Shields not blocking arrows randomly is an actual mechanic (confirmed by dev)

Users who are viewing this thread

Most of the shots seem like they hit due to the unforgiving shield hitboxes, either shooting you in your foot or your hand. The only one that looks suspicious is the second clip, but even then it seems random that that shot would penetrate. This video is still a good example of how the current shield hitboxes make playing infantry frustrating, with even some large shields being too narrow or lacking coverage to protect your entire body from frontal shots.

Τhe shields themselves have force field, not in the extend of warband, but they do and they have been via patch in the days of beta. All shots shown in the video should not hit. I have a few that i examined further and did not upload them becuase I was 50/50 on if they should hit or not. The shot that I stand down and block to my right should not hit me aswell. This is rather unacceptable. The pila should not have hit also, since the game has force fields aswell.

Τhe shields themselves have force field, not in the extend of warband, but they do and they have been via patch in the days of beta. All shots shown in the video should not hit. I have a few that i examined further and did not upload them becuase I was 50/50 on if they should hit or not. The shot that I stand down and block to my right should not hit me aswell. This is rather unacceptable. The pila should not have hit also, since the game has force fields aswell.
I don't think the forcefields are as large as you seem to think they are. In the first clip you jump and get shot in the foot, the second is suspicious, at 0:22 the pila visibly hits you in your right arm where your shield was not covering, at 0:27 you can see the animation for a handshot death playing and the arrow is clearly in the tip of your hand which was not covered by the narrow oval shield, at 0:54 you raise your shield too high and a footshot death animation plays so your exposed foot was shot. I think the forcefields on each shield differs, I've noticed the Sturgian round shield is much more difficult to shoot around, even though you can often see people's feet when they use them, but most other shields seem to have much less coverage even now even if it's still slightly larger than the visible coverage of the shield.

The second clip is the only instance where you shield clearly gets hit. The rest are open to interpretation as to whether the forcefield should or should not have stopped the projectile, but it's impossible to say since we don't know exactly how large the forcefield is on each shield or in which directions it expands. Furthermore, none of these situations seem like candidates for when a penetrative shot would occur. You're using good shields against not overly powerful bows with low relative speed. I've blocked countless projectiles with shields in situations identical to the ones in the clip, so unless penetration is practically random I don't see why any of these shots would penetrate.

Last edited:
You can test forcefields by getting a friend and testing them. Because I have, the pila should not have hit since the opening between my shield and arm was millimetres of difference which means force field SHOULD block it, at 0:27, you can literally see the arrow on my chest, did you even watch the video? at 0:54, he does not shoot my legs, look where he aims. There is nothing open to interpretation. All of the shots above were bull**** and should not hit. And legshots should not exist since I cannot, in any way mechanically, adjust my shield to protect my legs effectively other than crouching.

You can test forcefields by getting a friend and testing them. Because I have, the pila should not have hit since the opening between my shield and arm was millimetres of difference which means force field SHOULD block it, at 0:27, you can literally see the arrow on my chest, did you even watch the video? at 0:54, he does not shoot my legs, look where he aims. There is nothing open to interpretation. All of the shots above were bull**** and should not hit. And legshots should not exist since I cannot, in any way mechanically, adjust my shield to protect my legs effectively other than crouching.
Specific death animations play in accordance to where you get shot, at 0:27 you character clearly grasps his hand indicating you were killed by a shot to the hand. This animation ends with your hand over your chest, which is why you might think the arrow is sticking out your chest but it is not. The same is true of the last clip, your character plays the animation where he reaches down towards his leg, indicating you were shot in the foot/leg regardless of where you think he was aiming.

Whether you tested out forcefields with a friend is irrelevant unless you tested them for hours with every shield until you could tell by instinct whether an invisible forcefield would cover you, even in situations where the angles are not straight on. Since you can't even tell where you got shot based on the death animation, I would assume you have not done such intensive testing. Now please stop making me watch your video.

Specific death animations play in accordance to where you get shot, at 0:27 you character clearly grasps his hand indicating you were killed by a shot to the hand. This animation ends with your hand over your chest, which is why you might think the arrow is sticking out your chest but it is not. The same is true of the last clip, your character plays the animation where he reaches down towards his leg, indicating you were shot in the foot/leg regardless of where you think he was aiming.

