Resolved Shields Not Working in Melee

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord Earl

Karen
Regular
Quite a few times in my SP campaign, I've had the issue of attacking going right through my shield. At first I thought I was just looking too far in one direction, or blocking in the incorrect direction... but it seems to happen even if my shield is facing the oncoming sword-blow directly.

This has happened to me a number of times, I've only been in a dozen fights with a shield, but I've encountered it at least four times. This is a really serious bug, and needs investigation.

Also i want to add this happens also when you face the shield to proper direction from where the attack is coming. But the attack still goes through. Usually happens on the side. +1

As they've updated the game to have directional block even with shield there may be some inaccuracies when how it is handled.
In the first video it seems like she somehow hit your swordarm. You went as far back that her swordstrike didnt hit the shield but somehow hit your swordarm.
In the second video I can clearly see the banditleaders short axe attack from a angle where your shield is not protecting your shoulder and therefore hitting you.
The problem I currently have with blocking is that if I just for a slight second don't hold the block button, so my shield is up, but on it's way down, any attack will go through and hit you nomatter what (Not the case with arrows or thrown though).

They wanted to add a skill layer, where you take less damage to your shield if you block in the right direction, and make it a bit more possible to hit around shields.

Overall, it seems like it was poorly implemented, and has become a stupid plan.

They wanted to add a skill layer, where you take less damage to your shield if you block in the right direction, and make it a bit more possible to hit around shields.

Overall, it seems like it was poorly implemented, and has become a stupid plan.
I mean you could make the same thing "take less damage if your shield is facing proper direction" with just movement wherever(similar to the warband one). Also would be better against arrows i think. Especially in sieges.

In the first video it seems like she somehow hit your swordarm. You went as far back that her swordstrike didnt hit the shield but somehow hit your swordarm.
In the second video I can clearly see the banditleaders short axe attack from a angle where your shield is not protecting your shoulder and therefore hitting you.
She hits the left arm, you can see blood appearing on it after recoil animation resets. On second video pay attention to how long the axe is, its head "hits" me square in the middle of the shield and passes through like it's not there.
I think the problem is not just in hitboxes, but in physics as well: like animations and collisions of hitbox meshes lag behind some basic calculations that are going under the hood.
Spear upstab hits me directly in the middle of the upturned shield and hits the arm holding it
Great example of physics lagging, axe handle gets caught by a shield, yet deals damage to the neck the very next frame
This one would've been questionable if axe hit the stomach or arm, but it bypassed the shield and hit the shoulder instead
I've never seen this happen when I attack NPCs either, but maybe I'm just not paying enough attention because it's not nearly as frustrating compared to your own block being bypassed.

Last edited:
In both videos it's clearly wrong use of shield.

First you are going back and not covering your front so the edge is hitting you.

Second one you moving to the side while blocking front so you got hit on the shoulder.

Blocking is tricky in Banner lord but it always worked as it should for me.

Also you are using round shield that doesn't cover you fully so it's easy to hit side or over it.

I use same tactic when fighting sea riders in melee. They use round shields that have many weak spots even when raised.

In both videos it's clearly wrong use of shield.

First you are going back and not covering your front so the edge is hitting you.

Second one you moving to the side while blocking front so you got hit on the shoulder.

Blocking is tricky in Banner lord but it always worked as it should for me.

Also you are using round shield that doesn't cover you fully so it's easy to hit side or over it.

I use same tactic when fighting sea riders in melee. They use round shields that have many weak spots even when raised.
1st video: dude it went slightly to the left of the middle of the shield. what are you talking about. it should clearly have been blocked.
2nd video: the axe hits the edge of the shield, and the blade goes slightly in, but the handle should be stuck on the shield(should've been blocked imo)
3rd video: similar to the 2nd, but the block is much clearer. the blade of the axe doesnt go around the shield.

She hits the left arm, you can see blood appearing on it after recoil animation resets. On second video pay attention to how long the axe is, its head "hits" me square in the middle of the shield and passes through like it's not there.
I think the problem is not just in hitboxes, but in physics as well: like animations and collisions of hitbox meshes lag behind some basic calculations that are going under the hood.
Spear upstab hits me directly in the middle of the upturned shield and hits the arm holding it
Great example of physics lagging, axe handle gets caught by a shield, yet deals damage to the neck the very next frame
This one would've been questionable if axe hit the stomach or arm, but it bypassed the shield and hit the shoulder instead
I've never seen this happen when I attack NPCs either, but maybe I'm just not paying enough attention because it's not nearly as frustrating compared to your own block being bypassed.
On the axes it looks like they went around your shield to hit you so they never got stopped by the shield. The spear I think the attack pierced the shield to hit your arm maybe, but I'm not sure if that is even possible.

1st video: dude it went slightly to the left of the middle of the shield. what are you talking about. it should clearly have been blocked.
2nd video: the axe hits the edge of the shield, and the blade goes slightly in, but the handle should be stuck on the shield(should've been blocked imo)
3rd video: similar to the 2nd, but the block is much clearer. the blade of the axe doesnt go around the shield.

But You're totally not taking into account the size of shield. Small round shield need to take hit straight in the center to cover you.
In all videos that's not a clear block you show.

It looks pretty clear to me as well. The sword went through the shield. Maybe they should have a lesser strike, for if an attack clips around a shield slightly? A nick.

It looks pretty clear to me as well. The sword went through the shield. Maybe they should have a lesser strike, for if an attack clips around a shield slightly? A nick.
I would depend on what kind of weapon goes around it. If someone hits you with an axe on the shoulder the head of the axe is likely to impact first on the person than the shield if the person is not defending properly.

But You're totally not taking into account the size of shield. Small round shield need to take hit straight in the center to cover you.
In all videos that's not a clear block you show.
Im taking into account everything, and the 3 videos show everything nicely. And you can clearly see whats happening if you look in slow motion. The only thing that could do some dmg is the 2nd video axe hit, although its not logical as i explained. 1st video is clear as day. 2nd is difficult to see, but you can in slow motion, and you can see that the axe clips through the shield.

Back
Top Bottom