Resolved Shield Wall formation spreads soldiers Beta 1.4.1

Users who are viewing this thread

In Beta 1.4.1 the Shield Wall formation does not function correctly if the control group is over ~160 men.

Here Is me trying to get my 300+ men into shield wall, notice the properly held shields but they are spaced very far apart:

RbcsZL1.jpg

Then I used F7 to split the group in two, one group having 160 men, the other 176. Then put both groups into Shield Wall. The group with 160 formed up correctly, the group with 176 maintained the loose formation with shields held up.

QM5e82n.jpg

aqjab9T.jpg

I'm running mods, you'll see I have non vanilla troops names. However I am not running any mods that have any direct impact on combat, so I highly doubt they are the culprit.

In Beta 1.4.1 the Shield Wall formation does not function correctly if the control group is over ~160 men.

Here Is me trying to get my 300+ men into shield wall, notice the properly held shields but they are spaced very far apart:

RbcsZL1.jpg

Then I used F7 to split the group in two, one group having 160 men, the other 176. Then put both groups into Shield Wall. The group with 160 formed up correctly, the group with 176 maintained the loose formation with shields held up.

QM5e82n.jpg

aqjab9T.jpg

I'm running mods, you'll see I have non vanilla troops names. However I am not running any mods that have any direct impact on combat, so I highly doubt they are the culprit.
Wow, so that's why my shieldwall bugged out. My infantry group usually have 170+ men and spread out exactly like this. I will try to splitting to see if it work.

Wow, so that's why my shieldwall bugged out. My infantry group usually have 170+ men and spread out exactly like this. I will try to splitting to see if it work.

Another problem that complicated the issue, is if I split troops into control groups 6-9 it crashes my game.

Worked fine if I split them into 4 or 5.

So that's what was going on. I thought troop types may have had an effect on it, as one battle worked fine, then I went on a recruitment world tour in Battania and in the next battle my shieldwall was this. I guess I'll split them up until a patch.

mlGGUxr.jpg

Hopefully if we keep this topic up on top of the page TaleWorlds will see it and get on a fix.

The bug makes large army battles a real pain.

I have been using square instead of shieldwall now. In square troops also raise shield and the much deeper rank mean that cavalries can't just walk through them without getting mobbed, unlike shieldwall which acted more like a curtain against horses.

Some other users have figured out that the problem relates to mounted soldiers in your infantry formation.

Apparently if you order the infantry formation to dismount before anything else, you can avoid this bug.

The issue is one of the units is 'mounted' and mounted units always use a spread out formations.

Tell the unit to unmount, wait about 5 seconds, then they will behave normally.

Unfortunately some of the mounted lords are assigned to the infantry group instead of cav which is creating this issue. The bugged unit starts with the cav units so its not easily apparent that this is the root cause of this issue.

The issue is one of the units is 'mounted' and mounted units always use a spread out formations.

Tell the unit to unmount, wait about 5 seconds, then they will behave normally.

Unfortunately some of the mounted lords are assigned to the infantry group instead of cav which is creating this issue. The bugged unit starts with the cav units so its not easily apparent that this is the root cause of this issue.

This could happen for example if you create a party with a mounted companion. Default formation for companions is always Infantry. So one mounted companion could lead to this issue if he/she is in your army. But why splitting this group "fix" this?

This could happen for example if you create a party with a mounted companion. Default formation for companions is always Infantry. So one mounted companion could lead to this issue if he/she is in your army. But why splitting this group "fix" this?

Splitting them only helped because it put the mounted soldier in a different group.

I was experimenting with fixes by reloading a battle with Khuzaits, so I was interrupted every time by horse archers.

I eventually figured out you could just order your infantry to dismount, and that fixed it without having to split the group.

It seems like this is a large army problem. I bet Taleworlds knows but just havent got there yet to make the formations fix. the fact the respective formations dont get aligned and only 4 formations are saved. heavy infantry should be tier 5 infantry, heavy cav and light cav, also spearmen should have their own category. mixing spears and swordsmen is rubbish
I put my infantry that are named archers ffs, into heavy cav and crashed the game wtf

Last edited:
I have the same issue. First i thought it might be related to tactics skill of my sergeant, but it is not. Would be nice if we could change/dismiss sergeants. Saying that problem with formations occurs only if i lead an army (as companions in army become sergeants). If it's party fight, formations works fine.

Back
Top Bottom