Shield walls and choke points in Captain mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

There is life beyond the Vikings... hoplitic phalanxes, triple Roman line, chiliarchai and Byzantine parentaxis etc.

Yes but this is not quite how this game works. I also think it never will. Spears in this game have an anti cavalry purpouse and are not the alround good weapon it's in reality. This is due to make the rock paper sissor that is the strategy part of the game more pronounced and fun.

All I really want is my guys is to just hold a small area, shields up, for at least 20 seconds so my buds can attack the enemy ass. Traditionally a shield wall is a shield wall.

All I really want is my guys is to just hold a small area, shields up, for at least 20 seconds so my buds can attack the enemy ass. Traditionally a shield wall is a shield wall.

Having played a lot of Captains Mode I've seen it work as you wanted, holding off a larger force for 1-2 minutes allowing a flank to sandwhich them in but it's pretty rare to work out like that. The bridge outside C castle on the Island map as well as alleyways on the Streets map for example. Generally it requires the units attacking your shield wall to be lower damage shield units themselves or skirmishers and you might see something of a stale mate depending how well you setup your wall.

It's hit or miss for the reasons mentioned already: shock troops and anything that manages to get around the line will decimate it as they block in one direction only.

Numbers don't mean everything though and often a smaller force can prevail by using better tactics, mainly formations and positioning, knowing when to charge, and personal combat skill.

I have been playing it, and it mostly seems like guess work- trusting your archer team to take advantage of you turning the enemy's back towards you, or hoping that nearby infantry unit will attack the flank you just exposed.

I've just had some several excellent games, and I feel I did a lot- that didn't involve trying to hold a choke point against superior forces (it's better to withdraw). But while I was exhilarated to help my team to the win, I did feel a little ripped off that my clever sacrifices were not appreciated. Some of my best moves for my team resulted in a low K/D rate.

But I am pretty sure my team mates appreciated what I did, and that's all I really care about. My e peen is already massive, but I do worry about others.

Yes but this is not quite how this game works. I also think it never will. Spears in this game have an anti cavalry purpouse and are not the alround good weapon it's in reality. This is due to make the rock paper sissor that is the strategy part of the game more pronounced and fun.

That is the problem, that it works this badly because of several factors.

1. In Bannerlord, the "stand closer/spread out" command has been removed (or not included). With this order you could handle formations in closed order without their "aggressiveness" being compromised.

2. Only Sturgian shields have the advantage of being able to be raised above the head. If the AI eventually receives fire from an elevated enemy position there would be no need to order shieldwall if the AI were able to protect itself efficiently rising it shield. Conceptually it is interpreted as a defensive formation, when in reality it is a polyvalent one; shieldwall, phalanx...etc...it is the same. "Shield wall" formed by soldiers in tight formation, shoulder to shoulder, holding their shields so that they stick together or overlap. Each soldier benefits from the protection of their neighbours' shields, as well as their own.

3. Intentionally induced passivity to the agent.

4. There is no order for the use of weapons

---What we have, it's not a shieldwall formation, it's an undercooked substitute.

Back
Top Bottom