MP Shields are op and there aren't enough skills to open up an opponent

Users who are viewing this thread

Bash does literally nothing against someone with a shield.
You could also argue swords does literally nothing against someone ...if you stand ten meters away and swing around in the air.
Even if it does very little against someone keeping the shield up you can literally stun the guy if he attempts to hit you while the shield gets lowered.

Last edited:
You could also argue swords does literally nothing against someone ...if you stand ten meters away and swing around in the air.
Even if it does very little against someone keeping the shield up you can literally stun the guy if he attempts to hit you while the shield gets lowered.
but op asked for ways to kill shielders. A bash does not help you at all.

but op asked for ways to kill shielders. A bash does not help you at all.
Shields are after all meant to protect you. Imagine using OPs second solution of lowering overall shield health ...then we'd see shields break all the time from the archer spam in siege mode, and such behavior would create other balance issues. Gotta think of the whole perspective, not just what's preferably to (ones) play style.

Press E (I think, haven't played MP for a week).
It will lower their shield and stun them for a moment enough to get a hit in before they are able to raise their shield again, then just repeat.
I think you mixed kicking with bashing because bash does LITERALLY nothing to shields and kicking is basically useless because you can't reliably follow up with attack. There is absolutely no way to win against turtle if he decides to stay behind the shield.

I think you mixed kicking with bashing because bash does LITERALLY nothing to shields and kicking is basically useless because you can't reliably follow up with attack. There is absolutely no way to win against turtle if he decides to stay behind the shield.
There's absolutely a way to win against a turtle. Destroy the shield / run your circle around him finding the weak spot / wait for his attacks to stun him. I don't see the real issue, which by the sounds of it is that combat sometimes takes some extra time, or that there are different play styles. I usually go full on two-handed menavlion rage style, archer or cav, but I don't find cowardice as annoying as the thread portrays it. It's all about finding the weak spots, and not just requesting more weak spots which can give additional unwanted side effects as I said in the post after the one you quoted;
Shields are after all meant to protect you. Imagine using OPs second solution of lowering overall shield health ...then we'd see shields break all the time from the archer spam in siege mode, and such behavior would create other balance issues. Gotta think of the whole perspective, not just what's preferably to (ones) play style.

There's absolutely a way to win against a turtle. Destroy the shield / run your circle around him finding the weak spot / wait for his attacks to stun him. I don't see the real issue, which by the sounds of it is that combat sometimes takes some extra time, or that there are different play styles. I usually go full on two-handed menavlion rage style, archer or cav, but I don't find cowardice as annoying as the thread portrays it. It's all about finding the weak spots, and not just requesting more weak spots which can give additional unwanted side effects as I said in the post after the one you quoted;
Destroying a shield is not a real solution. Just yesterday during skirm match there was just me and other guy were only ones left and we hit our shields for two long minutes and after that it took some extra time to finish it. Funny thing was neither of us took damage during shield phase and neither couldn't get past others shield block, but once shields were out of the picture then the magic happened.
Circling around is also not a solution because all he need to do is look at you..

I'm guessing you play siege or TDM, because nobody at their right mind would use shock troops in skirmish (because they don't have shields). Hiding behind the shield is not much of a problem with those gamemodes due to chaotic nature of playstyle but in skirmish or in any 1v1 it is a problem.

And solution for shields breaking from arrows: Keep the current pierce damage against shields but buff cut and blunt damage to shields.

Last edited:
Yeah what the hell, the tank of shields is one thing, but the worst thing about them is that in the current state of bannerlord there’s not very many “skill” mechanics like warband. You can’t feint a dude out, or chamber him, or double hit, or hilt spam. Two good players can be in a fight for 10 minutes bashing each other in the shield since it’s so easy to block before an attack actually hits you

Yeah what the hell, the tank of shields is one thing, but the worst thing about them is that in the current state of bannerlord there’s not very many “skill” mechanics like warband. You can’t feint a dude out, or chamber him, or double hit, or hilt spam. Two good players can be in a fight for 10 minutes bashing each other in the shield since it’s so easy to block before an attack actually hits you

No doubt one of the reasons why TW had introduced a "block delay" depending on what other action you had just taken before based on the physical position of the arms. However that was shut down by the community and they reverted that change to just be a "server side setting". Maybe it should just be implemented for shields?

While I'm not sure that kind of seemingly random block delay was the right way to do it I do agree with having some mechanic to open up turtlers should exist as unfortunately kick/bash isn't serving that role currently.

No doubt one of the reasons why TW had introduced a "block delay" depending on what other action you had just taken before based on the physical position of the arms. However that was shut down by the community and they reverted that change to just be a "server side setting". Maybe it should just be implemented for shields?

While I'm not sure that kind of seemingly random block delay was the right way to do it I do agree with having some mechanic to open up turtlers should exist as unfortunately kick/bash isn't serving that role currently.
They put in block delay instead of making combat skill based? Wtf

The block delay is rly ****, you actually need to react pretty fast to feints or it wont block. Just adds to the feel of having blocked but it didnt ingame its frustrating.

Blocks should be instant regardless of shield or not. Shields should be able to block an infinite amount of arrows, however take no more than 4-5 hits from an axe.

Imo the big issue right now is how 1handed weapons still deal a lot of damage. Ie pole arms and 2-handers are **** and armor seems to be broken.

Blocks should be instant regardless of shield or not. Shields should be able to block an infinite amount of arrows, however take no more than 4-5 hits from an axe.

Imo the big issue right now is how 1handed weapons still deal a lot of damage. Ie pole arms and 2-handers are **** and armor seems to be broken.

Are you being sarcastic?

Kick and bash needs a extra Millie second of stun to sneak in the attack.

need animation:
Kick a shields = small push back
Kick non shields = push back with stun dance
bash a shields = stun dance - opportunity to strike
Bash non shields = fly landing on ur back

flying on ur back from a shield bash or a horse ram = should give a opportunity to fast recover (example hit the space button But only after landed on the ground but with a 2 seconds opening) before you lose ur chance

no shields should block indefinite hits from axe, and no more than 4-5 arrows

The issue stems mostly from the damage bonus for blocking in the right direction and stance, which can reach up to 60% less damage. Simply changing these multipliers will make shields feel immediately a lot less durable. I find 30%, with no stance bonus, to be a good value.
+1 might be the easiest first step in the right direction

Want to add that a healthier shield doesnt really help new players. They just hide behind their shield while getting spammed by better players. It just makes an awful combat experience for both.

Back
Top Bottom