Shield Wall perk changes the hitbox but not the texture.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, as the titel says. The shield wall perk has "+20% Shield Area vs Ranged Weapons".

This perk is ridiculous, not because it is OP or useless but because the hitbox is increased without the texture being also increased.
As an archer the hitbox changes for the same texture which just makes it RNG as there is no way to know which perk the opponent has chosen.

Who tf thought an invisible variable hitbox is a good idea?
Also why do ranged and melee have different Shield Areas, what is that about?

Another great example of each patch being 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards. SAD!

JoTTYnj.png
KRDsWPa.png

Right is with shield wall, left without....

Last edited:
I replied in the other forum to your thread about this:
Why the shields blocking area isnt the same with the melee one, and why its not 100% accurate to the "texture"
Why are we doing it:
We can't expect a 100% directional input by the players for every incoming attack/missle. Being 100% accurate would mean that the players somehow need to be able to not only block in the correct direction, but also at the right angle with the weapon and the correct arm position. Which are things only some VR games really make players do. Or maybe QWOP lol

Instead, we assume that in real life someone holding a shield, would have a certain “radius” around where the shield is, where that someone could quickly/intuitively react and block incoming attacks. Putting that input into the responsibility of the players would add a crazy new layer to our combat gameplay and complicate it massively. I think this “wiggle room” is a fair thing to put into the hands of the game/character and not the players.

So this "force field" / "wiggle room" around your shield, simulates the minuscule adjustments your character does as a reaction to incoming threats.

Why does the melee and ranged hitbox differ?
By nature in M&B the blocking cones need to be bigger than the actual mesh (shield, sword etc.), since we can't expect a 100% directional input by the players for every incoming attack. We are using a 4 directional combat system and not something like other games have tried and failed to pull off, where you could attack from any direction, 360 degrees.

Our weapons have blocking cones, those define the areas they are blocking incoming attacks from. Since we have different sizes of shields and weapons, we would need a custom block cone for every one of them, making it so you would have to basically relearn blocking with every new weapon you pick up. It would totally shake up the game balance as well and in the end it would actually feel less consistent. So no matter what your weapon is, or what shape your shield is, the blocking cone stays consitent inside the weapons class.

Blocking with shields already is harder than in warband (since we have directional blocking with it as well now to a degree) and there is no balance reason to punish shield users additionally and make the game unnecessarily harder in that regard.

On the other hand I see the problem you bring up, with it being a gamble and making it inconstient for this perk in particular. I'll check it out. Sadly its not so easy for us to just scale a shield, but Ill try to find something else.

I replied in the other forum to your thread about this:
Why the shields blocking area isnt the same with the melee one, and why its not 100% accurate to the "texture"

On the other hand I see the problem you bring up, with it being a gamble and making it inconstient for this perk in particular. I'll check it out. Sadly its not so easy for us to just scale a shield, but Ill try to find something else.
I also reacted to the other topic :smile:, I just made one here and in the technical section because I wanted discussion as I found it weird this wasn't spotted before.

Wouldn't the simplest way be to add another shield? I think SP should have some assets that would be suitable, if the shield wall perk gives a stronger shield (don't remember) then this would be desirable as it is annoying to not know the stats of the equipment you are facing (an annoyance of me in general that gear has become hard to spot).

I also reacted to the other topic :smile:, I just made one here and in the technical section because I wanted discussion as I found it weird this wasn't spotted before.

Wouldn't the simplest way be to add another shield? I think SP should have some assets that would be suitable, if the shield wall perk gives a stronger shield (don't remember) then this would be desirable as it is annoying to not know the stats of the equipment you are facing (an annoyance of me in general that gear has become hard to spot).
Yeah Ill go over many of the perks soon. I agree that this is actually a problem, so there will definitely be changes to this perk, as noone is really picking it either.

Back
Top Bottom