Ship Captains don't count as sailors for speed bonus

Users who are viewing this thread

Sure, here are all the relevant ones:

- the version/patch # of your game(!)
Latest beta 2.032
- whether it occured in a savegame from an older version or in a game started with the current version
Current version
- whether you tempered with any of the game files (changing them yourselves or using 3rd party fixes/mods)
Nope
- a clear and concise description of the bug
Ship Captains are not defined as sailors for speed bonus
- a note on where and when it occured and whether and how it can be reproduced
Add a ship captain to the party. Sail into water. Number of sailors will read 0 in camp menu.

rgl_log and remaining questions  are not applicable.

This is probably a simple matter of ship captains not being referenced in the list of sailors for speed bonus--should be easiest to simply check the files.

Ship Captains are still not flagged as sailors for speed bonus in 2.036.

I understand about rgl_log for normal bugs, but this is simply a design oversight, it will be present in anyone's game.

Probably a flag just needs to be added to the unit, or they need to be added to the sailor list somewhere.

Thanks for all your work! Viking Conquest is wonderful fun!

Tingyun said:
Ship Captains are still not flagged as sailors for speed bonus in 2.036.

"Ship Captains" give NPC ships a spotting bonus, not a speed bonus. Troop: ["sea_raider_leader2","Ship Captain","Captains", ....

NPC ships only get a navigation bonus if they belong to a noble lord.

Speed bonus from special troops
Code:
        (party_count_companions_of_type, ":num_sailors", "p_main_party", "trp_regular_sailors"),

(assign, ":num_norse_troops", 0),
        #(assign, ":num_viking_troops", 0),
        (try_for_range, ":troop", "trp_norse_elitearcher", "trp_norse_priest"),
          (store_character_level, ":level", ":troop"),
          (ge, ":level", 23),
          (party_count_companions_of_type, ":count", "p_main_party", ":troop"),
          (gt, ":count", 0),
          (val_add, ":num_norse_troops", ":count"),
        (end_try),
        (try_for_range, ":troop", "trp_steppe_bandit", "trp_sea_raider_leader2"),
          (party_count_companions_of_type, ":count", "p_main_party", ":troop"),
          (gt, ":count", 0),
          (val_add, ":num_norse_troops", ":count"),
        (end_try),
        (store_add, reg5, ":num_norse_troops", ":num_sailors"),	#for presentation

Sailors, Norse troops with 23 or higher level, plus some special named ones (Northmathr Vikingr, Vikingr, Danish Elite Vikingr, Svear Elite Vikingr).

If devs change any of these rules you will need to wait for a future patch.

Cheers

Hi Kalarhan,

Thanks for looking it up.

Yes, the point is Ship Captains should be added to the sailing speed list, as they are obviously as skilled sailors as the vikingr units.

I thought about mentioning Old Captains being ommitted as well, but seeing as how they are mounted, I wasn't sure if they are meant to be captains of land troops instead. But ship captains not getting the bonus seems a clear oversight.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next patch, since you have found where it can be fixed.

Tingyun said:
Yes, the point is Ship Captains should be added to the sailing speed list, as they are obviously as skilled sailors as the vikingr units.

the idea is that normal troops, but that know the sea, are better at rowing the ship, thus have a small speed bonus. The ship captain wouldn`t usually be the one doing that.
-> that is why they gave the captain a spotting bonus instead (he is better at finding enemy ships or escaping from them than a regular dude)

There is also the mechanic of the bonus. You need several troops of a type (sailor or norse) to get a increase, so adding 1 more wouldn`t really change it. In that way, if devs change the idea of the mechanic, the ship captain would need to count as more than 1.

Code:
        (val_mul, ":num_sailors", 80),
        (store_div, ":sailor_speed_percent", ":num_sailors", ":party_size"),
        (val_mul, ":num_norse_troops", 40),
        (store_div, ":norse_speed_percent", ":num_norse_troops", ":party_size"),
        (store_add, ":troop_speed_percent", ":norse_speed_percent", ":sailor_speed_percent"),

(val_min, ":troop_speed_percent", 40),	# troop speed bonus limit cap of 40% VC-2124
        (assign, reg6, ":troop_speed_percent"),					#for presentation
        (store_mul, ":troop_speed_bonus", ":troop_speed_percent", ":speed_multiplier"),
        (val_div, ":troop_speed_bonus", 100),

because of all that I think it is unlikely to change.

Cheers

Well, the ship captain when serving the player is functioning as a sailor, not a captain any longer. I would say skill and experience, not what role they might have held in a past life, is the relevant consideration. Also, I think ship captains already count as rowing for purposes of crew size/rowing speed, so in-game they already are rowing.

I also figured the speed bonus was partially about people filling a variety of roles on ship more skillfully (I have had the pleasure of taking a short trip on a replica longboat, and my lack of skill certainly slowed things down :wink: ). Not just rowing, but setting sails correctly, steering well, etc.

But yes, it is a very small influence. Happily, through the work of the devoted devs and great community members like you Kalarhan, almost all the major bugs have been fixed, so we are left to report small ones. I wouldn't have bumped the thread, but when I logged back in after months I saw the developer had replied to me, so I needed to respond.

So, while I hope it gets changed, I don't personally care much--I just try to report all possible issues. :smile:

Tingyun said:
I just try to report all possible issues

sure thingy, as it is their decision. We can discuss all we want but in the end is up to them  :grin:. The more issues players report, the better the game gets over time.

too bad you werent here around RE release (first 6 months), your reports are really good!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom