"Shields Block on Back" actually don't block on back

Users who are viewing this thread

bestmods168

Sergeant at Arms
Made a bug report, but was told that shields taking around 60 damage when blocked on back isn't a bug. SMH. What's even the point then. Its not a question. The game just keeps going in the wrong direction. There must have been a movie night where some actors were getting hammered even when they had shields on.

My opinion summarised in two sentences:

-In SP: complete blocking of both projectile and hits when the shield is at the back. Just like this mod. ---Edit: Perhaps heavy weapons with blunt damage might be the only ones that could do some damage.
Terco_Viejo said:
This is not acceptable, a shield on the back must protect direct shots or direct hits until the integrity of the shield is compromised (same when you block front).
Shields on the back do not protect in the native; this is a fact.

-In MP: partial blocking to avoid abusive behaviour such as turtling.

Last edited:
shields shouldnt receive serious damage from any projectile besides javelins or other heavy thrown weapons that can embed into the shield.

Bump. Devs fix this, everyone agrees that this isn't working as it should. If you think you can't for some reason, communicate it with the community and find a workaround.

shields shouldnt receive serious damage from any projectile besides javelins or other heavy thrown weapons that can embed into the shield.

No... But it's not the shield that you should worry about...

But they should become heavier to symbolise just how annoying a shield would be to hold with 2 or 3 arrows coming out of it.. and perhaps there should be a random chance to take damage when holding - seeing as an arrow is more than capable of penetrating shield and the arm holding it.

And if you're wearing it on your back, and it is penetrated by an arrow... Well, I'm not sure what 4 inches of arrow penetrating past the shield will do to someone in plate, but in mail, that shield is pinned to you permanently.

+1 to this thread

A shield on the back should realistically act like a shield
Difference being, arrows and bolts often penetrate beyond the shield, which is fine when you keep it as arms length, but not as efficient if it’s sitting on your back.

Low DPS bows should do little to no damage to shields on back, while High DPS bows should do some damage (depending on armour ofc).

+1 Shield should block (at least some blunt damage) no matter where it's placed. Even if it's lying on the ground.

Your shield becomes incorporeal when placed on your back and only once you've become really good at shooting a crossbow can you sometimes will it into existence.

My point was until you get to 225 skill in crossbow, your shield on your back magically doesn't exist.
I misread your comment, yes indeed. I Hope devs can change this.

Anyone who disagrees with the current system plz leave a comment, if enough people complain about this maybe devs will revise it.
Also, if you agree with the current system tell us why (I doubt anyone does).

it's very easy to post a simple and effective balancing on back shield
something like a modifiler making you 5% slower on all action while holding it in hand, x2 if it's on the back, x3 if both, multiplier based on shield size
this way you don't hurt the orthodox play style, the varangian guard style could be done without significant advantage and turtle lover can be a turtle

but this is taleworlds we don't do this here, deductive changes are the only choice. If it doesn't suit the vision we remove it.

Back
Top Bottom