sieges.

it almost seems far fetched that we could get the whole planet to play with, but I'm excited to see what TW is planning here.

In any case, i think ships would be a really epic addition.
-> I think the map-movement wouldn't be difficult to add (of course they could add complexity to it like wind direction affecting speed like the devs of anno1800 have done...)
-> ship-battles are surely more difficult to add, with all the ship-models, the movement, ... but damn, my mouth already waters thinking about it... this would add a refreshing new element to the classical field-battles, raids and sieges.

I think it could be somewhat similar to a fusion between 2008's Pirates of the Burning Sea and 2012's Guns of Icarus Online when in battle.

This would probably require a complete or at least a very different set of orders in the F1 to F7 keys than they currently are, though.

Also, the 1 through 9 keys would need to be split between some commanding the troops inside your ship and some commanding the other ships belonging to your army without being able to command their crew.
Possibly 1 and 2 for your crews, being 1 the infantry and 2 the ranged units.

There'd need to be commands like Chase, Ram and Board to your other ships. "Furl Sails", "Half Sails" and "Full Sails" for controlling the sails of your ship and commanded ships.

• F1 Would need to have the "SHIELDS READY!" command, also "Below Deck", "Bows on deck", "Infantry on Deck" and "All on Deck" to tell the crew of other boats to hide inside the boat, for archers to be on deck ready to shoot with Infantry inside, for infantry to be on deck ready to board with archers inside or everyone to be on deck at the same time, infantry ready to board and archers ready to shoot, which could also be issued to commanded ships. Also the "Furl Sails", "Half Sails" and "Full Sails" as I mentioned before.

• F2 Would need to have the same "Look that way" and "Face to enemy" but also "Side to enemy".

• F3 Would more directed solely for your own ships crew, while other ships's crew would be like as if in perpetual F6 under command of their captain. Similar to a fusion of both F1 and F3 keys of ground battles, with commands like "Position", "Follow Me", "Advance", "Stop" and "Fall Back", but also "Shield Wall", "Loose", "Line", "Circle", "Square" and "Column"
    Possibly in 3 steps instead of 2 steps like usual.
    So to give the "Charge" command, it would go like F3->F1->F3 while "Shield Wall" would be F3->F2->F2.

• F4 Would still command "fire at will".

• F5 Would be the key to command "Board" and "Ram", giving them a target ship.

• F6 Would forsake those ship's command to "Lieutenants in Charge"(the A.I.) or "Commander in Charge" to return command to you.

• F7 "Transfer crew" which should open a small slightly see-through window for you to choose 2 ships and which troops to send from one to the other, which they would then dock as if boarding one another and transfer those crews.

Pirates of the Burning Sea, except instead of cannons, you'd be commanding your bow troops.

Guns of Icarus, except instead of Steam Punk and flying ships, normal ships in medieval scenario.

Edit: I think I'll turn this reply into a post of its own. ?

Last edited:
Very inspiring ideas and very detailed … also the time setting of Bannerlord would be interesting because naval combat bevor gunpowder-age isn’t shown very often. I can already imagine beautiful ship models like: imperial galleys, vlandian cogs, sturgian longships, aserai dhows… a raft for looters and for you because you have to save a lot of money first… Harbour cities would have a harbour office where you can rent a vessel or a shipyard where you can order a ship.

Could also add a version of trade caravan that way as well.
As mentioned, there could be trade ships like caravans on land (but travelling faster). Sea Raiders could build their hideouts on coasts and swarm out with ships.

In battle you could try to sink the ship, capture the ship, loot and leave, loot and burn…

It could also be interesting to attack a harbour city with ships, but in this case your control options would have to switch as soon as you choose to land.

I would be perfectly happy with naval transports of the medieval variety as a start, ship-to-ship combat maybe doesn't have to be a focal point of a game called Mount & Blade? On the low-end scale I can see goods transports using rivers, lakes and the seas similar to caravans, and on the other the Aserai assembling a fleet and storming ashore (maybe with limited cavalry available?) before marching inland to besiege Poros.

Moving people and goods by ship has been, by far, the most efficient mode of transport for a very, very long time.

That's interesting, and hopeful, to hear that TW may have ships as part of their plans. References to waterfronts as well as the campaign map models for coastal settlements seem to point to maritime game play. Ships have worked well enough in VC and other total conversion mods. I'm very hopeful we see a well developed maritime aspect.

I truly hope this happens.

that's awesome, this game needs to have ships, even with the map we have now, getting around vlandia to go from sturgia to aserai would be nice but this has to mean ships will be coming at some point... maybe in 2030?

Sorry to disappoint you as I'd also like sea travel, but those areas outside the small central square are just Main_map's outer_mesh, which is present for visual horizons and can't be added to the game's playable area.

Hopefully an official follow-up to Bannerlord will add naval actions or these will be added to a full conversion mod.

+1 I think we could place minor factions or continuations of factions off shore onto islands like West of Vlandia or the two islands north of Aserai

Im not sure about sea battles but definitely boats. I also made a thread with the idea of a ferry between Southern Empire and Aserai to the two islands in between with a castle/city on them that starts off as a neutral third party or part of each respective kingdom

Imagine sailing from Zeonica to Qasira, Varnovapol to Diathma,... from every fishermen's village to every harbour town by going into the settlement, renting a vessel (or having your own) and cast off!

*EDIT:
...ships are probably not a lightweight addition to the game but maybe TW gets inspired by the idea...
here are some ideas we've collected so far:

Economy / Trade:
Harbour cities would have a harbour office where you can rent a vessel or a shipyard where you can order a ship.
Like caravans on land, there would be trading sips on sea.

Map Movement:
Fisher- villages and harbour towns would be the points where you can start or land.
The engineering skill tree could have some perks for ships.
Engineering also works for ship reparations (like Healing does for your character and your party).

speed:
- basically faster than movement on land
- affected by varying wind direction
- more people & more load = less speed (like on land)
- damaged ships are slower
- engineering skill gives speed bonus

Ship models:
(maybe in ~2 sizes for battleships + trade ships + rafts + slight variations for sea raiders)

=> Imperial galleys,
1200px-Galley-knightshospitaller.jpg

=> Vlandian cogs,
ZVD9018.jpg

=> Sturgian longships,
1200px-Jernalder_%289288935543%29.jpg

=> Aserai dhows
FHTm-E-RutBVEW2IUml1h9zxx90ROUZ4rsVIPa7cS4rfkejkmYkh2vbmzWcCJv6LRdpUdlrFQTaE7dubxGGnrDe7mSHGh7ZyEfEO_2b5vMLoclxkijGbaoocFz2kF6cJzJmEvCY

=> Khuzait Junk-ships
il_340x270.562405631_hrmz.jpg

(Khuzait unfortunately don't have a sea port. More authentic ships would be ships from the Mongol invasions of Japan, but in comparison to the other ships junk ships could be a good alternative)

=> Battanian ...
(not sure, they don't have a harbour, but if they had ships maybe they would be something between longboad and cog?)

Ship Battles
Ship battles could work with slightly different control-options. GG Cannon started a thread specifically for commanding ship battles here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...p-battles-and-commanding.423173/#post-9438487

You could try to sink the ship, capture the ship, loot and leave, loot and burn.
It could also be interesting to attack a harbour city with ships.
It would be better if there was any customisation on ship making. By the way, I loved the game techniques of viking conquest, so this can be integrated for bannerlord with improved techniques.

Back
Top Bottom