Whether you tested out forcefields with a friend is irrelevant unless you tested them for hours with every shield until you could tell by instinct whether an invisible forcefield would cover you, even in situations where the angles are not straight on. Since you can't even tell where you got shot based on the death animation, I would assume you have not done such intensive testing. Now please stop making me watch your video.

Specific animations play little role, the arrow is in my chest, you can see it when my body drops. In the last video where you talk about a legshot, it's not a legshot. I saw the full version of the video just now that I have saved. It's through the shield. You can stay an justify all TW's bad work on archery all you want, it matters little to me, there are many people who already mentioned they get hit through shields and we have tested the force fields months ago. You can stop watching my video, because I trust my 500 hours of skirmish on EA and 300 hours of beta much more than the word of an archer who tries to justify bad mechanics/unreliable hits because they play bow.

Specific animations play little role, the arrow is in my chest, you can see it when my body drops. In the last video where you talk about a legshot, it's not a legshot. I saw the full version of the video just now that I have saved. It's through the shield. You can stay an justify all TW's bad work on archery all you want, it matters little to me, there are many people who already mentioned they get hit through shields and we have tested the force fields months ago. You can stop watching my video, because I trust my 500 hours of skirmish on EA and 300 hours of beta much more than the word of an archer who tries to justify bad mechanics/unreliable hits because they play bow.
I'm not even an archer, I'm not trying to justify these shots as fair, I think they're bull**** too, I just don't think they're penetrating bull****.

Me and some friends tried recreating this bug/mechanic on the duel server yesterday. Out of approx. 100 bolts from an Arbalest, non hot through the shield. We tried multiple angles, 3 different shields (peasant, pavise, sergeant), 2 different crossbows and 3 different types of bolts. None hit the character behind the shield.

Since we can’t try out other factions/classes/weapons we could not draw a conclusion, but it seems that if this happens, it is rather random than a mechanic.

Me and some friends tried recreating this bug/mechanic on the duel server yesterday. Out of approx. 100 bolts from an Arbalest, non hot through the shield. We tried multiple angles, 3 different shields (peasant, pavise, sergeant), 2 different crossbows and 3 different types of bolts. None hit the character behind the shield.

Since we can’t try out other factions/classes/weapons we could not draw a conclusion, but it seems that if this happens, it is rather random than a mechanic.

I would not be surpised if its not a mechanic considering the multiplayer is in a pre-alpha state but having a developer say that penetration exists as an in game mechanic is strange. The problem is, mechanic or not, it exists and it's total **** and one extra burden to the countless burdens that infantry have.

I think these may be some examples of projectiles penetrating shields:

The two cheapest board shields in Warband could be penetrated from normal arrow shots, so it might be the same with the board shield I used here in the first clip - I got shot in the leg, but I held the shield down. Cavalry shields could be penetrated in Warband, and travelling at a high speed into the arrow might help it happen, which I'm guessing is what happened in the second clip. I don't remember shields getting penetrated by throwing weapons in Warband, even at point blank, but that's possibly what happened in the third clip, since I don't remember releasing the shield. Penetrating shields has always been one of the worst features in the game.

Here's me bringing up my shield to an archer but still getting shot because the shield goes in funny angles:

I guess I'm expected to recalibrate my shield after holding it up (although there's often not enough time to do so) or point my camera at a weird angle while understanding what direction my shield will be pointing as I bring it up...

Here are moments where I directed the shield properly but the arrow still went past:

Arrows could go past the round shield and kite shield in Warband, especially with footshots. It always felt horrible and unfair, and now I think it's even worse.

Here I blocked down and got hit in the upper body (I think from above):

Although, the projectile visually goes through the shield. I'm guessing that's just a visual bug. It might make it look like shield penetration. The projectile goes to the stomach (where the shield is protecting), but the blood effect happens on the shoulder.

Here I blocked up at an archer higher than myself but get hit in the leg:

I'm not exactly sure where I'm supposed to direct the shield then... And to have to direct the shield up or down at all feels ridiculous.

Here's the actual crossbow going through my shield instead of being knocked back, so it could shoot me dead in the shoulder:

I was hoping the mechanic of stunning a bow or crossbow by moving into it would be improved from Warband by making it more consistent and reliable.

Back
Top Bottom